Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,527,379 times

Advertisements

Cary: Habitat for Humanity submits compromise Trimble Avenue at Cary Town Council public hearing | News & Observer

and

Cary Town Council: 2/23/17 – CaryCitizen

Fave quote:

At the beginning of the Public Hearing, Cary Mayor Harold Weinbrecht asked speakers to consider only the rezoning and not Habitat itself or affordable housing. This was true for most of the opposition speakers though two near the end talked specifically about affordable housing. One speaker said he works hard to live in his current home and was not “handed an opportunity,” saying people who want to afford housing should work harder. Another said Scottish Hills is already affordable housing because “I can afford to live there” and argued that there are no plans for people such as him to live in affordable housing in more expensive neighborhoods in Cary such as Prestonwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,464,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
[url=http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/cary-news/article134798804.html]

Quote:
One speaker said he works hard to live in his current home and was not “handed an opportunity,” saying people who want to afford housing should work harder. Another said Scottish Hills is already affordable housing because “I can afford to live there” and argued that there are no plans for people such as him to live in affordable housing in more expensive neighborhoods in Cary such as Prestonwood.
I know this is Cary and all, but the two quoted (Not the OP) really need to get over themselves.

As far as Habitat housing. It's cheaply built, low quality housing, but it serves a purpose.

I'd rather have affordable housing be in the form of single family homes than some rundown looking apartment complex.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM

6,647 posts, read 5,540,521 times
I'm surprised entitled snowflake millennials such as myself wasn't included in this

Old 02-24-2017, 06:58 PM

9,126 posts, read 14,675,634 times
I'm not familiar with the exact location but in most single family neighborhoods suddenly dropping in a bunch of condos wouldn't really work and wouldn't be allowed no matter the ownership. Now that they are just doing 9 single family I'm not sure there's much to argue against.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,472,916 times
Quote:
Cary: Habitat for Humanity submits compromise Trimble Avenue at Cary Town Council public hearing | News & Observer

and

Fave quote:

At the beginning of the Public Hearing, Cary Mayor Harold Weinbrecht asked speakers to consider only the rezoning and not Habitat itself or affordable housing. This was true for most of the opposition speakers though two near the end talked specifically about affordable housing. One speaker said he works hard to live in his current home and was not “handed an opportunity,” saying people who want to afford housing should work harder. Another said Scottish Hills is already affordable housing because “I can afford to live there” and argued that there are no plans for people such as him to live in affordable housing in more expensive neighborhoods in Cary such as Prestonwood.
This is just what the overpaid hipsters in NYC say about seniors who have lived in rent controlled apts for many years and cannot support market rates on their pension income.

One reason why many folks look down on Cary as a community of elitists.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:01 AM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
This is just what the overpaid hipsters in NYC say about seniors who have lived in rent controlled apts for many years and cannot support market rates on their pension income.

One reason why many folks look down on Cary as a community of elitists.
Simple minds cavalierly dismiss 160,000 people because a few individuals don't fit their limited personal mold for everyone.

The "community" actually created this opportunity.
Habitat will build there.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM

6,318 posts, read 5,410,390 times
Quote:

and

Fave quote:

Wait.....are we sure the author of this article isn't a writer for SNL?!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 3,565,760 times
I wouldn't want it in my neighborhood either. Every point made is the quote while, not popular here, are logical. We had two growing up near my home and the Habitat house was not landscaped or maintained past the hand over from the charity. Based on my personal experience of course.

I will admit that perhaps it could go to a good owner, but I wouldn't want to take that chance if it was the house next to mine.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 PM

4,296 posts, read 5,946,122 times
There's a Habitat development directly behind my house. Neighbors have been no worse than the non-Habitat folks on my street.

Minor issues here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. At the very least, the bullet accidentally fired into my home didn't come from a Habitat house.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,374,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'm not familiar with the exact location but in most single family neighborhoods suddenly dropping in a bunch of condos wouldn't really work and wouldn't be allowed no matter the ownership. Now that they are just doing 9 single family I'm not sure there's much to argue against.
There's a nice map indicating the location and parcel in the 2nd link in the OP. I was a little confused about the location too and that helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary