Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU (HANDS OVER EARS).

This will either be a bust or we will get a foot of snow.
With the temperature of the ground (it's going to be 75 degrees today), we'd need the equivalent of a 3 foot storm to get a foot of snow on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
With the temperature of the ground (it's going to be 75 degrees today), we'd need the equivalent of a 3 foot storm to get a foot of snow on the ground.
Yeah the problem here is a snowflake flies and no one drives so the roads will get a coating of something. It's not like up north where they call for five inches before noon and everyone goes about their business.

I am hoping you are correct though. It's 63* right now and I'm cold. I am DONE with winter.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
My husband said people in Harris teeter were already stocking up last night...for the possible inch of snow?? I mean, a blizzard I get but one day of an inch? You can drive in that.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU (HANDS OVER EARS).

This will either be a bust or we will get a foot of snow.
We get weeks of sub-freezing temps in January on either end of a storm that ends up barely resulting in an inch or two.....potentially getting a 3+ inch accumulation in March with 60s/70s days before and after....North Carolina!!!!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Yeah the problem here is a snowflake flies and no one drives so the roads will get a coating of something. It's not like up north where they call for five inches before noon and everyone goes about their business.

I am hoping you are correct though. It's 63* right now and I'm cold. I am DONE with winter.
Yeah...true.

I think it'll be pretty tough for the snow to accumulate on the roads, but I may be wrong. It'd have to snow REALLY hard, but it sounds like we're going to be right on the cusp of rain/snow, so I feel like it'll likely be a mix.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
I remember close to 15 years ago in Colorado we had a late March storm with over 3 feet of snow. It had been in the 70's the week before. It was one of those heavy wet snows, closed down the whole area for close to a week. Many roofs collapsed due to the weight of the snow. Of course that was Colorado....
You just never know what mother nature has in store.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:37 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
So, is the consensus that snow will not stay around, due to ground temp? I'm debating when *and* whether to do my weekend grocery shopping. I think it's going to be crazy at all stores on Saturday, as silly as that sounds.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
My husband said people in Harris teeter were already stocking up last night...for the possible inch of snow?? I mean, a blizzard I get but one day of an inch? You can drive in that.
I refuse to grocery shop. I may not even go get stuff I need. How 'bout that?

Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I remember close to 15 years ago in Colorado we had a late March storm with over 3 feet of snow. It had been in the 70's the week before. It was one of those heavy wet snows, closed down the whole area for close to a week. Many roofs collapsed due to the weight of the snow. Of course that was Colorado....
You just never know what mother nature has in store.
Quiet, you.

Remember the 1993 nor'easter...it snowed in NY, then freezing rain. I could jump up and down on the lawn and it didn't so much as crinkle. Our cars were encased in a half inch of ice and frozen to the driveway. Took my dad and I hours to release them. That storm rocked the Carolinas too. Like a hurricane in March. We didn't lose power luckily.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
My prediction is that it's going to be gross on Sunday, but not actually frozen. Ready to be moving on full force into Spring now, Mother Nature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary