Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Hmm just did a quick search of how much illegals cost us and many sources claimed over $100 billion a year. Pushes wage rates down and corrupts the sense of law and order by seemingly condoning illegal activity.
Time for a large number of people to make their way home.
Honestly, after looking over your quick info I am done conversing with you. Easy to see what kind of person you are.

Trump2016

254 posts, read 83,379 times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:06 PM

299 posts, read 249,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Honestly, after looking over your quick info I am done conversing with you. Easy to see what kind of person you are.

Trump2016

254 posts, read 83,379 times

Winning.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Do your own research. Study the economic studies that have been done showing how the undocumented affect our economy. You might be surprised, just like I was. Google is your friend.
I have done my research, but I don't tell others that have differing opinions that they are uninformed.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
how about we start with the 940K?

or, what number between 0 and 11 MM would you propose, and why?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I personally think that if the active criminals are removed (which is what is supposedly represented by this 940k number, but I haven't verified/researched the exact estimated number myself), then most people won't have an appetite for removing other people living here illegally but otherwise peacefully. In fact, I'm hopeful that people could eventually accept a path toward citizenship for those brought here as children who consider this their country and who are making a constructive life here as long as people feel criminals are being dealt with. I certainly embrace that idea, myself, but don't think I could get others on board with that unless we all concede that the few bad apples can be dealt with according to existing law.

Painting all immigrants with one broad brush, like the OP's article does as a huge set of victims, isn't constructive for anyone, especially immigrants themselves.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I think that first you need to define what type of criminal we are talking about. Someone who has a felony or are we adding in misdemeanors too? We have many immigrants who are serving sentences - do they serve out their sentence or deport them straight away?
I am all for deporting people that commit felonies. How many people that may be, who knows. I would rather not keep criminals to serve out their sentences either. The cost is too great with no benefit. As for those who have committed misdemeanors, I would say that would need to be on a case by case scenario.
So, as for a number, I could not give one without good solid facts.
As you could probably guess, I am not in favor of deporting those who are working hard to make a life for themselves and families.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We have DUI checkpoints with questionable legality in order to catch our own legal citizens doing something wrong. If that's ok, then this is definitely ok.
Questionable legality?? There is no question about it. License or DUI check points are a violation of every citizen's constitutional rights.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
I think that first you need to define what type of criminal we are talking about. Someone who has a felony or are we adding in misdemeanors too? We have many immigrants who are serving sentences - do they serve out their sentence or deport them straight away?
I am all for deporting people that commit felonies. How many people that may be, who knows. I would rather not keep criminals to serve out their sentences either. The cost is too great with no benefit. As for those who have committed misdemeanors, I would say that would need to be on a case by case scenario.
So, as for a number, I could not give one without good solid facts.
As you could probably guess, I am not in favor of deporting those who are working hard to make a life for themselves and families.
do you define "commit" a felony as having been arrested and charged?

would a DUI be a misdemeanor that would trigger deportation? Getting caught multiple times for traffic offenses?

would lack of auto insurance, when they were responsible for an accident? Right now, about 13% of NC drivers don't have the required insurance coverage.

I also think, one way or the other, we have to bring the "lawful" folk out of the shadows - and that means some monitored path to citizenship.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
None directly, but I can assure you that both you and I benefit from their work.
And we both feel the tax payer pain. If they were such a "boon" to the economy why aren't states fighting over them and why are not Countries trying to retain them? That's simple. They are worth more to their home Countries sending back remittances. They are no longer a burden.

Just think if half the ghettos in St Louis, Chicago and Detroit picked up and moved to Canada illegally and sent money back. Great for us right? Not a great deal for Canada tax payers is it.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We have US citizens who won't do these jobs because we provide incentives that make it more worthwhile to not work, than work a minimum wage job. Lets kill two birds with one stone.
The lowlife employers that exploit illegals need to pay a living wage and benefits. If not, they should disappear.

The illegals throw an enormous burden on all taxpayers since many of them tend to have large families needing not only seats in schools but also added assistance in learning our language.

A lot of the work they do is unnecessary. We have too many restaurants, etc that could vanish with no harm to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary