Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM

3,294 posts, read 8,533,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For people who watch a lot and want turnkey, cutting the cord isn't even in the picture.

The good news is for those that put some effort in, and who want something but not EVERYTHING cable offers, the savings can be quite significant.

For us, it's not can I afford it or not, I'm more looking to lower the the monthly spend to certain levels. Lower monthly spend levels means becoming financially free earlier, and it all adds up.
THIS!

I just came to the realization that I don't watch TV that much anymore. When I do, I have found other ways to do it without paying hardly a dime. I don't even miss paid TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,968,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
We've never had Amazon Prime or Netflix before, so we are going to try one service per month and see what we like best. Most of them give you a month free. For this month we have Amazon Prime for free. So far we are liking it. Then we're going to try Netflix and then Hulu. Each of those services are about $10 per month.
Hulu does a free month also..Great way to try it out with nothing to lose.
I like being able to watch all my favorite shows when it's convenient with no commercials.
Also nice while traveling to watch on my laptop or kindle.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,968,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I guess I think like Wheelsup. We can afford it. I just don't want to.
Exactly
1)saving money is fun for me
2)not having cable cuts down my TV time & therefore encourages other hobbies.
3) I have more movies and shows available now.
What is not to love ?

Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,393,979 times
If you're willing to forego live TV, you can save a fortune, and still see a lot on demand if you're willing to wait. From what I gather, younger peeps are so used to on demand, they don't miss live TV. Older gens, like me, are coming to that realization - we just grew up with live TV so it's a paradigm shift. News and sports are the hardest to give up live. But there are many good online news sources, and lots on YouTube very quickly after airing live. Sports is the biggest sticking point for many, but there are live streaming options now. If you want everything live, it'll cost dearly.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 7,740,164 times
I could afford cable, but it just seemed ridiculous to be paying as much as I was for it when 90%+ of the time I spent watching TV was spent watching Netflix, Amazon, YouTube or stuff available free OTA, all of which cost me about $10 a month (I already had Prime for the free shipping well before the streaming video became a thing). Even the $30 for Playstation Vue seems like a bad value compared to Netflix, but at least it isn't as bad as the cable companies were screwing me.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:04 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,019,494 times
Amazon Fire stick. Split Hulu and Netflix with my dad when streaming for convenience. Anything else, movies, premium original programming such as GOT, Girls,Big little Lies, I use Kodi on my stick or Let me watch this streamed from PC to my TV. Don't watch sports but my friend says Sling TV works for that
The cable and sattelite companies have been gouging us for years. Wouldn't shed a tear if everyone cut the cord. It's coming, the tech savvy customers left years ago and as more streaming apps are created and people adapt to the medium without the insane pricing and fickle package plans TWC and Direct TV will eventually bite the dust.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:09 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,393,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Even the $30 for Playstation Vue seems like a bad value compared to Netflix, but at least it isn't as bad as the cable companies were screwing me.
You may know, but the difference is PlayStation Vue is 40+ live channels whereas Netflix has zero live content, and you wait a long time (next season) for most networks TV shows and much longer than even RedBox for movies, but there is a little good original content on Netflix. PSV is much closer to cutting the cable/satellite than Netflix. So they seem fairly priced IMO. Whatever works for each.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 PM

36 posts, read 39,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
If you have a playstation 4, the Playstation VUE service is pretty good and affordable. You can get channel packages starting at about $30 a month
You actually don't need a PlayStation to use Vue. I have the Vue app running through Amazon fire stick and love it. I never thought I would ever cancel cable, but I am so happy that I did.

I do need to figure out VOIP for my home/office. Some good suggestions in this thread.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,349,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Amazon Fire stick. Split Hulu and Netflix with my dad when streaming for convenience. Anything else, movies, premium original programming such as GOT, Girls,Big little Lies, I use Kodi on my stick or Let me watch this streamed from PC to my TV. Don't watch sports but my friend says Sling TV works for that
The cable and sattelite companies have been gouging us for years. Wouldn't shed a tear if everyone cut the cord. It's coming, the tech savvy customers left years ago and as more streaming apps are created and people adapt to the medium without the insane pricing and fickle package plans TWC and Direct TV will eventually bite the dust.
Oh the cable companies already know. That's why internet providers keep merging and why prices keep going up. It's also why they are buying up content providers. Just as recently as last month you could get reasonably fast internet thru TWC for $20/month. It wasn't blazing speed but it was faster than my wife and I had just a few years ago.

Now, it's $65/month off promo and it sounds like if you threaten to leave they just say don't let the door hit you in the way out. The reality is we have no other option but ATT and they are the same price plus the stuff I saw showed they have a 2-year contract. Oh, and I absolutely hate ATT and will never do business with them if I can avoid it.

I'm hopeful the cell companies will get on this newfangled 5G Internet and we can have home internet just like we have cell phone coverage in the future. Suddenly instead of just a handful of providers we can have all the cell carriers and their resellers as well getting into the game.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,919,927 times
We cut the cord years ago and went with just antenna. We have the Mohu and a RCA brand (we got it at Walmart). The RCA actually works better than the Mohu for us.

While we were totally satisfied with just the channels we got via antenna we decided last year, around election time, to add Sling for I think around $20/mo. That way we could get more news coverage AND a few of my old favorites like HGTV, Bravo, A&E etc. However since the election we have rarely used Sling. I guess we just don't really have the desire to watch a lot of TV anymore. It's actually quite refreshing :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary