Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:01 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,861,316 times

Advertisements

Potential job move.

Like NC before we got here, have never been to AZ (the role would be in Tempe) so am flying blind, this just came up suddenly.

While I do my research, just testing the waters for real first-hand experiences to compare the two locations.

Will check the comparisons thread as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:43 PM

5,733 posts, read 17,560,826 times
It is SOOO damn hot there. Word's cannot describe it. My entire family lives there: Mother, 2 brothers, sister, aunt. I go there every few years to visit them. I've had 2 opportunities to move to AZ for jobs and declined them both times.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:28 PM

19,393 posts, read 27,674,607 times
We're here since 2012 after living in the Phoenix metro area for 25+ years.

Yes, it's hot. Frankly, the Raleigh humidity is much worse, but shorter. I can't say I enjoy the cold winters, ice and snow either. But I have very few complaints about Raleigh, and not many about phoenix, either.

In Raleigh, we make plan A and Plan B, dependent on the weather. We never did this in Phoenix. It's been an adjustment.

I'll try to compare and contrast.

Cost of living is much less in Phoenix. Property taxes less than half of what we pay here. Utilities, food, restaurants, liquor- all cheaper in Phoenix. Happy Hour is a BIG bonus that we sincerely miss in NC (stupid regulations!) However, I believe health insurance premiums are higher in Phoenix.

Traffic - believe or not, it's worse in Phoenix. And getting worse every year. But the road system, street lighting and signage are a pleasure.

If you think the Triangle is spread out, you ain't seen nothing yet. The Phoenix metro (aka the valley of the sun) is 55-60 miles from one end to the other (Apache Junction to Goodyear. Some would say that's not ALL of the valley).

It's brown. The desert IS beautiful, but lacks the green grass, the flowers, the trees. And the houses tend to blend in with those desert colors. Smog is becoming a problem.

Great ethnic dining and grocers. Lousy indie movie scene. We find the Triangle to have more friendly people. We thought we had very good health care in Phoenix until we moved to Raleigh and found Duke (exception might be phoenix children's hospital).

We have no kids, but from what I have heard, the public school system is better in most of Phoenix metro, with certain areas having excellent schools.

Like the Triangle, Phoenix metro is made up of different cities with different atmospheres and home prices. Phoenix itself, then the east valley - tempe, scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Apache Junction, Gilbert. The west valley - Avondale, goodyear, Peoria, glendale, surprise. The east Valley tends to be newer housing, but not always. Scottsdale is certainly the most costly.

Public transportation has improved with the light rail, but it's still pretty minimal. Great airport - much cheaper and busier than RDU.

What else can I help answer?

Old 04-14-2017, 11:48 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,861,316 times
Wow, that's a lot of great info, thanks a lot.

What else? One of the typical "Zonie Wannabe" questions - scorpions? In houses and apartments?
(that alone is already a potential deal-breaker despite the good job opportunity)

Old 04-15-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

What else? One of the typical "Zonie Wannabe" questions - scorpions? In houses and apartments?
(that alone is already a potential deal-breaker despite the good job opportunity)
In the entire 25+ years I lived in Phoenix metro (one apartment, three different houses), I saw scorpions about 3 times. All baby scorpions, all at our last home out in the desert and two out of three near a water supply.

Totally overblown concern. You'll see more snakes here in Raleigh than scorpions in phoenix. And no, since we moved to Raleigh in 2012, we haven't seen one single snake.

The Phoenix board on CD is pretty active. Not as much as this one (though the Phoenix metro population is two or three times larger than the Triangle.) But I'll warn you - there are definitely some phoenix haters over there. Ignore them.

PS you and I have some things in common. I moved to phoenix in 1989 from Philly, a single woman, sight unseen, no job, no home, nobody there that I knew. I'd never been west of chicago until I made the cross country drive.. Then in 2012, my husband and I moved here, buying a home about 48 hours after our arrival on our very first trip to raleigh. No family or friends in either place. I've loved both of those risks, but prefer calling them 'adventures'.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:48 AM

5,733 posts, read 17,560,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

I usually hear one "I saw a scorpion today" story a year from my family, and the scorpion in question is always dead. . . . . but in their house somewhere . . . like under the throw rug in the foyer, or in the garage, or in a pair of shoes that is rarely worn. They all get their houses treated for scorpions each year like we do for termites. I can't remember one sting being reported in 25 years.

My mother lives in Surprise, one brother in Glendale, sister in Scottsdale, second brother in Mesa.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:44 AM

21 posts, read 40,326 times
I am 45 years old. I lived in Phoenix for 34 years. I have lived in Cary the past 2 years. Some things I have noticed between Phoenix and Raleigh:

- Raleigh summer lasts from June through September. I consider the Raleigh June-Sept to be as miserable as the Phoenix June-Sept, but the Phoenix summer LASTS MUCH LONGER. Phoenix summer starts in mid-April and doesnt stop until the end of October. 34 years of endless, unbearable heat is one of the major reasons my wife and I moved to Raleigh.

- Due to the Raleigh humidity, comparing temperatures of Phoenix to Raleigh takes adjustment. For example, in Phoenix if the temperature is below 70, I require a sweater or some other kind of outer garment. In Raleigh, the humidity causes temps to feel warmer so I dont need an outer garment if the temp is 70. I require an outer garment if the temp is 60 or below in Raleigh.

- I love having four mild seasons in Raleigh. I find it rewarding and honestly quite healthy for my psychology. The change of seasons reminds you that life constantly changes and you are part of that change.

- Phoenix is GIGANTIC! Phoenix is now the 5th largest city in the U.S. When you think Phoenix, think Houston, LA, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Diego, etc. From east to west, Phoenix is about 80 miles wide. From north to south Phoenix is about 60 miles wide. Metro Phoenix has about 4 million people living in the area. Raleigh-Durham has about 2 million. To keep things easy: Phoenix, in many ways, is about twice the size of Raleigh-Durham.

- Traffic is worse in Phoenix, but traffic in Phoenix isnt insanely bad, like in LA, Washington DC, Boston, etc.

- Raleigh is an absolute maze compared to Phoenix. Most of Phoenix is laid-out in a grid system. Raleigh, since it was founded over 200 years ago, many of the important roads are paths people used when the state was first created, hence Raleigh street-design had no central planning.

- Phoenix has much better street signs and many more street signs.

- People are friendlier in Raleigh, although people are plenty friendly in Phoenix. Phoenix is not NY, Philadelphia or Boston.

- Both cities are mainly transfer cities. What do I mean by that? Most people who live in Phoenix were not born in Phoenix. Same for Raleigh, although not quite as severe. Since most people who live in Phoenix were not born in Phoenix, they bring their tastes, beliefs, and sports fandom with them. Phoenix has all 4 major sports teams, but none of them "thrive" because fans already have their favorite sports teams before they move to Phoenix.

- Raleigh's economy currently is doing better than Phoenix's economy, although the Phoenix economy is not bad. During the 1970s, 80s and 90s, Phoenix boomed! Massive growth rate, massive need for jobs. Massive expansion of home building. Unfortunately, the housing bubble ten years ago wrecked the Phoenix economy. Numerous new suburbs popped-up on the outskirts of Phoenix, these suburbs suffered from countless foreclosures, and now Phoenix has not only too many people who cannot afford their homes, but also too many people with long commutes to work, which really drags down the economy in Phoenix. Phoenix grew too fast and is suffering the consequences for it.

Phoenix is a good place to live. I would never try to talk someone out of moving to Phoenix, but Raleigh is a better place to live. If you compare all the metrics which compose quality of life for an average American, right now Raleigh is doing a little better than Phoenix.

Last edited by Greymarch; 04-15-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 07:19 AM

22,648 posts, read 36,624,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
It is SOOO damn hot there. Word's cannot describe it. .
I've only been there once but it was in March, and the skin felt like it was going to melt off my body at the spring training game we went to. I legit felt like even the 50 sunblock I had on was not going to do one bit of good. And while there are some beautiful areas and scenery I could not handle the desert dryness.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM

I'd pretty much agree with everything Grey March said except maybe the final sentences on quality of life. That depends entirely on one's personal preferences and needs. I sincerely believe that BOTH areas provide a very good QOL, neither being better (or worse) than the other.

Grey March touched on an important topic in his/her 2nd to last paragraph regarding the economy and housing. Imho, it's critical to live in the Phoenix metro for at least a year before buying a home, and buying a home takes a lot more research than here. There are many pitfalls and mistakes - more, I think, than the Triangle real estate market exposes you to. And living near your work place really makes a difference in QOL. Even which direction you drive to work matters (i.e. driving from the west valley to phoenix means driving INTO the sun twice a day, which can be miserable. I know that sounds minor and maybe stupid, but it's not.)

Old 04-15-2017, 06:32 PM

67 posts, read 223,787 times
I currently live in Tucson, AZ. Have lived in Durham previously. Been in AZ for 8 years, lived in NC for 2.

The two are night and day. I'm a Texas native, so the AZ desert doesn't really call to me like it does some people. There are crazies here who just love it when it hits 100+. (Tucson is a little bit cooler than Phoenix, though.) I'm not one of them.

The summer really does start in April, though we have seen 90s as early as Feb. The heat won't let up until October (end) or November. I've been to Phoenix in the summer and it was 118-- I know 120+ does happen. I'm usually ready to kill all of humanity in September when the rest of the country has moved on to Fall and we're still in the middle of summer. (I've picked my kids up from school in the Fall and it was 110.)

I'd say, weather-wise, we have 6 good months and 6 bad ones. The non-hot months are amazing. Spring is amazing. If you like sun-- you'll like Phoenix.

As for things such as scorpions and rattlesnakes-- Hmm. We've had exactly 3 in our house in 8 years. Two of them were when we lived in a neighborhood with lots of construction. Most people who move here are scared of the idea of scorpions. After awhile-- you get over it. Rattlesnakes-- just stay off the rocks in the warm months and keep your eyes open.

Phoenix really is massive and I hate when we visit and get stuck in traffic. So, I'd look at where you could live near a job. Also look at the safety of neighborhoods (crime reports) and schools. AZ schools aren't great. Our allergies also took a major hit in AZ-- I became so sick when we moved here and finally did shots. A lot of people are surprised by that-- but it is true.

One good thing is that you are within driving distance to San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and SLC. Cheap flights to San Francisco. Flagstaff is nearby. I'd swear half of Tucson takes off for San Diego in June.

Anyway...good luck. We moved here without visiting and it's been OK. I find most people friendly (except most of the sunbirds, who live in their own world). Lots more to do in Phoenix than Tucson. As you already know, it just takes time to get settled into a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary