Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM

188 posts, read 150,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
trying to figure out what that has to do with the crux of the issue of whether age should be protected...

Ok, go ahead and have a seat and let your heart rate rest a little, because we don't want you getting your hoodie in a twist and throwing your smartphone against the wall or anything, but they have things like senior citizens discounts that you cannot get until a certain age. The same goes with social security. The same goes for things like eligibility for certain annuity payouts and other benefits, etc. All of this is age discrimination and it's been happening right under your nose. I guess they figure that getting old sucks badly enough that it might be nice to reward the golden oldies with a little comfort in the later years. I know, I know... horrors right?

Sounds to me like you need to launch a new Twitter hashtag in protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 03:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,760,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Ok, go ahead and have a seat and let your heart rate rest a little, because we don't want you getting your hoodie in a twist and throwing your smartphone against the wall or anything, but they have things like senior citizens discounts that you cannot get until a certain age. The same goes with social security. The same goes for things like eligibility for certain annuity payouts and other benefits, etc. All of this is age discrimination and it's been happening right under your nose. I guess they figure that getting old sucks badly enough that it might be nice to reward the golden oldies with a little comfort in the later years. A horror I know.

Sounds to me like you need to launch a new Twitter hashtag in protest.
STOP IT !!! This guy might create a big fuss and we could lose our Harrie-Teeter Thursday 5% senior citizen discount

Old 04-22-2017, 03:11 PM

188 posts, read 150,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
STOP IT !!! This guy might create a big fuss and we could lose our Harrie-Teeter Thursday 5% senior citizen discount
I wish they would segment off a portion of all the grocery stores that is 55+ restricted to even enter the area. The basic idea would be the same as the subdivisions -- limit exposure to someone else's screaming brats.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,245,108 times
Don't some of these 55+ communities get a tax break because they promise not to add kids to the school system?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,141 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Don't some of these 55+ communities get a tax break because they promise not to add kids to the school system?
I've never put a kid in school anywhere, and I have never expected a tax break for that.

"Greater Good," and all that rot, donchaknow?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,969,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
That would surprise me and I would love to know if it is true. How would they justify that when individuals do not (and should not) get a tax break.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,969,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Harrie-Teeter

Old 04-22-2017, 04:36 PM

173 posts, read 192,076 times
Real estate is involved? You can expect almost anything by way of deal to bring a 55+ community in, I think. 5% off a new tax base of over a thousand homes is nothing. Developers also end up doing a lot of road and sewer work for communities to defray the impact they make on the infrastructure.

(I think, but could be wrong, that our 55+'s developer is building a "free" fire/EMT rescue station for the City somewhere nearby and REAL close to us, on property they donated. Not sure if any of the other developers are chipping in.)

Old 04-22-2017, 04:36 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,791,121 times
I swear, I am getting deja vu reading this. I swear I've read this same exact thread, maybe not about that specific community and read most of these answers. LOL

Old 04-22-2017, 04:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,542,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
There are a lot of 55+ communities in North Carolina and across the nation. They are legal. Having said that, I am surprised how expensive these homes are, considering they are out in Johnston County. Also, it seems foolish that that the homes are two-story. Who wants a two-story home as they age?
Who wants to live where there are no children. I find the entire idea depressing but we have friends who live in Sun City, South Carolina.

http://www.oursuncitycarolinalakes.n...2fdefault.aspx

I understand they have a special gate that allows them to drive to Harris Teeter on their golf carts. And Harris Teeter has special golf cart parking spaces. lol

I will never forget being with a sales agent in a similar community when the ambulance sounded and his remark was "That could be another house available soon." Do people ever think before they sign up for a place like this?

Last edited by NCN; 04-22-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary