Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,216,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacciopesce View Post
There does not appear to be a crime statistic metric that can accurately assess the level of bizarreness of crimes.

If there were, Cary would easily trounce other areas of the Triangle for regularly producing weird crime stories. Maybe Apex second on the list.

What is it about Cary that makes this so?
Not much else to report on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,530,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
That's according to CNN.

CNN will be in the news tomorrow, after about 10:00AM ET.

James O'Keefe hints that his next big target is CNN | Washington Examiner

Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,344,522 times
So WRAL reports this as just "a 27 year-old Cary man" but when the admin wants to stop 7 countries from sending immigrants over until they can be vetted WRAL continually referred to it as a "Muslim ban".

Got it.

Seriously, I'm not a right wing nut, I'm a full blown leftie, but it really is starting to get irritating.

Put me down as happy this guy was stopped by his own ego. While you can debate the finer points of automatic vs semi-automatic weapons to your hearts content, the fact remains the guy possessed an assault rifle and a bunch of ammunition that was designed for a single purpose, and no it's not to hunt deer.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,934,941 times
"Garrett Asger Grimsley"

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 PM

3,860 posts, read 4,246,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So WRAL reports this as just "a 27 year-old Cary man" but when the admin wants to stop 7 countries from sending immigrants over until they can be vetted WRAL continually referred to it as a "Muslim ban".

Got it.

Seriously, I'm not a right wing nut, I'm a full blown leftie, but it really is starting to get irritating.

Put me down as happy this guy was stopped by his own ego. While you can debate the finer points of automatic vs semi-automatic weapons to your hearts content, the fact remains the guy possessed an assault rifle and a bunch of ammunition that was designed for a single purpose, and no it's not to hunt deer.
They're already vetted. This is a full blown case of an American psycho and they come a dollar a dozen with this kind of weapon and ammo, not the Taliban.

Last edited by RedZin; 02-23-2017 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Removed last sentence.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:19 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,413,269 times
Quote:

Got it.

Assault rifle is full auto which I haven't seen anyone confirm that yet. Assault rifles are restricted under the NFA and you have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to purchase. Plus you have to have a ton of money. The average nfa full auto gun will cost $30,000+ in order to legally purchase since they had to have been registered with the federal government prior to 1986. Limited supply + high demand = similar things in our real estate market. Besides the insane cost, it takes 8-12 months for the ATF to give you a tax stamp in order to purchase one. You also need the same tax stamp to purchase a suppressor, but that will probably change soon with the hearing protection act.

This was an ak-47 which you said has one purpose and that's not to hunt. You didn't specify what that purpose was, but I have used an ak-47 at the range several times and they are very fun. That's a purpose right? I'm not a hunter, but I do know an ak47 is actually a solid choice for hunting hog and yes even deer. I would love to shoot feral hogs with one. May I ask have you ever shot or even handled an ak47? It doesn't seem like you are familiar with the platform. They kind of have that bad rep since it's a common rifle used in the middle east by the bad guys. Those are typically full auto though.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Assault rifle is full auto which I haven't seen anyone confirm that yet. Assault rifles are restricted under the NFA and you have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to purchase. Plus you have to have a ton of money. The average nfa full auto gun will cost $30,000+ in order to legally purchase since they had to have been registered with the federal government prior to 1986. Limited supply + high demand = similar things in our real estate market. Besides the insane cost, it takes 8-12 months for the ATF to give you a tax stamp in order to purchase one. You also need the same tax stamp to purchase a suppressor, but that will probably change soon with the hearing protection act.

This was an ak-47 which you said has one purpose and that's not to hunt. You didn't specify what that purpose was, but I have used an ak-47 at the range several times and they are very fun. That's a purpose right? I'm not a hunter, but I do know an ak47 is actually a solid choice for hunting hog and yes even deer. I would love to shoot feral hogs with one. May I ask have you ever shot or even handled an ak47? It doesn't seem like you are familiar with the platform. They kind of have that bad rep since it's a common rifle used in the middle east by the bad guys. Those are typically full auto though.
Here I'll make it easy (copy and pasted wiki)

Quote:
The AK-47, or AK as it is officially known (also known as the Kalashnikov) is a selective-fire (semi-automatic and automatic), gas-operated 7.62×39 mm assault rifle, developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov. It is officially known in the Soviet documentation as Avtomat Kalashnikova (Russian: Автомат Калашникова).

Design work on the AK-47 began in the last year of World War II (1945). In 1946, the AK-47 was presented for official military trials, and in 1948, the fixed-stock version was introduced into active service with selected units of the Soviet Army. An early development of the design was the AKS (S—Skladnoy or "folding"), which was equipped with an underfolding metal shoulder stock. In the spring of 1949, the AK-47 was officially accepted by the Soviet Armed Forces[8] and used by the majority of the member states of the Warsaw Pact.

Even after almost seven decades, the model and its variants remain the most popular and widely used assault rifles in the world because of their substantial reliability under harsh conditions, low production costs compared to contemporary Western weapons, availability in virtually every geographic region and ease of use. The AK-47 has been manufactured in many countries and has seen service with armed forces as well as irregular forces worldwide, and was the basis for developing many other types of individual and crew-served firearms. As of 2004, "Of the estimated 500 million firearms worldwide, approximately 100 million belong to the Kalashnikov family, three-quarters of which are AK-47s".[3]
I highly doubt the soviet military developed the AK47 to shoot targets at a range. No, it's intended primary purpose is to shoot people. You can spin it all you want, I'm a pro-gun person, but it's responses like yours that severely discredit any moral constitution high ground you're trying to stand on.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:21 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,115,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
They're already vetted. This is a full blown case of an American psycho and they come a dollar a dozen with this kind of weapon and ammo, not the Taliban.
To be fair, why can we not assume that the Taliban is stocked with Middle Eastern psychos and stop assuming that all the brown folk are out to kill us?

Because, using that logic, we need to assume that all white guys who are in their 20s and 30s are trying to kill us, too.

This American psycho claimed to be a Muslim. Maybe he's not. Maybe he is. Who knows?

I do know that we've had arrests in this area before of guys whiter than me who were working with terror organizations that were very dangerous, so we cannot just assume that when a guy gets arrested after threatening to kill non-Muslims, he's just some one-off type.

Unless we want to assume that ALL terrorists are unlikely to exist here in the US and we are unlikely to be harmed by terrorists.

But, that does not seem to be what people are willing to believe.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,413,269 times
Quote:
Here I'll make it easy (copy and pasted wiki)

I highly doubt the soviet military developed the AK47 to shoot targets at a range. No, it's intended primary purpose is to shoot people. You can spin it all you want, I'm a pro-gun person, but it's responses like yours that severely discredit any moral constitution high ground you're trying to stand on.
You quoted a "real" ak-47 which is select fire and next to impossible to obtain in the US legally. The gun this guy probably had is an ak variant and is semi auto only. Or he obtained a real one illegally, which is a federal offense and will put him in prison just for possession only. You said the gun has one purpose. I can also show many things from the internet about hunting, target practice, and collecting if you want. Using them in a crime would be last on that list.

Think about this for a second. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of ak variant rifles in the US alone. How many are used in crimes? Next to none. I don't think anyone has the numbers, but any gun crimes I read about are hand guns. Any crime with a rifle is rare, and ak variant rifles probably being a small % of those. Now think about the comment you had made. Sorry you feel so strongly against them, but the facts prove your statement is not correct sorry.

I'm glad you are pro gun, we need people like that. However we need to get on the same page about weapons if you want to have a debate.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,293,972 times
Quote:
I highly doubt the soviet military developed the AK47 to shoot targets at a range.
The Soviets based the design concept on the German Stg-44. The Germans found that most engagements occurred at close ranges due to their "lightening warfare" tactics. The intermediate cartridge offered rifle accuracy but was controllable in FA.

Quote:
If you are truly a pro-gun person, then you know the purpose of the Second Amendment is not hunting or target shooting either - it is empowerment of the public. If you don't know why that is important, then you haven't been paying much attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary