Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 AM

464 posts, read 523,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
You think Raleigh's core is cooler than Durham's right now?

I think it's neck and neck...and Durham is getting close to surpassing... What do you think makes Raleigh's core cooler? Raleigh is displacing all of its "color" (if you will) and they're throwing up cookie cutter condos. That's not cool at all.
I love Durham (I really do), but let's not come for Raleigh with those same lame DT arguments.

Raleigh has a wonderful DT, and it's still growing. Durham having a better downtown is subjective. Raleigh being the biggest city in the Triangle (and outpacing Durham's growth in raw numbers) isn't.

I'm truly happy Durham is getting the recognition it deserves though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
IMHO, Downtown Raleigh peaked about 5 years ago (perhaps even slightly sooner) in terms of hipness. The positive hip things that have happened since, such as the opening of Garland and Ruby Deluxe, have been outweighed by things like the migration of Glenwood South types to the the bars, jacking up of rents, and more and more generic stuff lacking a local flavor.

Durham's downtown today feels more like the Raleigh of 5-10 years ago. I see some signs (gentrification, overpriced condos, trolley pubs, etc.) that we might be past or near peak Durham.

If I'm going to DTR lately, it is usually to do something specific - dinner at Bida Manda, a band at Kings, etc. Whereas if I want to go out and just have a random night out hitting various bars and a restaurant, I have been choosing downtown Durham.
Exactly! And since there are so many great and unique restaurants in Durham, and really there isnt a restaurant I have found in Raleigh that begs me to drive there to try, Im staying in Durham. There is just way too much to check out in Durham. Everytime we go downtown, we find something else to check out.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Raleigh has a wonderful DT, and it's still growing. Durham having a better downtown is subjective. Raleigh being the biggest city in the Triangle (and outpacing Durham's growth in raw numbers) isn't.
I think the operative word, from the article/thread title, is "hippest". DT Raleigh has become more and more mainstream in recent years, losing a lot of the "hipness" it used to have. There's still pockets of that hipper scene, but crowds and money have changed things drastically. It happened in Brooklyn, it has happened in Raleigh. It'll probably happen in Durham, too, if it isn't already. Mainstream publications writing about a places hipness is a trailing indicator.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,425 times
Durham's food scene blows Raleigh's out of the water, and there is definitely no debating that.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
I love Durham (I really do), but let's not come for Raleigh with those same lame DT arguments.

See below.

Quote:
I think the operative word, from the article/thread title, is "hippest". DT Raleigh has become more and more mainstream in recent years, losing a lot of the "hipness" it used to have. There's still pockets of that hipper scene, but crowds and money have changed things drastically. It happened in Brooklyn, it has happened in Raleigh. It'll probably happen in Durham, too, if it isn't already. Mainstream publications writing about a places hipness is a trailing indicator.

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Durham's food scene blows Raleigh's out of the water, and there is definitely no debating that.
Durham has more of concentrated scene with a variety of offerings, but overall, Raleigh's isn't tailing Durham by much if at all.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Exactly! And since there are so many great and unique restaurants in Durham, and really there isnt a restaurant I have found in Raleigh that begs me to drive there to try, Im staying in Durham. There is just way too much to check out in Durham. Everytime we go downtown, we find something else to check out.
You do realize Raleigh is 20 minutes away right? It's not exactly 'crossing the Arabian desert'. I know people who live in Raleigh and work at UNC. It's all one metro area. People who are exclusive to one city are missing out. It's their loss... but even sillier than that is the people who have very strong opinions about the city they never visit.

I can fill you in though:
You're missing out on Trophy. Also Chuck's, Garland, and Capital Club... and 20 other things I won't bore you by listing. Also if you like hookah, there's nothing in Durham. Gotto go to Raleigh. Gay? There's a much better scene in Raleigh.

Quote:
Raleigh was never EVER in its history perceived as 'hip', and as you look back further in time it simply becomes smaller and more country.

It's pretty obvious from where I'm sitting that both cities are nowhere remotely close to their peak. They will both have a lot more cool things 20 years from now than they currently do. It comes in waves and everyone likes to forecast doom and gloom whenever something closes (and admittedly, Mosaic was a huge loss recently, but people said all the same things you're saying several years ago when King's closed... and then it came back).

Last edited by Vatnos; 05-11-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
This is the silliest thing I've read in this thread. You do realize Raleigh is 20 minutes away right? It's not exactly 'crossing the Arabian desert'. I know people who live in Raleigh and work at UNC.

I live in Carrboro and I frequently go to both Durham and Raleigh on weekends, and I've already 'checked out' most of them. It's all one metro area. Nobody's making you choose at gunpoint which city you have to do everything in, from which you must never leave or lightning will strike you down! People who are exclusive to one city are missing out. It's their loss... but even sillier than that is people who have very strong opinions about the city they never visit.

I can fill you in though:
You're missing out on Trophy. Also Chuck's, Garland, and Capital Club... and 20 other things I won't bore you by listing. Also if you like hookah, there's nothing in Durham. Gotto go to Raleigh. Gay? There's a much better scene in Raleigh.
Well gee thanks for the nice comments! So let me explain something to you. I live in Durham. If I am going to be drinking, I want to stay close to home so I dont have a huge Uber charge. DT Raleigh is at least a 30 minute drive, longer with traffic. I can go to DT Durham and find great restaurants on every corner, bars in between.

Oh I have visited DT Raleigh many times. I wont bore you with what I like (and its not hookah). You have your views and I have mine. Lets try and keep the nastiness to a dull roar. Enjoy!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 AM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
Quote:
Gay? There's a lot more for you in Raleigh.
That is very true. Gay guys from all over the triangle largely go to Raleigh because it is the only place with a real gay scene. Durham has a little, but unfortunately it is still lacking there.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
As someone embarrassingly yet to visit Durham downtown, only partially due to reading anti-Durham sentiment on this forum, which I take with a grain of salt (about crime there), for a first-time visitor keen to see the nightlife and music scene, are there places to avoid so as to have a positive first experience?

Sorry long sentence.....

Parking, parts of town, etc.

I'm sure it's nowhere near as dodgy as places I've been in Manila, borderline locations in Brooklyn, the Bronx, etc.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Downtown Durham is absolutely fine. There's nothing to worry about. I would ignore the racist comments on WRAL articles when forming an opinion about it. Definitely check it out and have fun. Great breweries (Fullsteam, Ponysaurus), restaurants (the Federal, Cuban Revolution), music joints (Pinhook...). East Durham is a bit rough, but that's removed enough from downtown that it's not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary