Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
One of these things is not like the other. Adding Chatham to the list is laughably dumb unless the sole intent is an attempt to hamstring corporate development in the future Chatham Park.

I see this bill getting squashed along the way.
Seemed odd to me too...here's what the article that the OP linked to says:

"Those four counties are considered "attainment areas" under the proposal because they outperform the state in terms of unemployment rate, per capita income, growth percentage and adjusted property values. (Sen. Harry) Brown initially included Orange County as an attainment area but later said the state's latest economic data shows the county no longer exceeds state averages in all four areas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
One of these things is not like the other. Adding Chatham to the list is laughably dumb unless the sole intent is an attempt to hamstring corporate development in the future Chatham Park.

I see this bill getting squashed along the way.
Good observation, didn't see that at first.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:58 AM

326 posts, read 384,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Seemed odd to me too...here's what the article that the OP linked to says:

"Those four counties are considered "attainment areas" under the proposal because they outperform the state in terms of unemployment rate, per capita income, growth percentage and adjusted property values. (Sen. Harry) Brown initially included Orange County as an attainment area but later said the state's latest economic data shows the county no longer exceeds state averages in all four areas."
I saw that, but I think those metrics (unemployment rate, per capita income, growth percentage and adjusted property values) are just pulled out of Brown's you-know-what. What the heck does adjusted property value even mean and what does it have to do with corporate economic incentives? I don't agree with the proposal at all, but Orange, Forsyth, Guilford, and Gaston all quickly come to mind as better alternatives than Chatham. I still have to believe including Chatham on the list was directly targeted at limiting incentives going to potential Chatham Park corporate tenants.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I saw that, but I think those metrics (unemployment rate, per capita income, growth percentage and adjusted property values) are just pulled out of Brown's you-know-what. What the heck does adjusted property value even mean and what does it have to do with corporate economic incentives? I don't agree with the proposal at all, but Orange, Forsyth, Guilford, and Gaston all quickly come to mind as better alternatives than Chatham. I still have to believe including Chatham on the list was directly targeted at limiting incentives going to potential Chatham Park corporate tenants.
I don't doubt that this whole thing was pulled of Brown's you-know-what. But please remember that I am merely the messenger; I'm not advocating for this or promoting any of it as good idea. Your responses are a bit strong.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Otherwise, why wouldn't significant investment be made by companies up and down 95 and down 40 towards Wilmington? The infrastructure is there. Why aren't 64 and 264 between Raleigh and 95 already booming?
Because there's nothing but one-horse towns on 64 & 264 between the Triangle and I-95. Rocky Mount, Wilson and (although east of I-95) Greenville are the ones that benefit the most on those two corridors and a big reason why US-64 became Future I-87 and US-264 between Zebulon & Greenville became Future I-587. There are plans in Wilson for a new 830-acre industrial park on NC-58 near the 264 interchange, along with CSX building a new terminal in Rocky Mount.

Enviva recently built a new wood pellet manufacturing plant in Sampson County on the US-117 Connector (Future I-795), just off of I-40 at Exit 355.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that this whole thing was pulled of Brown's you-know-what. But please remember that I am merely the messenger; I'm not advocating for this or promoting any of it as good idea. Your responses are a bit strong.
Brown is also the the same guy that wanted to redistribute the sales tax revenue, IIRC.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

326 posts, read 384,943 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if the response came off as a bit strong--it wasn't meant to be at all. I just found it comical that rural Chatham county made up of mostly farmland was on the same list with the likes of Mecklenburg and Wake counties.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry if the response came off as a bit strong--it wasn't meant to be at all. I just found it comical that rural Chatham county made up of mostly farmland was on the same list with the likes of Mecklenburg and Wake counties.
No prob, just felt like I was being depicted as a supporter of this nonsense. I would guess (hope?) that poor Chatham just happened to meet the criteria Brown put together to make sure he could justify "punishing" Wake, Durham and Mecklenburg.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Yes. We do not need more of these overpaid people screwing up our infrastructure when companies are bribed to relocate to an area that will be negatively affected.

No new roads should be built to encourage long commutes and proper impact fees need to be collected to build schools. etc.

These new people are a detriment to our area and should be discouraged from migrating here.
I'm from here, but I'm also not OVERPAID.

I'm worth every cent.

So is my spouse, who is NOT from here originally.

I had no idea that your specialty was market wage calculation, man.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Funny thing is the same yokels that want to pass this law, also want to pass a law stopping cities from assessing impact fees (yes, many already do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary