Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,349,266 times

Advertisements

For fun my wife and I went to look at some "model" homes builders are putting up in NE Raleigh off Louisburg Rd. I don't know the builders. They were at the intersection of 401/Louisburg and Forestville Rd, toward Wake Forest.

The first was $250k but normally optioned at $275k-$280k. Had another section of the development that was around $400k. Did not like the neighborhood at all and the homes screamed "cheap". Carpet was HORRIBLE. I asked "is this the carpet you put in all your homes? Including the $400k ones?" Yes was the answer, they use the same materials throughout the development.

This is section 8 carpet as my carpet installer/landlord friend puts it. He puts it in homes that get trashed because of low end renters. <$1.00 per sq ft.

The next was advertised as "from the 300's" but generally were built to the $400k price range. The lots are much bigger and average around 1/3 acre. The build quality of the home was "ok" but I honestly felt my $200k home was built to the same or better quality. Trim was not mitered correctly in areas, drywall corners were cracking, even the floors had shoe molding on them when they should've been laid first then baseboard placed on top (this screams afterthought). Kitchen cabinets looked nice on the outside, then you open them and again it just screams "cheap". There were nicer things about it over my current house like the layout but I wondered about long term durability of it, and thought "is this all one gets for $400k?!?".

Same issue with the carpet, after 1.5 years of use it was worn down and looked dingy. If I moved into that house I would have the carpet replaced.

It seems all the money is spent making the outside look fancy, the kitchen LOOK nice, and the master bathroom spacious.

Last edited by wheelsup; 04-18-2017 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 03:01 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,537,206 times
Highland Creek? Looks like Centex is the builder

Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 PM

420 posts, read 449,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For fun my wife and I went to look at some "model" homes builders are putting up in NE Raleigh off Louisburg Rd. I don't know the builders. They were at the intersection of 401/Louisburg and Forestville Rd, toward Wake Forest.

The first was $250k but normally optioned at $275k-$280k. Had another section of the development that was around $400k. Did not like the neighborhood at all and the homes screamed "cheap". Carpet was HORRIBLE. I asked "is this the carpet you put in all your homes? Including the $400k ones?" Yes was the answer, they use the same materials throughout the development.

This is section 8 carpet as my carpet installer/landlord friend puts it. He puts it in homes that get trashed because of low end renters. <$1.00 per sq ft.

The next was advertised as "from the 300's" but generally were built to the $400k price range. The lots are much bigger and average around 1/3 acre. The build quality of the home was "ok" but I honestly felt my $200k home was built to the same or better quality. Trim was not mitered correctly in areas, drywall corners were cracking, even the floors had shoe molding on them when they should've been laid first then baseboard placed on top (this screams afterthought). Kitchen cabinets looked nice on the outside, then you open them and again it just screams "cheap". There were nicer things about it over my current house like the layout but I wondered about long term durability of it, and thought "is this all one gets for $400k?!?".

Same issue with the carpet, after 1.5 years of use it was worn down and looked dingy. If I moved into that house I would have the carpet replaced.

It seems all the money is spent making the outside look fancy, the kitchen LOOK nice, and the master bathroom spacious.

When I moved down to the triangle a few years back, I rented a brand new townhouse in Chapel Hill. Looked beautiful. Imagine my surprise when a couple of days after moving in I felt something on the "wood" floor poke my foot. I look down and see the PAPER wood floor was peeling up. I didn't even know such a thing existed! The other issue that was immediately noticeable was when my neighbors left their place and shut/slammed the front door, my unit actually shook. I was sure the entire building collapse on me every time there was a storm with high winds.

As people always say on here, until people stop buying this crap, it will continue to be built.
Properties are built to look very appealing but the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
As my late Mom used to say, "it's like wearing ripped undergarments under a beautiful evening gown".

My eventual goal is a nice solidly built home from the 60's or 70's redone completely to my liking. Good bones never go out of style.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,931,187 times
Tri: a friend in Durham did what your goal is.
had to rewire the whole house to meet code.
also added about three times more outlets.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Tri: a friend in Durham did what your goal is.
had to rewire the whole house to meet code.
also added about three times more outlets.
Thanks. Does your friend feel it was worth it?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,172,810 times
We rented a brand new apartment in Raleigh and like Tri Love were thrilled with at first, but as the building settled the walls started cracking and it was clear the workmanship was shoddy.

We just bought a 1960s split in good condition and will be slowly redoing it. We removed asbestos ceiling and wood paneling first, but just keep in mind that you'll likely have to fix unsexy things like plumbing, roofing, HVAC before getting to exciting things like the kitchen. Fortunately our house was well maintained, but it will be a little but before we can tackle the fun stuff. We did what we could before moving into the house. I know I will probably hate myself when we have to live in a construction zone or without a kitchen while we renovate.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
We rented a brand new apartment in Raleigh and like Tri Love were thrilled with at first, but as the building settled the walls started cracking and it was clear the workmanship was shoddy.

We just bought a 1960s split in good condition and will be slowly redoing it. We removed asbestos ceiling and wood paneling first, but just keep in mind that you'll likely have to fix unsexy things like plumbing, roofing, HVAC before getting to exciting things like the kitchen. Fortunately our house was well maintained, but it will be a little but before we can tackle the fun stuff. We did what we could before moving into the house. I know I will probably hate myself when we have to live in a construction zone or without a kitchen while we renovate.
Yes, it is true the in between time willl not be fun (I have lived without a kitchen!) but the joy is in the journey.
Good luck to you. Those splits are solid houses!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,349,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Highland Creek? Looks like Centex is the builder
No, the developments were called "Drayton".

Here is the more expensive home builder:
Drayton Reserve - New Homes in Wake Forest, NC 27587 | CalAtlantic Homes

The other Drayton was across the street.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
This is why I won't buy new construction unless it was custom built by a high end builder which was out of budget for us. We instead bought a house that was newer (built in 2000) by a quality builder. If you do buy new make sure they don't have the windows that are melting siding and starting fires. A friend made that mistake and the builder went under so they're screwed basically.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:36 AM

3,381 posts, read 7,740,164 times
Even the custom builders are relying on subs for the actual build. When an area is throwing up houses as fast as this area does at times, it is always a concern. You at least hope the custom guys are supervising and catching the most egregious things better than the big national builders, but that isn't always the case. If you build new, really good to keep an eye on things along the way, bringing a knowledgable person with you. Most people just wait till the end and get an inspector to a cursory check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary