Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM

152 posts, read 208,897 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if YMCA offers any specials on membership? The joining fee is currently $250...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Not that I know of - they do offer financial assistance with the joining fee if you make under $50K - ouch it was only $150 for us younger folks

Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRule99 View Post
Does anyone know if YMCA offers any specials on membership? The joining fee is currently $250...
Joining fees vary by branch....there is branch reciprocity with YMCA of the Triangle; technically you can find the cheapest branch (probably Lee County or Chatham Y) join there, and use your membership at Alexander in DT Raleigh or any other branch of Y of the Triangle if you wanted. Though that's frowned upon it's technically allowed.

There is also needs-based financial assistance.

Most branches also have reduced joining fees in January. They're 50% off in Chapel Hill.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:18 AM

881 posts, read 2,252,637 times
Your employer may cover it. I know the company I work for will cover the joining fee cost of the Y.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 AM

140 posts, read 143,987 times
TarHeelNick is probably right about Jan being the time. Our local one in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs (Kraft Family YMCA) has waived the joining fee in Jan in the past; but, of course not this year.

Sounds like you might be trying to join as a family. Might I suggest looking into a single-parent membership? It basically cuts the joining fee/monthly recurring charge in half (at Kraft). It creeps up over the years but I think I last checked, it was about $100 to join and $70 a month. As long as one parent is willing to be benched, it saves money. Your kids are members so they get the member rates on camps, sports, etc. I work out but my wife, not so much. She has come to the pool with us (but enjoys lounging/reading and not going into the pool) and they don't give her any flack.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM

152 posts, read 208,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enTERPRising View Post
TarHeelNick is probably right about Jan being the time. Our local one in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs (Kraft Family YMCA) has waived the joining fee in Jan in the past; but, of course not this year.

Sounds like you might be trying to join as a family. Might I suggest looking into a single-parent membership? It basically cuts the joining fee/monthly recurring charge in half (at Kraft). It creeps up over the years but I think I last checked, it was about $100 to join and $70 a month. As long as one parent is willing to be benched, it saves money. Your kids are members so they get the member rates on camps, sports, etc. I work out but my wife, not so much. She has come to the pool with us (but enjoys lounging/reading and not going into the pool) and they don't give her any flack.
Excellent idea. I belong to another gym and hence would not really be using the Y. Does the Y allow guests for a small fee? The the few times I might want to go in with the family....

Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM

140 posts, read 143,987 times
Quote:
Excellent idea. I belong to another gym and hence would not really be using the Y. Does the Y allow guests for a small fee? The the few times I might want to go in with the family....
It's odd but they don't have a system where guests can pay a fee (from where I've been). Your membership gets you a couple guest passes and I think they can accumulate over time. But, we've hosted and been to birthday parties at the pool, where a lot of attendees weren't members. So there's some middle ground. Definitely a question for the Y.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enTERPRising View Post
It's odd but they don't have a system where guests can pay a fee (from where I've been). Your membership gets you a couple guest passes and I think they can accumulate over time. But, we've hosted and been to birthday parties at the pool, where a lot of attendees weren't members. So there's some middle ground. Definitely a question for the Y.
They do have day passes for people ($10/adult, $5/child): https://www.ymcatriangle.org/members...rship-policies

Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:

FYI..If you are looking to join the Y just for the member-rate of youth programs; it is usually not that very cost-effective; unless your kids do camp and after-school and school and swim lessons or sports

It does get you the advantage of being able to register for camps earlier; but the non-member registration for camps across the association all opened yesterday (opened for members two weeks earlier on March 1st.

Also yes....guest passes are $10 for the day. They are also only for the guests of members.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,083 times
Default Ymca joining fee waived

Our local YMCA says that if current member were to switch states and go to a new Y, the joining fee can be waived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary