Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times

Advertisements

"Manholes and Roaches" 🎼

Great title for a new country song
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
"Manholes and Roaches" 🎼

Great title for a new country song
I am LOLing.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM

37 posts, read 27,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The idea of calling the town to take care of their problem, and they actually do it, as Mike suggested, is probably also foreign to him coming from NYC.
Yeah, that was certainly a new one. I left a voicemail at OWASA asking for easement information one afternoon about 4PM and got a call back at 8AM the next morning. That's not the sort of service you get in a city with an 8-figure population. The tech gave me his email address for any follow-ups as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We certainly have roaches in the sanitary sewers here.
They feed on grease. That is why they are most common infesting kitchens. Sanitary sewers are full of grease, too.

In our other house, we had a summer where I worked late, drove home nightly after dark, and they were streaming out of manholes.

Used to dance around the culdesac stomping roaches, just so the neighbors would laugh with me...
When the town came out to spray, nearly immediately after they were called, they lifted the manhole covers, and the manholes were lined with the buggers.
Can you share whereabouts this house might've been? Basically my experience with roaches both in Manhattan apartments and in the outer boroughs of NYC in private homes is that a concerted effort (including the landlord getting the exterminators spraying, in the former case) over 6 months to a year can lead to total eradication. But if there's a limitless supply, then we have an issue. I mean, if they're living in sanitary sewers, the whole system is basically a roach highway. Not so bad if you don't live near an 'offramp,' but potentially awful otherwise.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Yeah, that was certainly a new one. I left a voicemail at OWASA asking for easement information one afternoon about 4PM and got a call back at 8AM the next morning. That's not the sort of service you get in a city with an 8-figure population. The tech gave me his email address for any follow-ups as well.

Can you share whereabouts this house might've been? Basically my experience with roaches both in Manhattan apartments and in the outer boroughs of NYC in private homes is that a concerted effort (including the landlord getting the exterminators spraying, in the former case) over 6 months to a year can lead to total eradication. But if there's a limitless supply, then we have an issue. I mean, if they're living in sanitary sewers, the whole system is basically a roach highway. Not so bad if you don't live near an 'offramp,' but potentially awful otherwise.
This was in central Cary, inside Maynard Rd, on the NE side.

Honestly, the roaches were coming out of the manhole cover holes, and making their way directly to driveways like they knew that was where the houses were.

Yeah, it was disgusting. TOC unleashed chemical Armageddon on 'em, and one trip solved it for the next couple of years while we still lived there.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We certainly have roaches in the sanitary sewers here.
They feed on grease. That is why they are most common infesting kitchens. Sanitary sewers are full of grease, too.

In our other house, we had a summer where I worked late, drove home nightly after dark, and they were streaming out of manholes.
Used to dance around the culdesac stomping roaches, just so the neighbors would laugh with me...
When the town came out to spray, nearly immediately after they were called, they lifted the manhole covers, and the manholes were lined with the buggers.
I had no clue this could happen..

Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, so you are from NYC, so you have a different perception of roaches. And a different kind of roaches! Most of the roaches you get in NC are the woodsy outdoor kind. They can get in your house but will literally starve to death because there is nothing for them to eat inside. They get big, multiply quickly, and are gross, but they are not german cockroaches. They can't and won't feed on sewage.

That isn't to say that you can't get the kind of cockroaches that feed on raw sewage in NC. But it isn't really a thing here.

If you have hesitations about the property with the three manholes, fine. But don't borrow trouble. I suspect you are projecting because you know that NC is vastly different from NYC, but you are struggling to qualify just what is different about it. Roaches in the manholes........just not something you need to worry overly about.
Stagemomma is right on! Yes these are NC roaches not the ones you see in the Subways of NYC. I have a manhole on my property, it is a non-issue. We have had a couple of roaches in the house, we then discovered water damage. Once the damage was fixed, the bugs went away.

We also have quarterly pest control and I only allow then to spray outside and in the crawl space. We really do not have any issues.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I used to see them in Manhattan all the time when I worked overnights and got off work in the morning.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Ur.... Uh...
A poop-tracking poop is a poop-tracking roach.
I don't discriminate between Yankee Poop-tracking Roaches and Southern Poop-tracking Roaches.

And, an American Roach boasting a 2"--2.5" wheelbase can track a fair payload into the domicile familia.
Nuke 'em!

Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 27,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I used to see them in Manhattan all the time when I worked overnights and got off work in the morning.
I've never seen them come out of manholes. Subway ventilation grates, but never manholes.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
I've never seen them come out of manholes. Subway ventilation grates, but never manholes.
Yeah I didn't mean from manholes specifically - the other poster was saying they aren't in NYC

If only. My father grew up in a first-floor apartment in Manhattan above the basement laundry room. He was germphobic for life because the "waterbugs" had the run of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary