Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:46 AM

34 posts, read 38,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Any areas near downtown in any of the aforementioned will suit your needs, but you have to figure out how "crunchy" you are.

From greatest to least crunchy:

1. CH
2. Durham
3. Raleigh

Any of them will have the stuff you mentioned, but if you want bus service, you'll probably find CH more to your liking.

If near RTP is something you want, along with the urban vibe, DT Durham might be your best bet.
I have no idea what "crunchy" means. I really want to know, lol.

You will pay a premium for "walkability" regardless of which of the suggested cities you choose; with the exception of Cary. Cary's most expensive neighborhoods will generally include a golf course.

Cary, Apex, Fuquay Varina, Wake Forest, and Holly Springs all have small "downtowns" with main streets. Depending on size of the home, age, and condition $300K should be a do-able price point for any of these. If you aren't looking for a lot of options in businesses to walk to these may be options for you.

Raleigh has some very walkable neighborhoods as well:
downtown- it would be a challenge but there are properties in your price range that would give you options to walking or walking comfortably to the bus route (downtown has its own route)
N. Raleigh- previously mentioned. There are some neighborhoods that will get you to within walking of a few restaurants/bars with bus access to points of interest like La Fayette Village and the biggie: North Hills. $300K is more challenging here for walking depending on how many options you want to be able to walk to.
Briar Creek- a townhome in this area would fit your budget

Durham would probably best fit your budget if you want a lot of walking options or cheap rides to the walking areas. DT is quickly gentrifying but is still more affordable on the whole compared to Raleigh.

Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and Carrboro are all pretty awesome, but will be very challenging to find homes in your budget.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:53 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPNCMari View Post

crunchy

Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 PM

34 posts, read 38,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
crunchy

Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.

Well, in light of this definition I can't argue with the previous ranking. So glad I know this word now. I think I may have to start using it myself.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 17,504 times
Quote:

You will pay a premium for "walkability" regardless of which of the suggested cities you choose; with the exception of Cary. Cary's most expensive neighborhoods will generally include a golf course.

Cary, Apex, Fuquay Varina, Wake Forest, and Holly Springs all have small "downtowns" with main streets. Depending on size of the home, age, and condition $300K should be a do-able price point for any of these. If you aren't looking for a lot of options in businesses to walk to these may be options for you.

Raleigh has some very walkable neighborhoods as well:
downtown- it would be a challenge but there are properties in your price range that would give you options to walking or walking comfortably to the bus route (downtown has its own route)
N. Raleigh- previously mentioned. There are some neighborhoods that will get you to within walking of a few restaurants/bars with bus access to points of interest like La Fayette Village and the biggie: North Hills. $300K is more challenging here for walking depending on how many options you want to be able to walk to.
Briar Creek- a townhome in this area would fit your budget

Durham would probably best fit your budget if you want a lot of walking options or cheap rides to the walking areas. DT is quickly gentrifying but is still more affordable on the whole compared to Raleigh.

Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and Carrboro are all pretty awesome, but will be very challenging to find homes in your budget.

Hope this helps!
Excellent post, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Small little downtowns with main streets are right up my alley and definitely going to have to add Fuquay Varina, Wake Forest, and Holly Springs to my list.

Durham is definitely a possibility, but it seems that housing stock is quite low right now.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_mustache View Post
Excellent post, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Small little downtowns with main streets are right up my alley and definitely going to have to add Fuquay Varina, Wake Forest, and Holly Springs to my list.

Durham is definitely a possibility, but it seems that housing stock is quite low right now.
I'll say no to Fuquay and Holly Springs for walkable downtowns - yes to Wake Forest in the downtown area though.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'll say no to Fuquay and Holly Springs for walkable downtowns - yes to Wake Forest in the downtown area though.
Fuquay Varina has a nice little downtown area. They happen to have one of the best places (Stick Boy) in the triangle that makes a good baguette and batard!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I don't think the quantity of for sale inventory would be a reason to consider any area less. more, perhaps but not less.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I don't think the quantity of for sale inventory would be a reason to consider any area less. more, perhaps but not less.
Agreed, it means the area is desirable IMO, if you are patient and can wait for the right opportunity, you can find something in a low inventory market.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
crunchy <== granola <== hippie

I think you can find a 1300 sq ft house for 300k in Chapel Hill and Carrboro — most likely an older home, but a SFH under $300k is doable. Certainly in Durham and Hillsborough is worth checking out, too.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-22-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 05:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
OP - I'm not trying to be a big Cary hater, really - it's great for what it is (and maybe a little better) - but I too can't believe people are actually recommending it to you based on your criteria. If you had kids I might feel differently. Maybe I am off on my vision of downtown Cary but is there really any there there? (sorry Cary friends, I really mean no offense)

I absolutely do think you should come for a visit and check it out. But please check out the other areas as well. With a housing budget of $300K you can easily find something in Durham (look in the Rockwood and Forest Hills sections, near downtown). And everything Poppydog said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary