Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:04 PM

46 posts, read 131,742 times

Advertisements

Drivers who have the GREEN light have the right of way. The creation of the right on red rule was approved for those times when a vehicle is turning right and no one is in the 'thru' traffic lane who has the green light. Why is this activity so difficult to live with? Are you that selfish, are you in that much of a hurry? Law enforcement has indicated that many accidents occur because of the drivers who think "right on red" means to turn right anytime they want, even if a vehicle is approaching and is IN the intersection . Good Grief!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,698,825 times
An important distinction here would be if the person making the left turn had a solid green arrow and/or that oncoming thru traffic definitely has a solid red light. Else there's a chance that there's solid greens (non-dedicated green arrows) on both sides. I'm not doubting you, just highlighting that condition as I've seen what you're talking about.

Pretty much people are impatient and a lot of them shouldn't be driving.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,759,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
An important distinction here would be if the person making the left turn had a solid green arrow and/or that oncoming thru traffic definitely has a solid red light. Else there's a chance that there's solid greens (non-dedicated green arrows) on both sides. I'm not doubting you, just highlighting that condition as I've seen what you're talking about.

Pretty much people are impatient and a lot of them shouldn't be driving.
I think she is addressing RIGHT ON RED

Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 PM

683 posts, read 1,876,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanadonna View Post
Law enforcement has indicated that many accidents occur because of the drivers who think "right on red" means to turn right anytime they want, even if a vehicle is approaching and is IN the intersection .
Seriously? I've never heard anything like that before. Can you share a source?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,113,072 times
did you have your left turn signal on? That I can agree with 100%. Or was your direction all green, but the opposite direction was still red because there was a turn lane and you were in it?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 PM

22,634 posts, read 36,593,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
Seriously? I've never heard anything like that before. Can you share a source?
I'm not in law enforcement but I handle auto claims and have handled many, many "right on red" accidents and it's always a combo of disheartening and amusing when people make a right on red and think the person with the green should have stopped/moved over/avoided the accident. Nope. You have a red light. End of story.

It also causes accidents that happen like this (these are actually more common):

You're stopped at a red light. The car in front of you is stopped at the red light. You're both making right turns. You are watching oncoming traffic with the green and you decide it's time to go....so you go. But the person in front of you has not gone, for whatever reason. You hit them in the rear. Happens all.the.time.

I am teaching my kids to drive. I have a lot of rules. But two of them are
-you don't drive where you aren't looking (see above - don't bother looking to make a right on red if the person in front of you is still sitting there).
-no one is REQUIRED to make a right on red - so don't bother looking till you see the person in front of you go (see above) and if they choose not to go - that's life. The person who is first in line can also see better than you can what is going on in the intersection and may KNOW more than you do about it (green turn arrows, pedestrian activity, etc).

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,113,072 times
If we're talking perpendicular traffic that folks aren't yielding to, that's patently obvious.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,216,055 times
There's a lot of people that swear that you have the right of way turning right into the right lane of a two-lane road since the people coming from the other direction can turn into the left lane. While you're supposed to keep right when turning, that doesn't mean you have right of way at a red light when the people across from you have a green arrow.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,859,752 times
...if there is more than one lane

I'm with twingles with the no one is REQUIRED to make a right on red, even though I sometimes feel pressured to

Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,863,970 times
My complaint about right on red is that people here don't understand that unless other wise posted you can take the dang turn, mess pisses me off every day, people have the turn, not a car insight coming, but they'll sit there and wait for the green light and look bewildered as to why people are beeping their horns at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary