Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 5,743 times

Advertisements

Thanks you all for your responses. Husband working in RTP. We have looked at many homes where the HOA has a limit on the number of cars. We were going to have a home built, but found out there was a three car limit with no street parking and a three pet limit. And even if you could park the cars all in the driveway, it would be a real pain if you wanted to drive your car in the garage with a couple of cars behind it. I would be nice to have no regulations and enough land to build an additional garage, but I'm not sure where that would be. We don't want to be five miles from a grocery store. We would prefer to be closer to the action, in either Raleigh or Durham but that doesn't seem to be working for us and when the rare home that would work pops up it is gone in a flash.

Any suggestions of specific neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 03:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emk12345 View Post
307 Thorn Hollow Drive
Apex NC 27523

307 Thorn Hollow Drive Apex, NC 27523 For Sale - RE/MAX

Note: I do not own this property nor am I a real estate professional. This is provided as a point of information, not as a personal recommendation.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info. We haven't really looked at Apex, but if it's the Peak of Good Loving I guess it's worth a look.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:53 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Thanks you all for your responses. Husband working in RTP. We have looked at many homes where the HOA has a limit on the number of cars. We were going to have a home built, but found out there was a three car limit with no street parking and a three pet limit. And even if you could park the cars all in the driveway, it would be a real pain if you wanted to drive your car in the garage with a couple of cars behind it. I would be nice to have no regulations and enough land to build an additional garage, but I'm not sure where that would be. We don't want to be five miles from a grocery store. We would prefer to be closer to the action, in either Raleigh or Durham but that doesn't seem to be working for us and when the rare home that would work pops up it is gone in a flash.

engage the professional services of a Realtor, and they can find you what you need. You might somehow be 6 miles from a grocery store (doubtful though), but you've indicated that the # of cars, pets, and parking are your most important concerns. And haven't told any of us what a budget or commute time might be.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 AM

I have a realtor who isn't finding us what we need. Lest you think I am a pet hoarder, we have a couple of cats and a couple of small, small dogs. Shorter is better regarding commute time but I'd say up to 45 minutes in rush hour would be acceptable and we are willing to go to $450,000 for the perfect house (tons of land, convenience with some privacy, in ground pool, basement, safe fencing for pets) but would prefer to be between $375 and $400. We also are looking for 4 bedrooms since we have 5 people.

No one ever answered my original questions though. If we can't find the right house, are there places where the extra cars can be parked? Or an RV or boat?

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
There are definitely commercial garages for boats out near the lakes (as well as marinas) and RVs. Not sure about just cars, but maybe.

The Extra Garage Self Storage Center

Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Try New Hill near Jordan Lake. A custom home with land just came on the market with a two car garage on the first floor, another two car garage on the lower level, and a separate three car garage on the property.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 AM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
Quote:
I have a realtor who isn't finding us what we need. Lest you think I am a pet hoarder, we have a couple of cats and a couple of small, small dogs. Shorter is better regarding commute time but I'd say up to 45 minutes in rush hour would be acceptable and we are willing to go to $450,000 for the perfect house (tons of land, convenience with some privacy, in ground pool, basement, safe fencing for pets) but would prefer to be between $375 and $400. We also are looking for 4 bedrooms since we have 5 people.

No one ever answered my original questions though. If we can't find the right house, are there places where the extra cars can be parked? Or an RV or boat?

Thanks.
Not trying to be a buzz-kill, but that's a heck of a long list for that price range in this area with-out going way out into the country. We had much the same list a year or so ago, minus the need for parking so many cars (and the pets), as we only have 3-4 cars at any one time.

As you will quickly discover, basements are not the norm. Neither are private pools. If I make up some numbers, and say 1 out of every 100 houses has a basement (probably less) and 1 out of every 100 houses has a pool (likely less), you odds of finding both become mighty slim.

The house out by Jordan Lake mentioned above definitely has my dream garage set-up, but that's listed at $675k which seems in-line with what we saw for custom houses with land and decent garage space.

We ended up at by Lake Wheeler, in the not really Apex area in a small neighborhood with 3/4 to 1 acre lots. We put a pool in, not an inexpensive proposition in this area.

Most self-storage places, will also store your boat, RV, etc. in their fenced area for a fee. This will get expensive as a long term solution.

Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are definitely commercial garages for boats out near the lakes (as well as marinas) and RVs. Not sure about just cars, but maybe.

The Extra Garage Self Storage Center
Thank you. I'll look into this.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Try New Hill near Jordan Lake. A custom home with land just came on the market with a two car garage on the first floor, another two car garage on the lower level, and a separate three car garage on the property.
Thanks. I can't find this house on the listing sites, but I'm going to keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary