Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,349,266 times

Advertisements

Kodi isn't really a valid source. It pulls illegal content and I would expect it to go away eventually, kinda like how Napster died.

Plus, the "older" generations such as Caps' head would explode trying to figure out how to work it. They have enough of a problem using an iPad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM

797 posts, read 3,571,600 times
Who cares if Kodi has illegal content. The Internet police aren't coming to your door lol. It is awesome.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM

30 posts, read 28,542 times
Has anyone tried the DirectTV app? DirectTV is of course by AT&T now, but I don't think the app requires AT&T as an ISP to use it, and its $35 a month.

I use a Roku as my streaming device over AT&T fiber, but they have not yet released the Roku version of the app, so I'm looking for feedback from those who have tried it on another platform. There is a 7 day free trial, but I want to test drive it where I will actually use it (on the Roku) after that version is released.

I assume $35 gives access to all the same channels as DirectTV satellite?

Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,520,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Kodi isn't really a valid source. It pulls illegal content and I would expect it to go away eventually, kinda like how Napster died.

Plus, the "older" generations such as Caps' head would explode trying to figure out how to work it. They have enough of a problem using an iPad.
Kodi is simply a free and open-source media player software application which has been around for 15+ years and is just a new name for XBoxMediaPlayer.

The hardware devices, and the add-ons that may allow infringement are not affiliated with or sold by Kodi/XBMC Foundation and they have never endorsed any of these products and have threatened legal action against those using its trademarks to promote them.

Amazon cannot keep the Firestick in stock. It has 51,000 reviews averaging almost 5 stars.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM

16,371 posts, read 12,363,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Who cares if Kodi has illegal content. The Internet police aren't coming to your door lol. It is awesome.
Many people aren't interested in viewing illegal pirated content, regardless of whether or not they're likely to get caught. There's a whole ethical component involved, but that's probably a debate for a different forum.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:57 AM

797 posts, read 3,571,600 times
And you don't have to watch pirated or illegal content. That is just a small segment of what Kodi offers. You can keep your moral and ethical highground and still install Kodi. Yes, it is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Many people aren't interested in viewing illegal pirated content, regardless of whether or not they're likely to get caught. There's a whole ethical component involved, but that's probably a debate for a different forum.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Kodi is simply a free and open-source media player software application which has been around for 15+ years and is just a new name for XBoxMediaPlayer.

The hardware devices, and the add-ons that may allow infringement are not affiliated with or sold by Kodi/XBMC Foundation and they have never endorsed any of these products and have threatened legal action against those using its trademarks to promote them.

Amazon cannot keep the Firestick in stock. It has 51,000 reviews averaging almost 5 stars.
Yes I know.

Please try to keep up with us here...using Kodi in the manner suggested in this thread has moral, ethical, and legal issues. I'm not surprised people think it's "awesome". It is "awesome". Any time you get stuff for free that most pay for it's "awesome". Napster was "awesome".

ESPN charges content providers something like $7.75 to offer their channels. Something like Scripps Network is IIRC $0.71 for ALL of its channels (Travel, HGTV, DIY network, Food Network, etc.).

ESPN charges an outrageous amount of money, far exceeding the other producers by a large margin. For now people have paid it.

I have a Firestick and have Kodi on it. I find it cumbersome to use but use it in place of a DVR. Instead of taping network shows (I can't do that with an antenna with my set up) I pull them up on Kodi. Is it wrong? Yes. The content was offered for free and sent to my house freely so I don't have a moral issue with it. My wife however refuses to watch movies on it. Instead we go to RedBox and for $1.50 get it.

Let's be honest, 99.99999999999999% of folks with Kodi use it to view pirated content such as movies. But it's still a PITA to set up and like I said for older generations they're not going to even get past buying the Firestick on Amazon...

Old 03-14-2017, 12:19 PM

17,699 posts, read 15,402,782 times
Complain or cut the cord. One way gets you off the cable/satellite merry-go-round.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:22 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,520,092 times
I am sure the monopolistic cable companies will continue to increase prices for the same content, not including premium movie channels, you can buy off services like Sling for $20+ and these services are going to be their downfall.

https://www.sling.com/

Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I am sure the monopolistic cable companies will continue to increase prices for the same content, not including premium movie channels, you can buy off services like Sling for $20+ and these services are going to be their downfall.

https://www.sling.com/
Sling is owned by Dish Network.

Keep in mind the providers (Dish, Direct, TWC, AT&T, etc.) are like insurance companies. They are the middlemen between the customer (patient) and content producer (doctor/hospital). Insurance companies get a bad rap but their margins really aren't super high (around 5%). They make their money negotiating with the hospitals to keep prices down and take a little off the top for themselves for the effort.

In the TV business the people making the money are the content producers such as Disney. That is who you blame for high/increasing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary