Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,212,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
For clarification; the school district isn't exactly "closing for women's strike"....that's just a bold attention-gettiing title for WRAL to use..... they are closing in anticipation of not having staff to properly run the school day. Their faculty and staff all have sick and vacation days that they can use. If a majority or sizable amount say they are going to use them all at once (nothing that says they cannot) what is the district supposed to do? Their hands are sort of tied.

You can't just say "fire them all"...for several reasons.

1. Whether one agrees with the reasons behind their taking off or not; teachers and staff at a school are employees with sick time and vacation time just like most full-time employees of most employers...private or public. They are within their rights and employment parameters to take them when they want

2. There's a pretty significant shortage of teachers in the area and replacing them all at once would pretty much be impossible. Much more detrimental to the students in the district than having a day off of school (FWIW...CHCCS has a 184 day school year, 4 days above the 180 minimum set by the state of NC that most districts stick to)
I'm not blaming the school district, but I think it's a pretty immature and childish move by the teachers. The district sent out a poll and determined that enough of the teachers would not be there, that they had to close.

And technically, taking a sick day to go to a demonstration is not within their rights. Also I have never worked for a company where an entire team could take vacation at the same time - vacation needs to be approved. Apparently that's not the case at a public school. But you're right, what could the district do about it? Not much, but maybe at least a warning would be in order.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,547,819 times
Quote:
For clarification; the school district isn't exactly "closing for women's strike"....that's just a bold attention-gettiing title for WRAL to use..... they are closing in anticipation of not having staff to properly run the school day. Their faculty and staff all have sick and vacation days that they can use. If a majority or sizable amount say they are going to use one of their sick/vacation days on the same day ( their is nothing that says they cannot) what is the district supposed to do? Their hands are sort of tied.
This. I hate news headlines that create more controversy than a story really is.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,337,465 times
Quote:
For clarification; the school district isn't exactly "closing for women's strike"....that's just a bold attention-gettiing title for WRAL to use..... they are closing in anticipation of not having staff to properly run the school day. Their faculty and staff all have sick and vacation days that they can use. If a majority or sizable amount say they are going to use one of their sick/vacation days on the same day ( their is nothing that says they cannot) what is the district supposed to do? Their hands are sort of tied.

You can't just say "fire them all"...for several reasons.

1. Whether one agrees with the reasons behind their taking off or not; teachers and staff at a school are employees with sick time and vacation time just like most full-time employees of most employers...private or public. They are within their rights and employment parameters to take them when they want

If unions organize like this for a sickout day, at least mine under the Railway Labor Act, the union gets fined (millions) and the leaders typically face jail time. The last time my union did something like this it almost bankrupted them after the company was finished suing.

But, it's cool because they are women and teachers.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:55 PM

And how about the thousands of parents who now need to take an unplanned day off work or find alternate care?

This reaches far beyond just a few teachers. Embarassing.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,963,418 times
Completely disagree with teachers putting the school in that position and disagree with the school for
catering to them.
Protest on your own time.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:15 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Things are seriously getting out of hand. I can't even explain how much I disagree with this.

Classes canceled at Chapel Hill-Carrboro to coincide with 'women's strike' :: WRAL.com
Please explain what's "out of hand" about a strike on International Women's Day?

I dunno... I fail to see the issue.

People strike for all sorts of reasons.

I think we have to, as citizens of the USA, face the reality that our new federal government is highly disliked by a majority of the voting population, as was evidenced by the 10 million more people who voted for someone OTHER than our current POTUS.

Just speaking raw numbers, I know he won by our voting rules, but that doesn't change who INDIVIDUALS voted for.

The end result is a great deal of activism, strikes, marches, and the like.

People can love them or hate them, but we still have the right in the USA to protest.

Chapel Hill is quite liberal and progressive, so I am sure the majority of people with kids in school there are not going to be as bothered as if this was happening in JoCo or something.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Please explain what's "out of hand" about a strike on International Women's Day?

Teacher strikes are illegal in NC for starters

Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I dunno... I fail to see the issue.

People strike for all sorts of reasons.

I think we have to, as citizens of the USA, face the reality that our new federal government is highly disliked by a majority of the voting population, as was evidenced by the 10 million more people who voted for someone OTHER than our current POTUS.

Just speaking raw numbers, I know he won by our voting rules, but that doesn't change who INDIVIDUALS voted for.

The end result is a great deal of activism, strikes, marches, and the like.

People can love them or hate them, but we still have the right in the USA to protest.

Chapel Hill is quite liberal and progressive, so I am sure the majority of people with kids in school there are not going to be as bothered as if this was happening in JoCo or something.

What's out of hand is the political correctness displayed by the school system which allows the demonstrating teachers to have a complete disregard for their contract of employment. This has absolutey nothing to do with their right to protest. It sets a precedent that there are no consequences for doing such a thing, and it's not fair to the tax paying citizens.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What's out of hand is the political correctness displayed by the school system which allows the demonstrating teachers to have a complete disregard for their contract of employment. This has absolutey nothing to do with their right to protest. It sets a precedent that there are no consequences for doing such a thing, and it's not fair to the tax paying citizens.
In addition it shows favoritism to certain political positions.
State sponsored strike, dangerous precedent ..

Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 PM

363 posts, read 436,629 times
l know they're still doing athletics after school, what about driver's ed? I plan to call the school.
I have to work. My family needs my paycheck. I am just short of full-time. My employer would probably write me up for calling off to attend a protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary