Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 AM

20 posts, read 32,593 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a house that is on the market in Ashley Forest but would like to know how many houses there are owner occupied vs rentals. Not that rentals are a deal breaker but I like to know that kind of thing up front.

Is there a website that might tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
No there is no particular website.
Your agent can check against MLS rental listings over a period of time, and you can check the county tax data for off-site owners, or owners who own more than one property to guess/extrapolate
But the MLS does not carry all rentals, and the tax data may not be updated.
So, a guess is about the best you might do.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:31 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,130,683 times
ZipWho.com - Free ZIP Code Demographics

I'm not sure how accurate this info. is but it gives you an idea!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 AM

57 posts, read 246,577 times
I guess you could use the county tax records and see if the neighbors are using the property as their primary address. Typically rentals will have a different address for the tax bill/owners.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:08 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,583,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp4 View Post
I guess you could use the county tax records and see if the neighbors are using the property as their primary address. Typically rentals will have a different address for the tax bill/owners.
This is what I would do. Look up the neighborhood and see where tax bills are being sent. If they are the same address then you can assume they are owner occupied.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
This is what I would do. Look up the neighborhood and see where tax bills are being sent. If they are the same address then you can assume they are owner occupied.
Actually, you cannot assume with great accuracy.
On line accuracy at Wakegov is not reliable. There are plenty of rentals out there that show the tax bill as going to the property.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:43 PM

1,694 posts, read 2,567,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are plenty of rentals out there that show the tax bill as going to the property.
Another (admittedly crude) cross-check is to compare the real estate owner's name with the voter registration file. If the owner is registered at the same address as the property in question, he/she probably lives there. If registered elsewhere, the property is probably a rental. Emphasis on probably.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,718,061 times
I don't know how old the data is, but you can drill down to a specific neighborhood right here on City-Data. There is a map with a drop-down menu and two of the items are "% Owner-occupied" and "% Renter occupied". But it's a lot of manual hunting.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM

1,694 posts, read 2,567,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't know how old the data is, but you can drill down to a specific neighborhood right here on City-Data. There is a map with a drop-down menu and two of the items are "% Owner-occupied" and "% Renter occupied". But it's a lot of manual hunting.
I followed up on this post by visiting my own subdivision. It contains wrong information about racial makeup and rentals. Our subdivision is smaller than most and I know every homeowner. None of the houses are rentals yet there is a nice bar chart showing the distribution of rents paid.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,583,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I followed up on this post by visiting my own subdivision. It contains wrong information about racial makeup and rentals. Our subdivision is smaller than most and I know every homeowner. None of the houses are rentals yet there is a nice bar chart showing the distribution of rents paid.

My neighborhood isn't listed. But I could click on the map the area my neighborhood is in and see what information they listed. I do not know where City-Data get's their information, but it is completely wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary