Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 AM

19,381 posts, read 27,631,199 times

Advertisements

Road trip time! We have easy pass and we don't mind paying tolls. Eventual destination is just north of the art museum (home exchange).

I suspect we'll be looking for the quickest route, but might consider a scenic route that adds no more than one hour to the seven hours trip.

AND if there's a convenient wegeman's along the way, I'd love to make a stop. There isn't one in Philly (already checked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,314,505 times
This thread has some good info: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...h-raleigh.html

The problem is there is no good alternative to I-95, and problems are frequent on 95. Your best bet is to leave very early in the AM, keep your fingers crossed, and use the Waze app.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM

22,629 posts, read 36,578,101 times
There are plenty of alternatives to I95 especially if you don't mind the scenic route. You can take Route 29 up through VA (I know there are people here with better directions than me just throwing it out there) or if you go up 95 and want to avoid the DC maelstrom you can get on 301 into Delaware (I think). I'm sure you'll get some good responses, my DH has done the route 29 thing a few times.

If you do take I95 there is a Wegman's in Fredericksburg, we've stayed at the Homewood Suites next door (the Homewood Suites is right on the southbound lanes). Maybe 5 minutes off the highway.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM

749 posts, read 849,623 times
We went last week to Philly and stopped at the Wegmans at Dale City to see what all the fuss was about. We went on I-95 and the traffic was horrendous. It took us forever to get there and back. Only highlight of the trip was wegmans and it was very close to i95 and convenient.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 AM

369 posts, read 458,194 times
It's SO much easier/quicker to fly to Philly, but if you are set on the "road trip experience" definitely use the Waze app! 95 is your best bet unfortunately unless you want to take a longer/scenic route.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,462,848 times
Take I-85 north to Petersburg, then hop on I-95 and continue north through Richmond. North of Richmond in the community of Ruther Glen, get off I-95 and hop on Rogers Clark Blvd (207) and briefly drive east to Bowling Green, VA. In Bowling Green, get on highway 301 which will take you further north across the Potomac and into southern Maryland. Highway 301 will get you around the D.C. metro and the awful traffic in that area. 301 eventually hits the Baltimore metro, where you'll hop back on I-95 north to Philly.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,479,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Road trip time! We have easy pass and we don't mind paying tolls. Eventual destination is just north of the art museum (home exchange).

I suspect we'll be looking for the quickest route, but might consider a scenic route that adds no more than one hour to the seven hours trip.

AND if there's a convenient wegeman's along the way, I'd love to make a stop. There isn't one in Philly (already checked).
Take 95, but take the tunnel in Baltimore. It's worth every penny of the toll. Stay on 95 to the Commodore Barry, then cross over to South Jersey & take 295 northbound. Get off at exit 33, go left on Haddonfield-Berlin road, into Haddonfield. Turn right at Kings Highway & left on Grove Street. Stay on Grove to Route 70/Marlton Pike, & go left, staying in the right lane. You can pull into Wegmans, which will be on the right. When you leave, go right on Rt 70 & it will take you to the Ben Franklin Bridge. Your choice when you've crossed the bridge to take the Vine Street Expressway to, I think, 21st St, or jog right to go westbound to get to the Ben Franklin Parkway.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM

173 posts, read 191,816 times
JayJayCB nailed it... this is a great, smooth, swift routing.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM

19,381 posts, read 27,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
It's SO much easier/quicker to fly to Philly, but if you are set on the "road trip experience" definitely use the Waze app! 95 is your best bet unfortunately unless you want to take a longer/scenic route.
We will be there for 2 weeks and will need the car. The cost of flying plus rental car outweighed the 'hassle' of driving.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Now - does anybody have a way to get the Waze app to talk? (we normally use Garmin or the GPS that is built into the car, but I know neither are accurate in predicting traffic jams.)

Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 PM

9,765 posts, read 15,714,546 times
My tip is to make sure that you have an EZ-Pass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary