Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,858,078 times

Advertisements

Here are 6 places you can call right now.

Lawn, Garden & Sod Supplier in Raleigh, NC | Super-Sod

Turftenders Landscape Services, Inc.

Landscaping, Hardscapes, Patios: Raleigh, Wake Forest, NC

Raleigh Lawn Care | Raleigh Landscaping | Durham Lawn Care | Lindsay Lawn and Landscaping

Sod Installation Experts

Cary Sod and Drainage, French Drains, Cary, Raleigh, Apex, Holly Springs, Durham, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM

19,391 posts, read 27,674,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree that 7 days is unreasonable. It would take that long to get quotes and/or take time off work if you planned to do it yourself. You'd then need time to do the actual work.

But, 6 months? You can build a whole house with an installed lawn in that amount of time.

The reality is that you could have gotten quotes this week and got on someone's schedule for sometime over the next 2-3 weeks (which would be a fine time to lay sod) and if you offered this info to the HOA, I'm sure they'd work with you.

The HOA doesn't have to care that you want to do it yourself and/or save up to afford it in the fall. Or that you think it would be more economical to wait until fall so you don't have to sod, but can reseed the lawn instead. What guarantee do they have, with your method, that spring would not roll around and your grass seed would come in poorly and/or full of weeds and that you'd not be as attentive to them as they'd like?

I am NOT accusing you of not tending your lawn. I am trying to look at this from an outside perspective.

Ask yourself, if you were in charge of handling this, and all you had to go on was this lawn and what was already done and how it looks now, would YOU want to wait 6 months for the homeowner to try a method other than just having sod laid (which will look pretty good immediately and will only struggle if it isn't watered properly)?

That's what is going on here. That's all. So, yeah... I would be out getting quotes and looking for the most affordable and sorting out how to cover the cost.

Maybe find a place where you can do some sort of financing? I don't know if places do that for lawn installs, but I suspect it's not impossible.

The time for you to have had some firm ground to stand on re: doing it yourself was back before you put down the seed they suggested and it came in the way it has now, unfortunately.

But, you can always ask. Never hurts to ask. Maybe they'll work with you and you can wait like you want.

ETA: The former owner, while they had the wrong type of lawn, may have at least kept it really tidy and the only issue was the wrong type of lawn, so they kept getting exceptions until they sold the house. Just a thought.
If I lived in your HOA, I'd be pretty unhappy if they agreed to let this sit like this for six months. And I agree with RedZin other remarks and suggestions. Frankly, using the words "fight the HOA" in your original title pretty much showed your attitude and intentions.

That said, I'll relate a situation that occurred in our HOA (where grass and landscaping is included in our HOA fees). One of our neighbors had a plumbing issue that required digging up his ENTIRE front yand. Looked horrific. He went to his neighbors to explain so we all understood what was happening. When it was time to resod the lawn, it was the wrong season. The HOA agreed to allow a neatly layed, well kept straw covering until the sod could be planted a few months later. That looked a damn sight better than the photos of your lawn. And we had no problem with that solution BECAUSE THE HOMEOWNER HAD COMMUNICATED WITH US AND HAD A NEIGHBORLY ATTITUDE.

We also have used Garden Supply for landscaping design and planting. Very good folks.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM

16,383 posts, read 12,375,223 times
OP, have you spoken to the management company yet?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,858,078 times
Have you received any other quotes yet, OP? Update on HOA?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,333,854 times
I've scheduled a meeting with the board in a couple of weeks. They are happy to have a hearing and discuss. As I've said, I will tell them I commit to get this done by Fall for aforementioned reasons.

Frankly, I don't have time nor the budget to deal with this now. Especially given a first notice and only 7 days to comply and replace with sod.

Maybe you all don't work or are retired and have plenty of time, but frankly with a full time job, a toddler battling a flu which has been out of daycare, a handicapped father who lives with us that I have to take care of daily and who has a $4K dental implant procedure next week that I'm paying for because medicare doesn't cover, a FIL who got in a car accident 2 weeks ago without a car to get around now, I barely have enough time to sleep. I simply don't have the time nor the money budgeted at this time. Again, as I said, I want to comply, just need more time.

But thanks to those that have actually taken time to provide some references, it does save me a lot of research time. I thought that was the value of these forums. Not to judge someone for not following HOA orders in 7 days with a holier-than-thou attitude.

Last edited by meanieme; 03-19-2017 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,223,633 times
You came looking for advice and options, and got them. Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't mean people are judging you.

Good luck with the meeting. Let us know how it goes.

For the record, lots of people have kids, jobs, and other commitments that keep them very busy. It'd take 15 minutes to call four places for estimates. You don't need to he home for the estimates or the work itself. If budget is the issue, buy the sod and call a handyman to rip up the zoysia and lay the sod. Under 1k I'd guess for that Sq footage. Also in your first post you asked about lawyers....lawyers take time and a lot of money, so I'm not buying it.

Last edited by m378; 03-20-2017 at 05:12 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 04:54 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 15 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I've scheduled a meeting with the board in a couple of weeks. They are happy to have a hearing and discuss. As I've said, I will tell them I commit to get this done by Fall for aforementioned reasons.

Frankly, I don't have time nor the budget to deal with this now. Especially given a first notice and only 7 days to comply and replace with sod.

Maybe you all don't work or are retired and have plenty of time, but frankly with a full time job, a toddler battling a flu which has been out of daycare, a handicapped father who lives with us that I have to take care of daily and who has a $4K dental implant procedure next week that I'm paying for because medicare doesn't cover, a FIL who got in a car accident 2 weeks ago without a car to get around now, I barely have enough time to sleep. I simply don't have the time nor the money budgeted at this time. Again, as I said, I want to comply, just need more time.

But thanks to those that have actually taken time to provide some references, it does save me a lot of research time. I thought that was the value of these forums. Not to judge someone for not following HOA orders in 7 days with a holier-than-thou attitude.
???
Quote:
We bought a house from previous owner that has zoysia grass.
HOA sent a letter last year stating we needed to RESEED with Fescue.
You were notified that you are out of compliance via the letter last year, and last year was only 7 days ago?

Yes, your plate is obviously full, and I hope that the HOA folks hear you out with some empathy.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 AM

16,383 posts, read 12,375,223 times
Quote:

I would advise against this approach in your appeal. It could backfire. Badly. Remember, they all have busy lives and complications of their own, and they still manage to keep their homes in compliance.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 AM

9,133 posts, read 14,704,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would advise against this approach in your appeal. It could backfire. Badly. Remember, they all have busy lives and complications of their own, and they still manage to keep their homes in compliance.
Not only that, they also take the time out to do a thankless job of being on the board and if it's like many other communities hardly anyone else bothers to step up, yet constantly complain about things.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,135,699 times
Quote:

You clearly have a lot going on and are feeling overwhelmed.

I don't think anyone here was giving you any attitude and I can only assume that your feelings of being overwhelmed may be contributing to your reading of this thread.

I think people have given you every reasonable suggestion as to how to remedy the situation. I have seen a universal "7 days is too short of a time to expect someone to actually get all this done and you should push back on that" sentiment, so no... I don't think anyone thinks you should do all this in a week.

But, it's been a week since you posted, and in that time, getting a few quotes (it's a yard, they'll show up and prep quotes even if you are not there when they arrive) and contacting your HOA to see how much they're willing to flex on this issue are things that really could have been done.

Most of us work. Most of us have someone that depends on us for care. Most of us have bills and competing priorities. We do get it. So will the members of your HOA.

That doesn't mean they'll agree to let you wait 6 months to fix your lawn, though, and my comments to that effect were intended more to prepare you for the pushback from them and to let you know that it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that, after you being in the house for a year without the lawn being sorted out, they'd want this attended to asap.

That's all, I promise.

I hope your negotiations with them turn out well and that your other issues get handled soon and smoothly. Sounds like you're having a "when it rains, it pours" sort of month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary