Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:28 AM

363 posts, read 431,461 times

Advertisements

I've got fiber with at&t recently and cancelled my services with Time Warner. I have Hulu and Netflix. But I want something to act almost like cable. I don't watch too much tv so I don't want the best thing out there. I am considering things like Roku and Apple TV, just not sure how they work. Do I buy the channels for the ones I want? And if I buy three of them, will all devices access the same services and channels bought? I don't want direct tv even though they're with at&t. Any advice and information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,700,153 times
You're probably better off asking this in the Entertainmen/TV forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/

Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
I have a Roku and I have SlingTV ($25/month) + Netflix/Hulu (~$20/month). Supplemented by an antenna to get local channels (can't get PBS but not a big deal since there's a Roku PBS app)

DirectTV Now is another option for SlingTV and there are varying levels of SlingTV depending on what channels you want ($25/$35/$45)

If you're not going to be religiously watching a channel, there are plenty of apps on Roku that can give you clips of segments to get you the same content.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,393,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I've got fiber with at&t recently and cancelled my services with Time Warner. I have Hulu and Netflix. But I want something to act almost like cable. I don't watch too much tv so I don't want the best thing out there. I am considering things like Roku and Apple TV, just not sure how they work. Do I buy the channels for the ones I want? And if I buy three of them, will all devices access the same services and channels bought? I don't want direct tv even though they're with at&t. Any advice and information will be appreciated.
If all you're going to want is Netflix and Hulu - Apple TV, Roku or Amazon Fire TV with included remote and tons of apps OR a Chromecast with a tablet or smartphone and relatively limited app selection will do fine. I'd want the same streaming device on each device, instead of mixing them.*
  • Apple TV ($150-$200) is way overpriced for what you get - and I prefer Apple over Android/Google (not an Apple hater). Most expensive on the market and the only one without any 4K! But if you're already in the iOS ecosystem, it may be the best choice. Apple TV kinda forces you to use iTunes and their stuff a lot, so movie rentals are more $ than other options.
  • Amazon Fire TV ($40-$80) is good, but they throw Amazon content and services in your face a lot - if you want/have Amazon Prime you might be OK with that.
  • Roku ($30-$130) is my favorite, the Streaming Stick at only $50 is a good choice IMO (don't buy the Express). Or the better models add 4K and other features.
  • Chromecast ($35-$70) is the cheapest and they works well. But it has the fewest apps by far, and you have to use a tablet or smartphone to "cast" with it. If you're OK with that, the $35 Chromecast is your cheapest option. If you want 4K, the Chromecast Ultra.
  • There are a few others, but mostly way more expensive or low end junk.
IMO The right way to go about this is to first decide all the apps you might want, anything other than Netflix or Hulu, and make sure whatever streaming device you buy has them.

* I'm going to use a Roku Premiere + on my 4K TV, and Roku Streaming Sticks on my other two TV's where 1080p is fine. The UI looks the same on all of them.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-06-2017 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I have a Roku and I have SlingTV ($25/month) + Netflix/Hulu (~$20/month). Supplemented by an antenna to get local channels (can't get PBS but not a big deal since there's a Roku PBS app)

DirectTV Now is another option for SlingTV and there are varying levels of SlingTV depending on what channels you want ($25/$35/$45)

If you're not going to be religiously watching a channel, there are plenty of apps on Roku that can give you clips of segments to get you the same content.
If he wants live TV and he's in one of the big 7 metro areas, PlayStation Vue at $40/mo (and up) offers even more than Sling TV or DirecTV Now. YouTube TV just went live in 5 metro areas too at $40/mo, another good alternative. And Hulu Live is supposed to appear soon too.

Look at the details carefully, the $25/mo Sling TV pkg is the cheapest, but it offers the least too (you can only stream one device at a time) and no DVR function (yet). It's the best value, but too limited for some customers, e.g. families. PS Vue and YouTube TV offer lots of live channels, including major networks in big metro areas, a cloud DVR and streaming at least 3 devices at a time. The $40/mo Sling TV option isn't competitive at all.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM

265 posts, read 268,790 times
I have a Roku and use SlingBox to get the basic channels along with some Brazilian ones. No contracts and you get switch plans whenever you want. We also have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and HBO Now. I love it.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 AM

333 posts, read 285,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
This is what I do. And my antenna (the Mohu Leaf, stuck onto the wall) does get me PBS, crystal clear. It depends on where you live.

A Roku is the hardware that you attach to the TV. It gives you access to Hulu, Netflix, etc etc. plus a few channels on its own.

Sling is a service -- to the basic, I've added the news feed which is mostly what I watch. With that it's $30/ month and you can have two devices streaming simultaneously.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,218,722 times
So you pay $50/mo for internet, $25+ a month for streaming/live services, and then if you want some sort of VOIP you'll pay another $20+. Why not just get cable?

I really just don't understand the whole cord-cutting mentality. The amount of savings doesn't seem worth the hassle, unless you absolutely need to save a few dollars.

Someone convince me otherwise - I'd like to save on my 100+ dollar cable bill, but if it's going to be 10-20 bucks a month, it's not worth it to me to lose a bunch of channels and live tv.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So you pay $50/mo for internet, $25+ a month for streaming/live services, and then if you want some sort of VOIP you'll pay another $20+. Why not just get cable?

I really just don't understand the whole cord-cutting mentality. The amount of savings doesn't seem worth the hassle, unless you absolutely need to save a few dollars.

Someone convince me otherwise - I'd like to save on my 100+ dollar cable bill, but if it's going to be 10-20 bucks a month, it's not worth it to me to lose a bunch of channels and live tv.
It's all about flexibility - you're really busy and aren't going to watch any cable content one month? Just don't pay for that month. You only care about college football? Just sign up for SlingTV in the fall.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Most people I know have internet service anyway and no landline BTW. For them, the legit comparison is the cost of cable/satellite ($40-$250/mo contract required) vs streaming only ($25-$70/mo no contract). If you'd actually drop internet, then your comparison is indeed valid - I just don't know many people who would drop internet irrespective of TV.

Cable/satellite is feeling the heat, big discounts are appearing (if you push). They're adding more channels, but that's not working with customers fed up bloated channel packages and high and increasing costs AND 1-2 year contracts. Our Dish Network sat pkg went from $82/mo to $43/mo when we went to cancel. We're cancelling anyway, streaming is much cheaper and way better for us. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary