Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I get that affordable housing is a problem, but that doesn't mean you get to live wherever you want. There are plenty of affordable places in other parts of the Triangle.
Found one of the Cary NIMBYs ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 AM

678 posts, read 734,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I get that affordable housing is a problem, but that doesn't mean you get to live wherever you want. There are plenty of affordable places in other parts of the Triangle.
One of the more out of touch quotes that I've seen on here. Granted, I've said some myself

Old 06-05-2018, 11:39 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
For the realtors out here, what are things that do hurt property value? Anytime anything changes in a neighborhood, people always use the term "oh it's going to hurt my property value" as an excuse to combat it. What reasons are valid and what maybe aren't so much?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:44 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
For the realtors out here, what are things that do hurt property value? Anytime anything changes in a neighborhood, people always use the term "oh it's going to hurt my property value" as an excuse to combat it. What reasons are valid and what maybe aren't so much?
That is an interesting question. If you live on a street with some homes that are valued at much lower than your own, for homes with similar square footage, number of beds/baths, etc... does it not have an effect?

I'm just curious. My own neighborhood is fairly homogeneous and it's not an issue, but I really do not know how this affects mixed areas.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:43 PM

678 posts, read 734,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That is an interesting question. If you live on a street with some homes that are valued at much lower than your own, for homes with similar square footage, number of beds/baths, etc... does it not have an effect?

I'm just curious. My own neighborhood is fairly homogeneous and it's not an issue, but I really do not know how this affects mixed areas.
Think about those, insanely valued regular homes and neighborhoods in the Silicon Valley area in California. You have homes that are basically tear downs and shacks going for almost a million dollars. So, if there's enough demand for the land the homes are sitting on, then individual houses can't really bring down the value of other houses in that neighborhood.

Cary is a hot enough market now, and for the conceivable future, that you could build all kinds of affordable housing, and heck, throw in some mobile homes around, and it will not significantly affect home values in the area.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:47 PM

805 posts, read 521,552 times
Flooding will affect home value. I’m in favor of this Habitat build, but the neighborhood flooding is a real consideration. Care needs to be taken to offset the additional paved area.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:23 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
and best I can tell, that's the problem. TOC had not managed the stormwater upstream properly, causing real issue downstream. SOME of the anti-Habitat crowd were more "fix the runoff" than "I don't want poor people living here."

Now, some may have fancy French names and an elitist attitude. I don't know - I wasn't there at the meetings.

If Goodnight got behind the cause, paid $20MM for 10 acres in the heart of Cary, and they put up 60 Habitat homes, the poor folks that qualified for Habitat homes could indeed live there.

Heck, if he had gone and bought the Mason Temple at Glenwood and Wade and put 12 houses for Habitat there, the Habitat folks could live there.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,884,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Found one of the Cary NIMBYs ^
Lolololol

Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 PM

346 posts, read 338,144 times
Cary NIMBYs be like "Do that over in Durham or Garner" .... should be a new series of memes.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:47 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
I am a Habitat fan and appreciate their mission, but...…….
Habitat messed up. Their poor approach may well have cost several families an affordable home.
They over-reached significantly with their initial plan, attempting to put 23 units on 2.58 acres (112,312SF) in an R-8 (8,000SF lots) to R-12(12,000SF lots)-zoned area.
23 units was just too dense for that neighborhood, and the backlash likely cost them a better final compromise than the final agreement of 7 homes.

It is always entertaining for some to slam Cary and herein the Scottish Hills residents (although some were quoted last year saying some truly stupid things), but did anyone here actually read the disclaimers in the N&O article discussing Stacy's study?

"The study of Wake County focused solely on the 27160 ZIP code in Southeast Raleigh, the area with the highest concentration of Habitat homes in Wake County, which made it easier to study.
But because the study focused on one part of the county, the limited number of data points available for analysis might be viewed as insufficient to reach any conclusion, the study freely admits.
Due to the limited scope of the data, both Anfindsen and the realtors association refer to the study as a starting point for conversation about the impact of affordable housing, and one that might require further analysis when there are more homes to compare.
"

So, what is the point? And what is a reasonable conclusion on valuation? "Starting Point?" Does that equate to "Zestimate" in legitimacy?
Spoiler
Old joke:
One night a Man comes across a kid on a street corner walking around, staring at the ground.
Man: "What's up?"
Kid: "I dropped a dollar and I am looking for it."
Man decides to help, and starts looking too.
After a few minutes, Man says, "I don't see it. Are you sure you dropped it here?"
Kid: "Oh, I dropped it in front of that house over there in the middle of the block."
Man: "Well, why are you looking here on the corner?!"
Kid: "It's too dark down there. There's no street light."

I believe some property owners would have taken a hit on property values if 23 units were crammed in adjacent to their larger lot properties.
FWIW, Buyers tend to look at what they drive by on entering a neighborhood, or what is adjacent to their homes. If there is a great disparity in appearance, density, value and style, many will look elsewhere. While we are currently in a sellers' market, in the long term, it is nearly impossible to reduce the buyer pool and maintain values.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-06-2018 at 04:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary