Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM

419 posts, read 457,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
where might these places be ?
I go to Quality Inspection Center on Kildare Road. It's no frills, but I'm not looking for full mechanical inspection, I just want to check off the minimum inspection requirements and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 PM

6,641 posts, read 5,535,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I go to Quality Inspection Center on Kildare Road. It's no frills, but I'm not looking for full mechanical inspection, I just want to check off the minimum inspection requirements and move on.
There are some car wash places that do inspections as well - I used to go to Northridge Auto Spa when I lived in North Raleigh

Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 PM

1,694 posts, read 2,568,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
where might these places be ?
I've had good experiences at ...

Apex Inspection Center - State Inspection and Emissions Station - Apex, NC 27502

Old 04-12-2017, 05:50 AM

269 posts, read 319,492 times
The inspection itself only takes about 15 minutes. I went to Speedee Oil Change in Raleigh on a busy Saturday and was finished in less than an hour.

I avoid Jiffy Lube, given my previous experiences (multiple locations/states) with unnecessary upsells during their oil changes.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 AM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Yep.

I've used Quality Inspection Center, either on Kildaire Farm, or East Chatham Street for years.
In and out, and no hassle. No attempt to sell unneeded repairs, although they can replace light bulbs.

Otherwise, I take my Fords to Crossroads Ford Quick Lane and have it done with an oil change, tire rotation, etc.
CrossRoads Ford Cary | Quick Lane

No appointment at any of them, although at Crossroads it may take 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how busy. But they have a couple of hotel computers--Apples with big screens, Wi-Fi, coffee, water, nabs, and pastries.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-12-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,868,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post

I avoid Jiffy Lube, given my previous experiences (multiple locations/states) with unnecessary upsells during their oil changes.
I don't use those places either for services anymore. They messed up the oil plug and pan not once but twice. I guess some of those guys are too heavy handed.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM

5,780 posts, read 6,831,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I don't use those places either for services anymore. They messed up the oil plug and pan not once but twice. I guess some of those guys are too heavy handed.
As they used to say on AOL - "Me Too". I used to go a Quick Inspection place near my house that also did minor work. One time, the guy came out with the usual "You need a new cabin air filter, etc", but also told me my brakes were in critical need of replacement, and he happened to have the ones I needed in stock. I politely declined and drove straight to my normal mechanic, who told me my brakes were fine, at least for the next year.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,868,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
As they used to say on AOL - "Me Too". I used to go a Quick Inspection place near my house that also did minor work. One time, the guy came out with the usual "You need a new cabin air filter, etc", but also told me my brakes were in critical need of replacement, and he happened to have the ones I needed in stock. I politely declined and drove straight to my normal mechanic, who told me my brakes were fine, at least for the next year.
and not to mention all the extras they try to hit you up for

Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 AM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
In 1999 or 2000, the manager at Penske Auto Service, KMart, Kildaire Farm Rd. told me my 1998 F150 needed the front end bushings replaced, because the existing ones were "Slap wore out." He could fix me up for something to the tune of $700.
LOL I think I had 18,000 miles on the truck.
150,000 miles later, those poor bushings must REALLY be getting tired....

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,795,657 times
I've gone to the Jiffy Lube(s) on middle-Glenwood (US-70 a few blocks from the Chili's) for 5 years running.

Never a line, no appointment, never an up-sell. In and out in about 20 min.
I first went there because I was in a hurry and they had a large shop on EACH side of the highway. If one has a line of cars in the waiting lane, I pop across and the other's usually empty.

I agree that I'd not trust them with an oil change. But the inspections run very smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary