Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:20 AM

333 posts, read 285,867 times

Advertisements

My prepaid ooma is $4.70 per month, so it's far less than $20.

My previous internet + phone + TV was $165 per month. This included cable box rental, and a host of small charges that I don't remember. Service was spotty, and the DVRs never worked properly, and NY1 which for me was one of the perks of Timewarner, often wasn't available.

Now I have internet at $40, phone at $5, sling at $30. Total is $75. A huge saving, I have what I want, and it's flexible. It always works (well, unless the TWC internet is off). Plus the quality of the over-the-air transmissions is brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,218,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Most people I know have internet service anyway and no landline BTW. For them, the legit comparison is the cost of cable/satellite ($40-$250/mo contract required) vs streaming only ($25-$70/mo no contract). If you'd actually drop internet, then your comparison is indeed valid - I just don't know many people who would drop internet irrespective of TV.

Cable/satellite is feeling the heat, big discounts are appearing (if you push). They're adding more channels, but that's not working with customers fed up bloated channel packages and high and increasing costs AND 1-2 year contracts. Our Dish Network sat pkg went from $82/mo to $43/mo when we went to cancel. We're cancelling anyway, streaming is much cheaper and way better for us. YMMV
But if you drop internet from my cable package you're left with around $50 a month. I don't have DVR's, but DVR's are sort of useless on a cable-cut because you're watching everything after the live-air anyway.

It's a pain to have to bounce back and forth between cable companies to get a good price, but I'm getting way more channels, live sports, local channels, and it's just easier in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 AM

138 posts, read 118,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So you pay $50/mo for internet, $25+ a month for streaming/live services, and then if you want some sort of VOIP you'll pay another $20+. Why not just get cable?

I really just don't understand the whole cord-cutting mentality. The amount of savings doesn't seem worth the hassle, unless you absolutely need to save a few dollars.

Someone convince me otherwise - I'd like to save on my 100+ dollar cable bill, but if it's going to be 10-20 bucks a month, it's not worth it to me to lose a bunch of channels and live tv.

Well, let's see...Internet cost around $42-$50 per month (Earthlink extreme or Spectrum). If you want to keep a backup VOIP service to mobile phone, you can get ObiHAI (with Google voice). It costs nothing per month except for the initial device cost (around $40) and the voice quality is excellent. Now, if you want local channels, a good antenna is all you need. You are all set. To me, this is all i need except when i want espn i sign up for Sling TV for some of the months. There is no commitment, and no haggling over the cable price . This is complete freedom.

But if you want Cable channels and other streaming services, and TV antenna doesnt work due location and don't want to deal with technical stuff like setting up google voice etc., then it makes sense to get Cable package.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:37 AM

30 posts, read 28,542 times
Quote:
So you pay $50/mo for internet, $25+ a month for streaming/live services, and then if you want some sort of VOIP you'll pay another $20+. Why not just get cable?

I really just don't understand the whole cord-cutting mentality. The amount of savings doesn't seem worth the hassle, unless you absolutely need to save a few dollars.

Someone convince me otherwise - I'd like to save on my 100+ dollar cable bill, but if it's going to be 10-20 bucks a month, it's not worth it to me to lose a bunch of channels and live tv.
I have both cable tv and also a Roku for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu movie rentals etc. but I'm also in a spot where I don't feel I can cut the cord.

First, most of the alternatives to TV I've tried force ads upon me whether I'm paying for them or not. One of the most important features of my current cable+DVR setup is that I can skip commercials. Time is money to me.

Next, some channels don't seem to be offered any other way. Some of the "Go" options require you to have a valid cable subscription to see most of the content anyway. And why do I want to load another app for this? Blech.

Then, if I end up juggling a bunch of different accounts and pay for them individually, I'm approach the cost of cable, but not getting a DVR or local channel solution without figuring out yet another solution for these.

Yes if my goal was to save every penny, while still having SOMETHING to watch, I could get by with just the Roku and Netflix or even Amazon Prime (which I would be paying for anyway). But taking into consideration my own habits as well as other household members, cutting the cord isn't a valid option for us.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piclada View Post
I have both cable tv and also a Roku for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu movie rentals etc. but I'm also in a spot where I don't feel I can cut the cord.

First, most of the alternatives to TV I've tried force ads upon me whether I'm paying for them or not. One of the most important features of my current cable+DVR setup is that I can skip commercials. Time is money to me.

Next, some channels don't seem to be offered any other way. Some of the "Go" options require you to have a valid cable subscription to see most of the content anyway. And why do I want to load another app for this? Blech.

Then, if I end up juggling a bunch of different accounts and pay for them individually, I'm approach the cost of cable, but not getting a DVR or local channel solution without figuring out yet another solution for these.

Yes if my goal was to save every penny, while still having SOMETHING to watch, I could get by with just the Roku and Netflix or even Amazon Prime (which I would be paying for anyway). But taking into consideration my own habits as well as other household members, cutting the cord isn't a valid option for us.
Cutting the cord isn't for everybody - the point is there are options out there other than getting an all inclusive cable subscription. Figure out what you watch and how much of it and figure out what would be the best option for you.

I personally don't watch any TV during the week and can live without some cable channels so cutting the cord was a no brainer for me. It may be different for your situation.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times
Question: I cut the cord years ago, I have a Mohu Leaf, Netflix and Amazon Prime, all of which plays easily over my SmartTV.

Is there any ADDED benefit of having a Roku if I don't get Sling? Basically, I'm asking if I'd get any additional value or options without paying additional subscriptions. (Yes, I understand I'd have to buy the Roku equipment).

Just wondering, and this seemed like the right discussion to ask.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 AM

678 posts, read 733,898 times
If you have a playstation 4, the Playstation VUE service is pretty good and affordable. You can get channel packages starting at about $30 a month

Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Question: I cut the cord years ago, I have a Mohu Leaf, Netflix and Amazon Prime, all of which plays easily over my SmartTV.

Is there any ADDED benefit of having a Roku if I don't get Sling? Basically, I'm asking if I'd get any additional value or options without paying additional subscriptions. (Yes, I understand I'd have to buy the Roku equipment).

Just wondering, and this seemed like the right discussion to ask.
Probably not. The Roku is the same as your SmartTV. I have a Roku TV which is the combination of both. The only thing that matters is what apps are available for what you need.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM

3,294 posts, read 8,533,371 times
Quote:

I cut the cord and saved myself $120 a month. I bought a $45 external HD antenna that I set up myself to get all the local channels and then I have netflix, amazon prime, etc. We were already paying for those anyway so they're no added expenses.

I don't miss my DVR or having access to 200+ channels that I couldn't care less about.

FREEDOM!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,218,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I cut the cord and saved myself $120 a month. I bought a $45 external HD antenna that I set up myself to get all the local channels and then I have netflix, amazon prime, etc. We were already paying for those anyway so they're no added expenses.

I don't miss my DVR or having access to 200+ channels that I couldn't care less about.

FREEDOM!
Your cable package was $160+ ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary