Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,920,798 times

Advertisements

agree with Mike. Habitat has a habit of overreaching.

my experience: i've painted two HFH houses. one exterior and one interior.
my location: i'm within 1/2 mile of several HFH houses built 16 years ago.
my information: the actual residents are responsible. their visitors are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,473,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I think Cary is loaded with NIMBY's, just like ANYWHERE else.

Too many people: "I've got mine, I'm not worried about yours". Not at all unique to Cary. I posted earlier in this discussion, I think all the people who live in this part of town (my part) are all from somewhere else, and therefore hypocritical when saying growth is bad.

Same for you Cap. You came from NY, and now you're against growth. Doesn't make you a bigot, just a hypocrite.
No, I came here 28 years ago from New Orleans after making stops from coast to coast. Much of our time in NYC was in a middle income housing project.

We always lived in diverse areas and enjoyed it.

The Cary policy of Stepford wives shuns any different people, even if their difference is as little as wanting to customize the color of their mailboxes.

Their diety is property values.

Guess you could call them "equal opportunity bigots".

Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM

4,296 posts, read 5,948,294 times
Never mind that "Cary policy" supports affordable housing and diversity. My neighborhood is about as diverse as they come and I've got 17 Habitat homes directly behind my house. The town kicked in $300,000 for the project.

Sometimes a proposal just isn't a good fit for whatever reason...there are real concerns with the proposed site about flooding and incompatibility. I'm disappointed they voted not to recommend approval, but I understand the objections.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

The Cary policy of Stepford wives shuns any different people, even if their difference is as little as wanting to customize the color of their mailboxes.

No, that's an HOA issue. Posting an opinion as fact does not make it a fact, unfortunately your vaunted NYS education has failed you again. Sorry you've been living in affordable housing most of your life, but that's been your choice, hasn't it?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,205,824 times
Quote:
No, I came here 28 years ago from New Orleans after making stops from coast to coast. Much of our time in NYC was in a middle income housing project.

We always lived in diverse areas and enjoyed it.

Their diety is property values.

Guess you could call them "equal opportunity bigots".
You keep throwing the diversity card, but to you, diversity is strictly economical. Cary is a pretty diverse place if you ask me. The are parts that are not so ECONOMICALLY diverse, but you'll get that anywhere.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,473,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Never mind that "Cary policy" supports affordable housing and diversity. My neighborhood is about as diverse as they come and I've got 17 Habitat homes directly behind my house. The town kicked in $300,000 for the project.

Sometimes a proposal just isn't a good fit for whatever reason...there are real concerns with the proposed site about flooding and incompatibility. I'm disappointed they voted not to recommend approval, but I understand the objections.
Betcha if an infill of McMansions wanted to come, they'd get a variance.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,086,369 times
Quote:
Maybe if they spent a large sum of money addressing runoff and traffic concerns, but there again, those things need addressing and if Habitat cannot address them, then they'll not get approval for their projects.

This applies to ANYONE who wants to build in a given area.

I think your comments about Cary are really inappropriate. This town is diverse, from a variety of standpoints.

We have housing at just about any price point you might expect to find in the Triangle, we have good schools, and we have some older neighborhoods without HOAs (because they were not required at the time) for folks that do not want HOAs.

My neighborhood is small, and you would definitely raise your nose at it, for we'd all be those evil "yuppies" you like to complain about, but in it are people from all over the world and from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. Yes, we are all of similar socioeconomic backgrounds, but what else will you get in a fairly new development that is REQUIRED TO HAVE AN HOA and is made up of custom homes that are all well over 3000 sq ft, with a good many over 4000 sq ft?

Not that many people on public assistance can afford houses that cost over 600k. So, it's logical that we'd be homogeneous in terms of income/wealth, but we are diverse here in other ways.

Same as pretty much any small, planned neighborhood with single family homes.

Why are you upset over this? Had you planned to move to Cary?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

My neighborhood is small, and you would definitely raise your nose at it, for we'd all be those evil "yuppies" you like to complain about, but in it are people from all over the world and from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. Yes, we are all of similar socioeconomic backgrounds, but what else will you get in a fairly new development that is REQUIRED TO HAVE AN HOA and is made up of custom homes that are all well over 3000 sq ft, with a good many over 4000 sq ft?

?
Sounds like the devil's playground to me.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

11,193 posts, read 8,229,543 times
Quote:
Wrong again. You should have seen the vitriol anti-growth Nimby-ism when they wanted to develop (infill) the small farm near Lake Pine and the Costco. Shot down faster and harder than the Habitat project. I felt awful for the poor lady who owns what is left of the farm. They'd been there since before any development, and now she could not afford to pay the taxes to stay. Could have sold out and at least lived the rest of her life comfortably, but it got shot down by people who got here over the last 40+ years and then wanted to shut everyone out.

And for your other response:

I live in Cary, I have no HOA, I paint my mailbox and house WHATEVER color I want. My neighbors come in all shapes, sizes and colors, the average house in my neighborhood is under $200k, and I can almost guarantee you that my mortgage (I bought in 2013) is a good bet less than your Raleigh Rent.

You bring an important (if not overly repeated) perspective to the discussion, but you discredit whatever good points you have by making careless and inacurate statements like you have consistently done.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM

3,292 posts, read 8,526,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sounds like the devil's playground to me.
HAHA
Attached Thumbnails
Cary NIMBYs & Habitat for Humanity Plans-young-jack-nicholson-cant-stop-laughing  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary