Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:31 PM

71 posts, read 99,256 times

Advertisements

I'm big a big av person. Tell me your budget and size and I'll tell you the best slick deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:33 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
I like HH Gregg. Regardless of the settings in the store you will need to adjust for home use. They use a display mode which makes things difficult because the tv is not necessarily set up properly. Find a salesperson that will dg into the settings and make adjustments for you. I have a 2 Vizio LED tvs and love them. I also have a Samsung LCD HDTV that is also very nice but the LED tvs do a better job in my opinion. Most places will deliver.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I'm big a big av person. Tell me your budget and size and I'll tell you the best slick deal.
I want in

55", under 500 bucks. I realize this is low end.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
OP, check out the rting website for extensive reviews and calibration settings as well as a huge FAQ db.

Rtings.com - Reviews and Ratings

I think the larger local retailers are forced to show the pre-made feeds on their in store displays (as the manufacturer wants their sets to be shown in an optimum light).

Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Not sure if it was a play on words, but there are many threads on the site you "reference " above. I am very interested in the Walmart in store clearance deals where you can pick up TVs for insanely low prices (if you know where to look and have good price matching with your credit cards).

Old 02-05-2017, 09:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I want in

55", under 500 bucks. I realize this is low end.
Click this every day and you will find a deal, often with no sales tax and free shipping:

Best Deals Online - Daily Deals and Discount Coupons

Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
We have a 65" Vizio 4k Smart TV, it was $850 when we got it at Walnart. That was about 1 year ago. It still works perfectly fine and has great picture, just watched the SB on it and it was great. ..until the last quarter anyway

Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Read the AVS Forums so see what others say that watch a lot of action sports:
Best 65" plus LCD to replace excellent Plasma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Also,
https://www.cnet.com/news/a-plasma-l...de-to-led-lcd/

And, more firms will offer OLED this Spring!

Once you decide:

Shop Newegg outlet online; save sales tax. Usually free shipping. Great returns policy.

Or, order/buy at Costco, they double mfr warranty and if you use their credit card, it adds another year.
If they don't collect it at time of purchase, in theory you owe it when you file your taxes.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Consumer Reports is just one place with some in-depth reviews.

I am hesitant, also. We have a circa 2008 Insignia plasma and the picture for watching sports is just great.
No rough edges in motion.
But, it is 50" and I would like to upsize. Maybe to 65".
I watch hockey, and I want the same picture quality and don't know if I can get it in an LED TV for any reasonable price.

I notice that most nice bright TVs on display don't show much fast motion, stop and start, and that makes me nervous about getting happy.
I just bought a Samsung 4k SUHD this Christmas, the picture quality is amazing. The limited 4k content available makes you feel like you are there and it up converts very well.

For sports, the difference between my old plasma TV's and the new sets isn't that huge once you are outside the range by which you can see higher resolution. The benefit to the led set is that you can easily move it and the sets are relatively inexpensive, especially if you are patient and know where to find deals.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:46 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Insignia plasmas were Samsung panels. Plasmas were excellent TVs but unfortunately they are no longer made. Excellent black levels and motion handling, and no side angle viewing fade. The poor side angle viewing is a major drawback of LCD/LED, but they are getting better.

If side angle viewing is a concern, then consider an LG model which uses an IPS panel. IPS has much better viewing angles but the black level and contrast may not be as good as a VA panel by Samsung. Some of the Sony TVs such as 850D or 650D also use an IPS panel and have better video processing than LG.

One of the best Samsung LEDs is the 55 inch KS8000 which is a great value when priced at $999. It has most of the high end 4K specs of their top tier models at a lower price. But it does have limited viewing angles as a VA panel, but decent. Wait a month or so and their new QLED models for 2017 are supposed to have much superior viewing angles. Which is a major breakthrough for LCD/LED, unless you opt for LG OLED, which is a different type panel at a higher price point.

At the budget level, the Hisense 55 inch 4K model is often priced at $449 or $499 at Best Buy, and has good reviews for a VA panel. And Target has a Westinghouse 55 inch 4K for $379, and HHG has a Haier model for a similar price.

But a basic 1080p model is still fine for basic HD cable, satellite, or antenna viewing. But most of the newer models are now 4K.

Some of the Vizio TVs are good, but beware some models do not have a built in tuner for antenna reception. A cable or satellite box is required, or external tuner box for over the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary