Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times

Advertisements

I was going 2 blocks to the post office and was stopped at a red light where you could go straight on green or turn right on red if safe.

The flea brain behind me beeped and flashed when i did not turn since my post office was straight ahead.

I put my hand out the window and pointed straight ahead .

Guess what. Mr flea brain then decided to go straight and followed me beeping and flashing at my speed on the long 2 block stretch to the post office.

The postal clerks and I got a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 05:21 PM

368 posts, read 294,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
147 through downtown Durham is such a cluster-f.

I think traffic would flow much better through there if a 3rd lane was added from Alston to Chapel Hill Street that's only purpose was for merging traffic.
Working on making that happen. (And the reverse, or at least from the Roxboro onramp through Fayetteville to 55.)

Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
I fear for my mother. She constantly drives in the left lane (at or below speed limit) if there's a chance she'll need to merge or turn. When I was rehabbing after hip surgery, she would drive me to my appointments. I tried to get her to stay out of the left lane, but no luck. I was a nervous wreck the whole time.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:23 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I was going 2 blocks to the post office and was stopped at a red light where you could go straight on green or turn right on red if safe.

The flea brain behind me beeped and flashed when i did not turn since my post office was straight ahead.

I put my hand out the window and pointed straight ahead .

Guess what. Mr flea brain then decided to go straight and followed me beeping and flashing at my speed on the long 2 block stretch to the post office.

The postal clerks and I got a good laugh.
I'm not aggressive like Mr. Flea Brain, but I do get pretty pissed when someone is front car in the right lane like you describe, and they are not courteous enough to try and stay left (inside their lane), or pull up ALL the way to the white line, so right turners can turn when safe. In other words, I hate it when some oblivious tick-brain blocks the lane when they could easily allow someone to make the turn.

If people were just more self-aware, ALL of the situations discussed here could have less instances of occurrence.

I would not have followed you into the post office though, but I probably would have had a good laugh about it with the clerk at the liquor store in the cheaply built strip mall.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I fear for my mother. She constantly drives in the left lane (at or below speed limit) if there's a chance she'll need to merge or turn. When I was rehabbing after hip surgery, she would drive me to my appointments. I tried to get her to stay out of the left lane, but no luck. I was a nervous wreck the whole time.
This is a great post to remind us all, despite how fast we'd like to go. I am the FIRST to shake my head at selfish drivers blocking the left lane, discourteous drivers blocking the right lane/turn on red, etc. BUT we've also got to remember that could be someones mom, someones grandfather, everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has stuff going on that we don't understand. Im not saying its right for people to do things like block the left lane (it ISNT) at the same time we can all prob read this post over a couple times and carry some empathy into our next discourteous traffic situation.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
This is a great post to remind us all, despite how fast we'd like to go. I am the FIRST to shake my head at selfish drivers blocking the left lane, discourteous drivers blocking the right lane/turn on red, etc. BUT we've also got to remember that could be someones mom, someones grandfather, everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has stuff going on that we don't understand. Im not saying its right for people to do things like block the left lane (it ISNT) at the same time we can all prob read this post over a couple times and carry some empathy into our next discourteous traffic situation.
Great post, they wouldn't let me rep you again.

It could also be someone's zit-faced teenage driver. who hasn't the experience to absorb someone else's aggression. A little patience goes a long way. Thanks for posting this.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

I get that all the time at North Hills sitting in right lane on Lassiter Mill heading east across Six Forks instead of turning right on red. Cars behind assume I'm turning right. I had a former mayor of Raleigh make a complete fool out of himself once over this

Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,684 times
Just like breathing down someone's neck by following too closely, whatever the reason or situation that is not an emergency, all of this impatience amounts to nothing, and any time saved is not worth getting everyone involved or witnessing caught up in the avoidable drama.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM

122 posts, read 98,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm not aggressive like Mr. Flea Brain, but I do get pretty pissed when someone is front car in the right lane like you describe, and they are not courteous enough to try and stay left (inside their lane), or pull up ALL the way to the white line, so right turners can turn when safe. In other words, I hate it when some oblivious tick-brain blocks the lane when they could easily allow someone to make the turn.
I've had this happen to me, waiting to turn right behind someone going straight ahead. So when I came up to a junction not long ago and I was the first car stopping there, I had this in mind and actually did pull right up to the white line and over to the left of the lane.

First two people behind me were driving cars. They were able to go past and make their right turns. Third person however, was in a giant pickup truck. Couldn't get by so the line stopped and everyone was waiting on the light.... it occurred to me that given the enormous amount of trucks and SUVs on the roads around here, sometimes it's not even possible to do this.

Oh well, at least two people were able to go!

Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For you guys arguing - you do realize the bill strictly states no travel in the left lane, right guys?!?

Has nothing to do with the speed limit.

That being said during rush hour that is a stupid law to even have on the books - no one is holding anyone up traveling in the left lane and it's needed to reduce the traffic in the other lanes.

During other times it doesn't matter as you can simply go around them.

I agree annoying and it just speaks to the lack of common courtesy evidence in society today.

VA is a funny state - speed limits so arbitrarily low yet fines for speeding so incredibly high. I used to live in Virginia Beach, there was a 5 lane (each side) highway with a posted 55 mph limit. Yet drive up 401/Louisburg and it's a 55 mph road even before the expansion.

Interesting, and semi-related article on speed-limits. I could not find the exact quote, but I think someone said the speed limits are artificially low, and someone else challenged it. Articles are not proof of anything, but this is an interesting read on the subject:

https://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary