Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 PM

51 posts, read 75,791 times

Advertisements

"I appeal to all the parents in India not to send their children’ to the U.S., distraught father says after shooting"

"Madasani’s father, Jaganmohan Reddy, told the Hindustan Times that in recent months, he had begun to ask his son to return home, fearing that he might not be safe in the country’s racially charged atmosphere, with ugly incidents and hate groups on the rise."

"An estimated 300,000 Indians are working in the United States on H-1B high-skilled worker visas, most in the business outsourcing and software industries. The Trump administration is reportedly considering limiting or changing the program, raising fears among many H-1B workers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3670daa92133

Sorry for the messy link but read the quotes I cited and entire article.

So far, the H1-B theory is the strongest one posted to this thread. I invite other ideas, if only someone can muster a reasonable alternative.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
Trump has blown every anti-brown dog whistle he can find to pick up in order to gain political support. Closeted racists have picked up on them. They are emboldened to speak and act openly in racist ways because of it.

I know you weren't really having trouble understanding what everyone was saying, but there you go.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Trump has blown every anti-brown dog whistle he can find to pick up in order to gain political support. Closeted racists have picked up on them. They are emboldened to speak and act openly in racist ways because of it. I know you weren't really having trouble understanding what everyone was saying, but there you go.
So your theory is that Trump's presence in office has awakened closeted racists? If that's the case, why the direct impact exclusively to Indians? Trump has come down MUCH harder on the Chinese, yet I have not yet heard a single person from China express concern in the way they are being treated in this country in the last few months. In fact, I'd say that black and white racial tensions (BLM movement and all that) were higher in the months leading up to Trump's victory than afterward.

So I'd say there are some serious holes in that particular theory that warrant explanation. I know how easy it is to say "Trump brought racists out of the closet", but I'm not looking for the path of least intellectual resistance here, I'm looking for something that makes sense.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:16 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post
So your theory is that Trump's presence in office has awakened closeted racists? If that's the case, why the direct impact exclusively to Indians? Trump has come down MUCH harder on the Chinese, yet I have not yet heard a single person from China express concern in the way they are being treated in this country in the last few months. In fact, I'd say that black and white racial tensions (BLM movement and all that) were higher in the months leading up to Trump's victory than afterward.

So I'd say there are some serious holes in that particular theory that warrant explanation. I know how easy it is to say "Trump brought racists out of the closet", but I'm not looking for the path of least intellectual resistance here, I'm looking for something that makes sense.
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." You are misstating and deflecting way too much inconvenient input from people who are talking sense.

There has been, among too many people, a very hard-assed attitude toward Indians around Cary/Morrisville/Apex for many years.
The Insanity of Trump has just emboldened some people to say stuff out loud that many have mumbled for a long time.

Years ago, I heard Morrisville referred to as "Little India."
Onsite agents smugly told me about referring to Indians as "Canadians." Code talk.
On and on.
Denial is futile.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
The hate has been more widespread than the Indian community. There have been multiple threats against Jewish Comminity Centers and other attacks against immigrants. That is not to diminish the recent violent attacks against Indian-Americans in Kansas and Washington state. Just pointing out there have been hate filled incidents since Trump has been elected.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post

The Trump theory is correct. Because Trump associates BROWN skin color with terrorism, bombs and anti-America. That's why Chinese, Far east Asians and blacks could be in the "back-burner." Even though Trump even made a commercial supporting Indians and Hindus, and had a rally in central NJ. He even spoke in Hindi at that rally! But that doesn't matter -the lowly educated American will determine that BROWN is all the same. Trump did bring racists and the lower case kkk out of the closet -it looks pretty simple.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Trump has blown every anti-brown dog whistle he can find to pick up in order to gain political support. Closeted racists have picked up on them. They are emboldened to speak and act openly in racist ways because of it.

I know you weren't really having trouble understanding what everyone was saying, but there you go.
I may not have said it the same but this is it! People feel like they have been given a green light to say things that they never would have before.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." You are misstating and deflecting way too much inconvenient input from people who are talking sense.

There has been, among too many people, a very hard-assed attitude toward Indians around Cary/Morrisville/Apex for many years.
The Insanity of Trump has just emboldened some people to say stuff out loud that many have mumbled for a long time.

Onsite agents smugly told me about referring to Indians as "Canadians." Code talk.
On and on.
Denial is futile.
The article I posted demonstrated that you're wrong. The fact that the Indian community themselves have identified tension around the H1-B issue, and the fact that you still disagree just shows that some students are never ready. Everything is being blamed on Trump by those who want to see it that way, including HB2 (even though it started before he was in office). It's been like this with every president, nothing new there.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

On and on.
Denial is futile.
1. sad
2. this shouldn't get blamed on racist southnerers. Even though its about racism in the south
3. I have many indian work peers. They are some of the NICEST people. By comparison americans are angry argumentative and loud

I don't see the need to act like indians in your community isn't a thing either. Indians especially h1b are SUPER insular and keep MANY ties to their homeland and you know the proliferation of indian restaurants shops and markets if you don't like that or it isn't the type of community you pictured yourself in that's a legitimate position. Of course it doesn't make it to be racist but it doesn't make it correct either to act like the indian community next door are all apple pie americans who just happen to be brown.

Anyway all i'm saying is there is just about a critical mass and a high density of indian in that area where it really is a noticible color to living there. I'm sure someone's gonna yell at me but trust me there is zero anger in my comment it's just if you mistakingly found yourself living in Chinatown wouldn't you have a feeling about it?

Old 03-06-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
The hate has been more widespread than the Indian community. There have been multiple threats against Jewish Comminity Centers and other attacks against immigrants. That is not to diminish the recent violent attacks against Indian-Americans in Kansas and Washington state. Just pointing out there have been hate filled incidents since Trump has been elected.
There have been hate filled incidents since the beginning of time. I haven't heard anyone from the Jewish community say there was an up-tick in the last couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary