Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 AM

12 posts, read 12,674 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We are actively looking for an upgrade and recently came across southerlyn subdivision. I have searched online quite extensively but found little information about this neighborhood .There was one post mentioned about the issue of school assignment, not it has settle to be mills park middle, white oak elementary. Beyond the school issue, is there anything else that made this subdivision sold so slowly? They just opened phase two, and we just secured a lot to build the largest model. However, right after our contract they changed the whole product line, basically all the previous models are discontinued and the base price of new models are less than before but look less attracting. For example, the previous models all have 10 ft ceiling on the ground level compared to 9 ft for the new models. I am worrying that the dropped price and new models would affect the whole value of the neighborhood.

I do not know what is the reason for southerlyn selling so slowly considering the others sell fast for this area.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhoney View Post
Hi All,
We are actively looking for an upgrade and recently came across southerlyn subdivision. I have searched online quite extensively but found little information about this neighborhood .There was one post mentioned about the issue of school assignment, not it has settle to be mills park middle, white oak elementary. Beyond the school issue, is there anything else that made this subdivision sold so slowly? They just opened phase two, and we just secured a lot to build the largest model. However, right after our contract they changed the whole product line, basically all the previous models are discontinued and the base price of new models are less than before but look less attracting. For example, the previous models all have 10 ft ceiling on the ground level compared to 9 ft for the new models. I am worrying that the dropped price and new models would affect the whole value of the neighborhood.

I do not know what is the reason for southerlyn selling so slowly considering the others sell fast for this area.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I'm guessing you saw this extensive thread discussing the same thing?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...west-cary.html

And what's this about "settling" for Mills Park and White Oak? Not sure if you're referring to school quality or capping.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

And what's this about "settling" for Mills Park and White Oak? Not sure if you're referring to school quality or capping.
Yes, I have read that post. There are people mentioning about the reputation of the builder. For the school, I mean the base school especially for the base middle school ( previously salem now mills park). Our kids are still in daycare, probably not a big deal for now.

Is the builder the No1 issue for people steering away from this neighborhood? We have talked with people living there and they seem pretty happy about it. And for the noise, probably we should stay there for half day or so to get a feeling about it.

At the time of that discussion they have not started the new product line yet, so my main issue here is whether this would hurt the value of the other houses.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:

And also for our budget (up to 750K max), it seems like there aren't much choice for new built. Back in 2014 there were a couple of neighborhoods built at the same time and now we are basically left with nothing. I know that the ridgefield farm (across the street of Breamore) was just purchased by ashton woods and taylor morrison, that is probably the only decent sized lands left for west cary area.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhoney View Post
And also for our budget (up to 750K max), it seems like there aren't much choice for new built. Back in 2014 there were a couple of neighborhoods built at the same time and now we are basically left with nothing. I know that the ridgefield farm (across the street of Breamore) was just purchased by ashton woods and taylor morrison, that is probably the only decent sized lands left for west cary area.
What are your requirements/wants? Are you buying up to 750k because you can, or do you have needs that get you into that price range?

Noise-wise are you talking about highway or plane noise? Pretty much anywhere in 27519 you'll have both.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
What are your requirements/wants? Are you buying up to 750k because you can, or do you have needs that get you into that price range?
We are thinking of a 4000 sqft home with 3 car garage (apparently southerlyn doesn't provide the 3rd garage), yard with south-facing, 5 beds, 1st floor study, preferrably built after 2010. We are currently living the west cary (alston ridge school district), and would like to stay nearby.
We started to look for old house, but realized that it is too hard to find the one that fits our needs exactly and do not exceed the budget. That's when we begin to look for new builds, and in west cary nothing is less than 600K it seems like.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Is there any particular reason you need West Cary?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Isn't there a plan for Green Level Church Rd to be changed and routed around the east side of Southerlyn? I thought I had seen something to that effect. For me, if I had $750,000 for a home, it would not be on an Emerald home. I would look at a custom builder.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Isn't there a plan for Green Level Church Rd to be changed and routed around the east side of Southerlyn? I thought I had seen something to that effect. For me, if I had $750,000 for a home, it would not be on an Emerald home. I would look at a custom builder.
I recall hearing something to that effect and I agree re: not spending 750k in this area on an Emerald house.

You can get custom for that.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:09 PM

OP? Why not go buy a house over in Bellewood Manor? You can get a custom house for 750 or maybe less if you take a spec home and haggle for it.

It's not my favorite subdivision over that way, but they're custom and should retain value reasonably well.

Plus, they all have 3-car garages and are around the size you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary