Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,545,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What lie tempted you?
LITERALLY laughing out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The methodology is all on Niche's site. Based on their profiles Morrisville edges out Cary A+ vs. A in public schools, jobs, and diversity. Morrisville is certainly served by some highly ranked schools, while Cary has more of a mix of great and merely good ones.

l]
Morrisville is home to two public schools - Morrisville Elementary and Cedar Fork Elementary. No middle schools and no high schools. Ridiculous.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
A layoff in New Orleans.
That's a lie that the Triangle told you. OK.

One thing I really like about the schools here, if the OP of that other thread is reading, is that they teach reading comprehension real good.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,732,276 times
I find the school ranking stuff, and especially all the people overly relying on them to make life decisions, pretty absurd to begin with, but then using that as a main criteria in ranking towns and coming up with Morrisville as the best place to live in the state is absolutely ridiculous.

Terrible roads, terrible traffic, blah neighborhoods, airplane and train noise, limited shopping and restaurants. And where is this great greenway system? It is a patchwork that doesn't connect to the incredible greenway system in the county right now (this will change in a few years when a greenway runs parallel to Aviation/Morrisville-Carpenter).

The road design around the railroad is horrendous. The got rid of access to Church Street from 54 on the RTP side. The other side of Church St, the one that should have been closed, dumps out into the worst intersection in the county and has no traffic light as it backs up with people trying to turn left.

Crabtree Creek cuts off the southern portion of the town, such that you can't access the town's community park or Morrisville Elementary from the north without traveling out to busy Davis Drive or 54. McCrimmon ends at 54 on the one side, instead of going straight and hooking up with Airport Rd somehow. On the other end, McCrimmon just ends, at a dangerous 3-way stop that driver's often refuse to stop for, instead of continuing on across 55. Louis Stephens, too, doesn't connect from RTP on the north to the Breckenridge neighborhood to the south. The whole area seems like an afterthought.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,410,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I find the school ranking stuff, and especially all the people overly relying on them to make life decisions, pretty absurd to begin with, but then using that as a main criteria in ranking towns and coming up with Morrisville as the best place to live in the state is absolutely ridiculous.

Terrible roads, terrible traffic, blah neighborhoods, airplane and train noise, limited shopping and restaurants. And where is this great greenway system? It is a patchwork that doesn't connect to the incredible greenway system in the county right now (this will change in a few years when a greenway runs parallel to Aviation/Morrisville-Carpenter).

The road design around the railroad is horrendous. The got rid of access to Church Street from 54 on the RTP side. The other side of Church St, the one that should have been closed, dumps out into the worst intersection in the county and has no traffic light as it backs up with people trying to turn left.

Crabtree Creek cuts off the southern portion of the town, such that you can't access the town's community park or Morrisville Elementary from the north without traveling out to busy Davis Drive or 54. McCrimmon ends at 54 on the one side, instead of going straight and hooking up with Airport Rd somehow. On the other end, McCrimmon just ends, at a dangerous 3-way stop that driver's often refuse to stop for, instead of continuing on across 55. Louis Stephens, too, doesn't connect from RTP on the north to the Breckenridge neighborhood to the south. The whole area seems like an afterthought.
Morrisville is...in many ways....an afterthought of thr Triangle.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM

9,126 posts, read 14,675,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
I'm curious about what plans are in place to fix traffic in the problem areas. I know they are talking about extending McCrimmon to Evans St. It will surely help some but will also take years to complete. I am not doubting you on this but I am wondering what else is in the works. I've not see anything that looks like it will make a significant impact.
Work has started on McCrimmon already. Morrisville, NC - Official Website - McCrimmon Parkway Extension
The town has spent a few million on design and right of way for widening Morrisville-Carpenter widening and received some matching grant money a couple of months ago. Construction should start on that next year. And they will be closing both Church and Page streets to left turns at the start of that project. Morrisville, NC - Official Website - Morrisville-Carpenter Rd Widening

DOT has finally gotten off their rear and will be widening 54 from 540 to Airport Blvd and Aviation parkway from 40 to 54 in the next few years. They are working on widening the rest of 54 toward Cary, though they have a way to go on that last I checked.

As far as greenways, they are starting on the project to connect everything in a week or so (they have actually kind of started some utility work, but the groundbreaking is next week) Also, you can quite easily access the park without going on Davis or McCrimmon if you check maps and realize there's a back entrance. My wife and I walk from our house on the other side of M-C with our dogs all the time.

The closure of Church at the north end was a requirement of the railroad. Things would definitely be better if it wasn't here, for sure.

But, even living here, I do find it curious, not knowing their exact methodology. Take, nightlife. Obviously, there is little nightlife in Morrisville itself, yet they rank it somewhat high in that. Maybe because we are close to both Raleigh and Durham? Could say the same for the current state of greenways or shopping other than the typical stuff. But honestly, that's why we moved here. Not specifically because of what's in Morrisville, but the proximity to the overal area. And airplane noise is not the problem most people think it will be. Plus, don't discount the utility of being close by as well. Early or late flights aren't nearly as bad when it's only a 7 minute drive and my wife can land, call me, I then leave and sometimes have to make a lap or two before she gets to the pick up zone.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 04-20-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,223,630 times
I doubt if anybody came here and checked it out. Probably just based it all on stats and Morrisville looks pretty good on paper/screen.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,146,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't see it. I mean, I like Morrisville... but best?

It's not very big. It has no downtown. It is right in the flight path and near the train tracks so you have airplane noise AND train noise.

I have always thought the town didn't do anything remotely thoughtful in planning out Morrisville.

Parks? How many are there? Greenways? I guess?

Sidewalks? Yes. But, most places that aren't rural here have those.

Traffic? Yes. It does suck. They do very little to nothing about that.

When the developer built ParkWest Village, they built it based on Cary demographics to encourage people to rent space there because it is right on the border between Morrisville and Cary and Morrisville by itself could never support a place like that.

So, aside from being close to RTP, Durham and Cary, I don't see much about Morrisville that would make me choose it over Cary, Apex, or Raleigh.
Interesting! There was a time when no one wanted to live in Morrisville. After all, it was just a small area with an airport, farms and some industry.

It wasn't until Cary became so expensive that developers pushed out into Morrisville and used a Cary address.

The first time I went to Twin Lakes, I was surprised when the onsite agent told me "this is Cary". Ummm, no. You may have a Cary address but this is Morrisville.

I look at Morrisville as a "bedroom community" to Cary, much like Cary was to Raleigh back in the '70s and '80s.

Morrisville is a nice place to live. I have tons of clients that love living there. I just don't agree that it is the BEST place to live but...I live in North Raleigh NOW and I think it is the BEST place to live!!!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:36 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,082,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Interesting! There was a time when no one wanted to live in Morrisville. After all, it was just a small area with an airport, farms and some industry.

It wasn't until Cary became so expensive that developers pushed out into Morrisville and used a Cary address.

The first time I went to Twin Lakes, I was surprised when the onsite agent told me "this is Cary". Ummm, no. You may have a Cary address but this is Morrisville.

I look at Morrisville as a "bedroom community" to Cary, much like Cary was to Raleigh back in the '70s and '80s.

Morrisville is a nice place to live. I have tons of clients that love living there. I just don't agree that it is the BEST place to live but...I live in North Raleigh NOW and I think it is the BEST place to live!!!
I think Morrisville should have allowed Cary to annex it.

It's not very large and the taxes are higher than the taxes in Cary. I feel like I should read up on the history, but most people THINK they're in Cary when they are in Morrisville... or they THINK they're already in Durham by the time they hit the area of Morrisville that's in RTP (over around Kit Creek).

Odd place, as a separate entity, anyway.

North Raleigh is a nice area. I don't care for now it personally, because so much of what I need regular access to is on this side of town.

But, I have lived there more than once and it's quite nice.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,756,923 times
I live in N Raleigh and want to downsize,maybe head to the coast. Although having a Harris-Teeter; Trader Joe's; Costco; Farmer Market; Whole Foods; Sprouts; and a Wegman's coming and ALL 10 minutes or less away makes me wonder if I will regret/miss the convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary