Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 36,693 times

Advertisements

Anybody know of any child care centers in the Raleigh area that are open until 8pm? We are planning to move there in the next year or so and I am a registered nurse who has only worked in the hospital setting. Often hospital RN day shift hours are 7am-7pm. So I found it strange that even the child care centers associated with WakeMed, Duke, and Rex all close at 6pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Unfortunately all of the child care centers I looked at only open until 6 pm. It's so hard, because most people work until 6!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:51 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecualumni View Post
Anybody know of any child care centers in the Raleigh area that are open until 8pm? We are planning to move there in the next year or so and I am a registered nurse who has only worked in the hospital setting. Often hospital RN day shift hours are 7am-7pm. So I found it strange that even the child care centers associated with WakeMed, Duke, and Rex all close at 6pm.
Perhaps your new HR office has some ideas. Seems like it would be a common concern.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:45 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
I always found it weird that the hours of those places don't extend a bit further beyond work hours for most people.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM

230 posts, read 255,646 times
I've always been a little jealous of the convenience that "Seattle Grace/Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital" offers for the docs with kids! They never have any issues with childcare.

Let me know if you find any options. I have been wondering how to coordinate childcare with my future work schedule and husband's schedule.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 36,693 times
I know! I have never seen a hospital with child care INSIDE the hospital in real life! And it always seems as if they are open 24 hours. My current hospital in Greenville, has a child care center across the street though it's not exactly walking distance b/c the campus is so huge. And it's crazy expensive.

I hope to get a non-hospital job with more standard hours. But I checked one random Raleigh elementary school website and school doesn't even start until 9:15am??? Never heard of such a late start. It's usually b/t 7:30-7:45am around here.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
I know! I have never seen a hospital with child care INSIDE the hospital in real life! And it always seems as if they are open 24 hours. My current hospital in Greenville, has a child care center across the street though it's not exactly walking distance b/c the campus is so huge. And it's crazy expensive.

I hope to get a non-hospital job with more standard hours. But I checked one random Raleigh elementary school website and school doesn't even start until 9:15am??? Never heard of such a late start. It's usually b/t 7:30-7:45am around here.
Many public schools offer before and after school on site childcare for parents that work. You should look into it. Here's a link:

https://www.ymcatriangle.org/program...ry-family-ymca

Old 02-06-2017, 12:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
The high schools start earlier than the Elementary schools. Every now and then there is talk of switching them, since high schoolers often work night jobs, etc. 9:15 does seem pretty late if both parents work.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
There are a couple of elementary schools that start at 7:45, Davis Drive Elementary is one, I think Apex Elementary might be an early start. But the vast majority are 9:15 (you can drop off starting at 8:45). The buses have to do all three levels of schools, so generally it's HS at 7:20, MS at 8:15 and elementary at 9:15 start times (with very few exceptions).

Old 02-06-2017, 07:19 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I always found it weird that the hours of those places don't extend a bit further beyond work hours for most people.
Very difficult to staff child-care workers for programs that late....6:00 is industry standard for most school-aged childcare programs for that and several other reasons.... plus it goes into meal-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary