Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 PM

299 posts, read 249,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The "strike" is being held as part of International Women's Day - it is not a date chosen by the teachers. It is a world-wide day of protest.
Yes that is strangely not scheduled for a weekend. Let's see. 'Sorry but being a professional I can't attend because it is on a week day'. Or 'because I only work part time I feel a responsibility to be at work during the week'.
Amazing.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
The strike is held on a weekday to maximize the impact of women's absence. If it was held on a weekend and had no inconvenience to you would we even be discussing it?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I wonder what this person's opinion was of the rhetoric by the speakers of the Women Day march in DC ?
The ones that talked about "f*** Trump" and "bombing the White House"
Interesting that this person thinks she knows the heart of people she doesn't even know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't doubt that there may have been a few people who said those things, or similar things, during the Women's March just because there were so many people there, but by and large it was very peaceful from all accounts I have read and that was NOT the tenor of the march as a whole. There were no arrests at the Women's March. You may be confusing the peaceful Women's March with the protests the day of the inauguration when there were arrests, including arrests of journalists just there to cover what was going on.
Did you listen to Ashely Judd's speech at the DC Women's Day ??
Based on the crowds cheers, her vulgarity and hate speech
were very popular.
Even if I felt that women rights were under attack (which I don't)
I would not have anything to do with that type of a hate filled movement.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM

299 posts, read 249,597 times
Quote:
were very popular.
I remember. Fitting that the most intolerant area's school system is closing that day. Chapel Hill-Carrboro.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
were very popular.
Same here! I only saw part of her speech and it made me sick as I don't want to be represented that way. As a teen in the UK, one of my heroes was MLK. He was classy, intelligent, and IMO, America's Gandhi - or maybe Gandhi was India's (ML) King? He showed us how to respectfully do civil disobedience. I think the violent speech, intolerance of those who don't agree with them is a horrible example for our youth.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM

555 posts, read 501,039 times
I grew up in an area where unions were strong and their history well understood/appreciated. Strikes happened for clear and valid reasons decades ago, most often when the industrial revolution allowed companies to take advantage of immigrants and the rising lower classes before the government could catch up with laws that protected them on some basic level.

That being said, even in union-heavy areas, the prospect of a strike isn't taken lightly (at least by old-timers). They seem to recognize that constant threatening and blustering takes away the gravity of the message and just makes everyone take it less seriously. It weakens the effect greatly, if a strike is held over every grievance. And, speaking from experience, those who want to organize a strike for more minimal reasons (even in the union-heavy areas) often come across as less savvy and less intelligent. If you try to exercise what used to be the nuclear option for everything, it becomes meaningless, childish, and it's abundantly clear that you don't know how not to overplay your hand.

So yes, those with the privilege to do so (Chapel Hill teachers) might go and feel they are championing a cause. Fine. But don't expect to get a lot of respect for it, because many people just don't view this as all that bright, even if we're not the biggest fans of the current administration. Meanwhile, teachers out in Brunswick County or Vance County or wherever will likely get a backlash for calling out en masse without arranging for a sub, if they fall for the ineffective, short-sighted vision promoted through Chapel Hill-Carrboro's action here (not saying they will, though). Way to be, Chapel Hill. Keep being your uniquely insensitive, privileged, tone-deaf-to-the-rest-of-the-state self. Some things will never change.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
I though you said this day was not about politics

I don't think Women's Rights are under attack, except unborn women.
And I doubt my sign "I support unborn women's rights" would be appreciated.
It's not... but you implied earlier that it was, so I was going with your line of thought.

And, you can carry whatever signs you want. Free country. Aren't they great?

Old 03-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Has anyone said WHY there will be a Day without Women? What has happened legislatively to bring this about? What are they fighting? Or is this merely a pre-emptive protest of something that may possibly happen in the future?

And are all the non-working people taking vacation time, or sick time? That certainly would make a difference in my perception of the effort.

Anybody that wants to take vacation and gather outside for whatever legal reason they choose - awesome. If CHCSS has looked out at the schedule and seen that some huge percentage of staff is taking vacation that day, then thank you to them for getting ahead of the problem.

I will say that for my ~13 years involvement in WCPSS, there are times teachers CAN'T take off because there's enough folks already signed up.
Women still don't have equal rights, you know?

Old 03-05-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Why is this not on a Saturday? Students do not appear to be the no. 1 priority. Another day off for the part timers (teachers).
Pretty hard to have an impactful message regarding what a "day without women" in the workforce looks like on a day when most career women have the day off anyway.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Will their be a "man oriented" holiday as well? If not, how will all the little boys being taught at these schools feel once they realize their "education" is being delivered via biased feminist agenda. This method of "education" is sure to produce a higher ratio of misogynistic wife beaters and serial killers.
Wanna try that again? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary