Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 AM

932 posts, read 1,269,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think the 17yo had dropped out of Jordan before the murders.
theres a shocker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,791 times
Quote:
17 year olds cannot be executed anymore, thanks to the US Supreme Court.
Yes that is true. It unfortunite, but hopefully he rots in his prision cell, especially if he's convicted of both murders.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,883 times
Quote:

Well I didn't think he was an honor roll student LOL

Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,925,797 times
How come we are not hearing as much coverage of the Duke student being killed UNTIL now? Could it be because he is Ian Indian male? I was watching CNN earlier and it seemed as if they were forced into showing a) his picture and b) reading a statement from Duke university. The anchor was fumbling over the statement (as if he was just given it) and they had one picture of him.......and 10 of her. Both are tragic, both are in the Triangle, both are students...the only difference is skin and sex. The murders are sad, but so is the coverage of the case.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,044,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
How come we are not hearing as much coverage of the Duke student being killed UNTIL now? Could it be because he is Ian Indian male? I was watching CNN earlier and it seemed as if they were forced into showing a) his picture and b) reading a statement from Duke university. The anchor was fumbling over the statement (as if he was just given it) and they had one picture of him.......and 10 of her. Both are tragic, both are in the Triangle, both are students...the only difference is skin and sex. The murders are sad, but so is the coverage of the case.
Actually, I think the big difference is that Eve was the president of the student body and much more of a public figure.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 177,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

100% agree. Other recent examples are the Laci Peterson murder and the Elizabeth Smart abduction... sadly, these things happen daily but the only ones we hear about involve upper-middle class white women.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,188,591 times
Quote:
My friend is one of his teachers at Jordan--not true.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,202,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Actually, I think the big difference is that Eve was the president of the student body and much more of a public figure.
I hardly think being president of a student body, even one as large as UNC's makes one a "public figure"...

tluv is correct, this has been hinted at by others in this thread but not openly debated..

2 college students brutally slain, random, senseless killings....

One is an Indian graduate student, the other is an all-American blonde, blue eyed girl....

One gets nationwide press, CNN round the clock coverage, the other was news on campus but quickly forgotten outside of Duke.

You really think the UNC killing got more press because she was student body president?? I don't.....

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM

159 posts, read 608,079 times
Truth be told, I think there's an element of the pretty white girl syndrome going on, BUT on the other hand, Eve Carson was a very recognizable figure at UNC. Before this happened, she was still all over the UNC website. Her position meant that UNC photographers had done numerous professional shoots with her for a variety of activities and purposes. She was already on YouTube. She had websites and facebook groups already, and a slideshow (go watch it!) on the Morehead-Cain site.

Mahato from by all accounts an excellent scholar and wonderful friend. He was accomplished and recognized within his circle of professors and friends. He was not a student leader at Duke and he was certainly not recognizable at large to the entire student body before this happened to him. There were few photos, and no interviews and videos available on the Duke website for news organizations to feed on and propogate. I can tell you that people at Duke were very, very sad about Mahato and we all said many of the same things about it being a senseless waste of a very valuable and contributing life, but Mahato was not well known, he was not a public figure that a lot of people knew or had seen on the website or had talked to at a town meeting or dorm presentation. There was simply a difference in recognition. I daresay any grad student would have received less attention than an undergraduate in the same situation.

Sure, some of it could be that Eve Carson was blond and All-American looking in the classic sense, but I think you have to recognize the difference in public awareness and availability of photos/media of one versus the other.

Last edited by Esperanza27713; 03-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: clarification in final paragraph

Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,202,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza27713 View Post
Truth be told, I think there's an element of the pretty white girl syndrome going on, BUT on the other hand, Eve Carson was a very recognizable figure at UNC. Before this happened, she was still all over the UNC website. Her position meant that UNC photographers had done numerous professional shoots with her for a variety of activities and purposes. She was already on YouTube. She had websites and facebook groups already, and a slideshow (go watch it!) on the Morehead-Cain site.

Mahato from by all accounts an excellent scholar and wonderful friend. He was accomplished and recognized within his circle of professors and friends. He was not a student leader at Duke and he was certainly not recognizable at large to the entire student body before this happened to him. There were few photos, and no interviews and videos available on the Duke website for news organizations to feed on and propogate. I can tell you that people at Duke were very, very sad about Mahato and we all said many of the same things about it being a senseless waste of a very valuable and contributing life, but Mahato was not well known, he was not a public figure that a lot of people knew or had seen on the website or had talked to at a town meeting or dorm presentation. There was simply a difference in recognition. I daresay any grad student would have received less attention than an undergraduate in the same situation.

Sure, some of it could be that Eve Carson was blond and All-American looking in the classic sense, but I think you have to recognize the difference in public awareness and availability of photos/media of one versus the other.
Some great points Esperanza and I agree with many of them....

My only question then would be, yes Carson's higher profile might explain the more intense local coverage but it doesn't explain the increased national coverage....

Also, while Ms Carson may have been a very visible member of her campus community who outside of UNC had heard of her before this tragedy?

I also find the blanket statement that any grad student death would receive less coverage than an undergraduate curious.

Ask yourself, if the Duke grad student was a low profile Eve Carson and the UNC undergrad student body president was named Mahato do you think the coverager of the 2 stories may have differed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary