Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,308 times

Advertisements

Can't wait till AT&T is available in the hood. They have been offering 300 for 50 bucks a month in areas competing with google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:08 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Wow! They told me that the 300 level mbps would be $40 more per month and that someone would need to come out to the house (I asume to do more wiring or something). I have heard of people paying $45 for 100 from Spectrum. I guess I'm not good at negotiating.
Hmmm, I just got suckered by Spectrum. I was paying $67 for internet only with Uverse. I got an ad in the mail from Spectrum so I called. I now have internet only for $44 which is supposed to be 100mbps. HOWEVER, Uverse provided a modem/router. Spectrum just provides a modem, so I had to go buy a $30 router. It doesn't send the signal to a majority of my tiny house (100sf) So I can exchange the router if I want.

I called to see why the best I could get on my laptop was 45mbps. The rep said it was because I wasn't plugged in to the modem. Never occurred to me in a million years. I don't even have a desktop computer, we are totally portable.

I honestly didn't care that much about 100mbps. But this crappy little modem is not impressive. Overall my service is worse.

And when I called Uverse to cancel, they offered me 40mbps for $35. I should have called them before I agreed to switch!

moral of this story...call the competitor, get a quote, then call your provider and see if they can top it. I can't believe I screwed that up.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,954 times
Had AT&T fiber installed today - called Spectrum to disconnect. They offered all sorts of deals, and didn't really have a response when I asked them where those deals were when I called a few weeks ago. Hope AT&T works out for me (they couldn't install satellite w. directtv because the direction for the signal is blocked by trees - I opted not to go with Uverse).

Old 04-28-2017, 02:36 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Had AT&T fiber installed today - called Spectrum to disconnect. They offered all sorts of deals, and didn't really have a response when I asked them where those deals were when I called a few weeks ago. Hope AT&T works out for me (they couldn't install satellite w. directtv because the direction for the signal is blocked by trees - I opted not to go with Uverse).
I had the same experience. ATT/Direct TV had some problems getting their act together with the initial installation so I returned my modem then a few weeks later returned all of the set top boxes since I got the phone and internet installed after the TV satellite was installed. The people over at the N. Pointe Dr location told me there was no package available that would decrease my price both times I visited with the equipment. Someone called a few weeks later offering me basically the same deal I had received from my new provider. Why would they not offer their best deal in their store knowing full well the customer was going to disconnect service?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,954 times
Yes, my response was, 'I'm under contract now, call me in a year!'.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM

260 posts, read 638,003 times
-- TWC/Spectrum experience --
Today I went from TWC Internet+TV package to Spectrum Internet only package. I went to Maynard Road office and had the most pleasant experience ditching cable. I have been TWC customer for 20+ year and today I got fast customer service without extra talk for exactly what I wanted.

Saved $70 per month on Spectrum bill and spent $77 to get one year of IPTV service. Never felt better. With all that saved money, I will get Mohu Leaf for receiving local OTA TV, Upgrade to ASUS-AC87U wifi router and OBI200 for GV home phone.

Best breakup ever!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:46 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachivalay View Post
-- TWC/Spectrum experience --
Today I went from TWC Internet+TV package to Spectrum Internet only package. I went to Maynard Road office and had the most pleasant experience ditching cable. I have been TWC customer for 20+ year and today I got fast customer service without extra talk for exactly what I wanted.

Saved $70 per month on Spectrum bill and spent $77 to get one year of IPTV service. Never felt better. With all that saved money, I will get Mohu Leaf for receiving local OTA TV, Upgrade to ASUS-AC87U wifi router and OBI200 for GV home phone.

Best breakup ever!
What is IPTV?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:12 PM

260 posts, read 638,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What is IPTV?
Please search 'IPTV' on youtube or reddit.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
Charter losses in legacy TWC systems continue to mount -

Time Warner Cable Churn Continues to Plague Charter | Multichannel

Not surprising ... Tom Rutledge (Charter CEO) told Wall Street last year that the existing TWC services were "mispriced" (read: too cheap) and he intended to fix that. Be interesting to see if they change their tune as the subscriber base they paid for in purchasing TWC dwindles.

Doubtful I'll be a customer much longer either in the current mindset. A friend said just the other day - "Wow we used to complain about TWC" :-)

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 05-02-2017 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 AM

376 posts, read 653,304 times
I was able to get Spectrum to extend my Internet Only to 44.99/mo!

I did have to threaten to switch to AT&T and previously just a week before they had said the lowest internet was 64.99/mo...so use the AT&T card.

No fiber in my 'hood yet so stuck on TWC for at least while longer now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary