U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 26,375 times

Advertisements

A new job is going to be relocating us in the Roxboro area from Ohio. We have 2 children (10 and 12). We want to live in the country, maybe with a little land, in a good school district that is mostly rural. Looking maybe for a 30-40 minute drive from the Roxboro area in any direction. What would you suggest for country bumpkins like us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,128,171 times
Person County, where Roxboro is located, is quite rural and should provide the country setting you're looking for. I have no knowledge of the school system there, however. Just south of Roxboro is Bahama in northern Durham County. This area is zoned for great schools located in the more rural northern part of the county and yet has a similarly rural feel to Person County. Another plus is that it does put you pretty close to Durham if and when you get the itch to head into town for shopping/dining/arts/etc...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Thanks for quick reply

I heard that Person Co. was pretty nice, but just wasn't too sure of the demographics of Roxboro? Can't seem to find anything about the school districts there. I know the farther south you go seems to be where EVERYONE is relocating...the triangle....I don't want to be in an area where it is over populated and crowded. We aren't city folks...we like quiet country living. I will do more research on PERSON COUNTY. Thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,128,171 times
Northern Durham County is anything but overcrowded. You'll hear references to northern Durham and some growth there, but if you look at Google Maps for ZIP 27712, you'll see Inifinity Road running E/W across the county. Most things north of there are rather rural and much different than the rest of the Triangle. Bahama has lots of nice acreage and horse properties. There are also a couple of other places up that way called Rougemont and Timberlake that might be worth checking out.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM

71 posts, read 195,822 times
I attended Person County Schools for grades 6-12. It is decent for a rural district and a good education can be had as long as the student is willing to make the effort. Northern Durham county is nice but Northern High School, where you would be assigned if you lived in Bahama or Roughmont, does have some gang problems. You might want to consider the rural areas near Hillsborough in Orange county to the southwest. Hillborough has a nice historical district and a more sophisticated vibe than Roxboro. It is closer to Durham and Chapel Hill and the schools have a good reputation. Caswell County to the west and Granville County to east are both rural counties. I don’t think either offers anything in education or amenities that you could not find in Person County.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for your suggestions...we will just have to check them out when we come down this weekend. Any hotel recommendations? I haven't seen any with indoor pools? That is strange. EVERY hotel up here has indoor pools.
Another thing is we want to rent when we first move just to get a better feel of everything and to find our way around more to see what areas we like best. Any rental companies anyone knows of would help.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM

266 posts, read 959,347 times
Default You are talking about...

one of the most beautiful areas in the Triangle. I was in the Rougemont area showing property tonight and it always puts me in a good mood. Northern Durham and southern Person counties are know as "horse country" and are just lovely. My friends get sick of hearing me talk about it. Roxboro is a nice town, but you will not want to live there, given what you have described about yourself.
I will have to be brutal here...the rural areas are not the best for schools...true anywhere in the area. If top schools are a priority you will need to consider less rural areas or private schools. You do not say the age of your kids, but there are some great options in Durham and Orange County, as Badger77 has stated.
There are fewer indoor pools in the south, but Google yielded some. Just enter "indoor pool hotel Durham".
PM or email me if you need any help.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 PM

604 posts, read 1,073,864 times
It takes about 30-40 minutes to drive from Hillsborough to Roxboro. Orange County for sure. You'll be a fan for life.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 AM

408 posts, read 1,326,147 times
I agree that the countryside outside of Roxboro is really lovely.
I lived in Rougemont for years and loved the drive up 501 N towards Virginia.

Schools may be your determining factor. You might look at Northern Orange County (Carr, Cedar Grove, Schley areas), which would be Orange County Schools. You might also want to look into the Oxford area (Granville County).

If rural schools are okay by you, you have many lovely areas north of Roxboro, towards the Virginia line to explore. You could also look around the Hyco Lake area (waterfront is expensive, but other areas not so much), which is west of Roxboro.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:17 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,163,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger77 View Post
I attended Person County Schools for grades 6-12. It is decent for a rural district and a good education can be had as long as the student is willing to make the effort. Northern Durham county is nice but Northern High School, where you would be assigned if you lived in Bahama or Roughmont, does have some gang problems. You might want to consider the rural areas near Hillsborough in Orange county to the southwest. Hillborough has a nice historical district and a more sophisticated vibe than Roxboro. It is closer to Durham and Chapel Hill and the schools have a good reputation. Caswell County to the west and Granville County to east are both rural counties. I donít think either offers anything in education or amenities that you could not find in Person County.
There are gang members in just about all the schools. They're kinda like rattlesnakes though. For the most part, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary