Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM

54 posts, read 347,011 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do with my grandkids when they come to visit? The girl is 10 and the boy is 13 (and slightly autistic). I thought maybe a museum but don't know anything about them in the Raleigh area since we've just recently moved here. Any ideas of what we can do for fun???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,028,822 times
The science museum in Durham is always a hit, even with my 13 year old DD. The zoo in Asheboro is nice this time of year. The Imax theater in downtown Raleigh is cool for that age. The planetarium in Chapel Hill is fun and educational. For the girl (or the boy if he's into it) there are several paint your own pottery type places. Frankies Fun park is great for all ages of kids if you can deal with it out there (laser tag, arcade, etc).

Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM

54 posts, read 347,011 times
Thanks for all the ideas! Keep them coming! They're only here for 3 days so I'm hoping to find something not too far away.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM

108 posts, read 493,310 times
The museum in Durham, as the previous poster mention should be a hit. Our family loves it. There is a great restaurant.
Depending on their interests and where they are from, renting a canoe and going out on Falls Lake can be a wonderful way to spend the day. Paddle Creek has canoes and Kayaks for rent.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,434,736 times
It may not be your favorite way to spend an afternoon,but Frankie's is almost always a hit. My children (12 and 10) love it. Also, there is a restaurant there.

Frankie's Fun Park

Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 AM

546 posts, read 2,411,851 times
It's not Frankie's but believe it or not my kids love walking around Duke or Uncs' campus and then getting ice cream. There is also jellybeans, ice skating, and Old Salem in Winston Salem.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM

92 posts, read 368,383 times
If the weather is nice, which it is getting better this time of year, you could always take a picnic lunch and explore Umstead Park or Pullen Park. There are lots of trails there (Umstead) to explore, too. Pullen Park and Lake Lynn have areas for feeding the ducks and fish. Duke Gardens is simply beautiful this time of year as well. However, to get right down to it, if your grandkids are anything like my kids, they'd just as soon go to a mall (any of the three biggies are acceptable to them) or go to the movies!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,415,012 times
If the children are so inclined, and even if they're not and you think they need the exposure, try any of the museums in downtown Raleigh. While you're downtown, perhaps you could establish a scavenger hunt of sorts, too -- who "slept here" or other interesting little facts.

Print out, from the internet, a sheet of interesting, or little-known facts, about Raleigh. Check out a few books on Raleigh, its history, sites to see, whatever. Put the books on the coffee table, or the breakfast table, and let them pick something -- the 'ground rules' being you eliminate ahead of time anything your are not willing to do -- ie. the mall or whatever.

Depending upon the exhibit, maybe the NC Art Museum? You can still go to the museum for the regular exhibit.

If the weather is nice, and you feel like it, walk through the flea market on the State Fairgrounds, on a Saturday or Sunday. Go early. Encourage them to actually stop and look at something -- maybe ask them to ID something you know they may not be able to, like a sifter or old sieve or other kitchen tool seldom used, some sports memorabilia, items from your own childhood -- might lead to a wonderful opportunity to share something from your time.

Take them to a Canes game? or one of the college games, if you can get tickets? -- sometimes a less popular sport for the general public, say a soccer game, or something like that? My daughter and I could always get into soccer games at UNC (at the right time of the year, of course). Go watch the Rail Hawks.

If you want some time at home, to visit with the parents, or be able to relax, pull a recipe the 10 and 13 year olds could handle, and let them get in the kitchen and cook -- bake cookies, make fudge, lemonade or something. They should be able to pull-off a simple meal of sandwiches. Make them clean-up, even if it's just rinsing the dishes and loading the dishwasher. If you have dog(s) let them walk them on a leash, sticking to the neighborhood. If you are my age, give them some 'oldies' to listen to, and laugh at the lyrics. Get them to run the vacuum cleaner upstairs for you, if you have an upstairs, and they are staying there. Hand them brushes, and a bucket of paint, and let them spruce-up the fence a la Tom Sawyer.

If it's safe enough, ride the city bus with them. My daughter used to like to do that, down in Wilmington, just to see different people and areas of the city. Not advisable if you don't feel safe doing it. We'd usually pick a destination ahead of time, get a bus schedule, go there, combine some other activity with it like perhaps lunch, and then ride the bus back.

Last edited by RDSLOTS; 03-03-2008 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary