Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,873,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just compliance with civil rights requirements.
that's definitely an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 04:35 PM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
that's definitely an issue.
No. There is no issue. 55+ is a proven, popular, successful concept.

One guy has an attitude, opinion, or theory.
That doesn't create an "issue."

Go to court with your concept of an "issue." Tell us how you make out.
I have a prediction, and it doesn't include the prospect of the streets of Carolina Arbors filling up with teenagers.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 AM

3,375 posts, read 7,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
my boomer sibling class sizes were TWICE the size of mine
Yep. This sort of thing happened in my town, too. I'm older Gen-X and as a junior my high school went from being a 2 year (11/12) school to being a 4 year (9-12) school because the Boomer spike gave way to the huge drop with the Gen X generation. We are to the point where we should soon see the number of people that hit 55 each year start to drop off. That has to have some impact in lower demand. How that plays out, I don't know, but it is something I'd spend a lot of time looking into if I was enticed by one of these neighborhoods to the point of considering an investment.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:16 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,585,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Yep. This sort of thing happened in my town, too. I'm older Gen-X and as a junior my high school went from being a 2 year (11/12) school to being a 4 year (9-12) school because the Boomer spike gave way to the huge drop with the Gen X generation. We are to the point where we should soon see the number of people that hit 55 each year start to drop off. That has to have some impact in lower demand. How that plays out, I don't know, but it is something I'd spend a lot of time looking into if I was enticed by one of these neighborhoods to the point of considering an investment.
Where I came from it was the opposite. It was hard to keep up with the growing population in the schools.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:08 AM

678 posts, read 732,353 times
I don't have a problem with the "Old People Projects", it's great to have a space without screaming kids, and bored teens breaking stuff. The 55+ buildings also seem to be in better shape and maintained than the section 8 housing areas

Old 04-24-2017, 10:23 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,373,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Who wants to live where there are no children. I find the entire idea depressing but we have friends who live in Sun City, South Carolina.
As a mid-30's childfree people, my husband and I have sometimes considered what we'd do if there were childfree neighborhoods to choose from for people our age. It's not that we don't like children, but others in the thread have listed quite a few reasons why it could be nice to live somewhere without quite so many. Same reasons I wouldn't want to live in a lot of apartment complexes in Raleigh that are aimed at students. I'm glad they're there, but it's not our speed.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 AM

3,375 posts, read 7,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Where I came from it was the opposite. It was hard to keep up with the growing population in the schools.
Where did you come from and where did you fall on the baby boom -> gen x population curve?
Some areas grew at a pace that, of course, offset the drop off caused by the decline in birth rates. My area was seeing slow growth around the time the population shifted, and the schools contracted as a result (which ironically led to things like trailers in the schools that remained, at least in the transition years for the older gen x-ers before things bottomed out).

Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
As a mid-30's childfree people, my husband and I have sometimes considered what we'd do if there were childfree neighborhoods to choose from for people our age. It's not that we don't like children, but others in the thread have listed quite a few reasons why it could be nice to live somewhere without quite so many. Same reasons I wouldn't want to live in a lot of apartment complexes in Raleigh that are aimed at students. I'm glad they're there, but it's not our speed.
It's often luck of the draw...
You may find an appealing neighborhood, and just as you've settled in for a couple of years, houses turn over and the streets fill with kids.
We have been where we are for almost 15 years, and there is an ebb and flow to the population of school aged kids.

If you buy on a street full of 4 and 5 bedroom houses, you can pretty much assume that the residents have a need for all those rooms.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,373,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It's often luck of the draw...
You may find an appealing neighborhood, and just as you've settled in for a couple of years, houses turn over and the streets fill with kids.
We have been where we are for almost 15 years, and there is an ebb and flow to the population of school aged kids.

If you buy on a street full of 4 and 5 bedroom houses, you can pretty much assume that the residents have a need for all those rooms.
Eh, honestly living in a low-kid or kid-free neighborhood (if they existed for people our age) would probably be fairly low on the priority list behind the regular things like commute time, location, house type/style, etc. All things being equal between 2 properties we'd likely go for the low/no-kid option but it's really not that big of a deal. But it might be for some people and that's ok by me.

We like our current neighborhood and despite my previous statements, actually live directly across the street from a city park and love it. Yeah, there are lots of kids and general noise from the park (including noise from adults playing basketball and the like) but it's not a problem for us. Our 'hood has a mix of younger families, retirees, renters, etc and we all seem to get a long pretty well. The only kid-related downside I really see is that our house is apparently on one of the frequently used routes for Drivers Ed training so every now and then we'll get stuck behind some kid doing 10 mph who gets nervous at a nearby 2-way stop but it's more cute/amusing than a problem.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 PM

188 posts, read 150,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The particular peak then drop you saw in high school, from a statistical standpoint, could not possibly be applicable to ownership of a 55+ community home, because the variables involved are dramatically different.

First, population. The number of people that attend high school in the USA is certainly close to 100%. If we say home ownership rate is about 65%, about 30% of that group are over 55 years old, which immediately reduces our total. Then, because there are only a few dozen known 55+ communities in the entire state of NC (a tiny fraction of the total home inventory), the actual number of homeowners that live in a in 55+ community is surely an insignificant fraction of 1%.

Second, time duration. The duration in your school example is 2 (or 4) years, a relatively small time frame, considering to the duration of homeownership for the average homeowner is probably between 30 and 60 years. This means that cyclical fluctuations (a good example of which is shown in the chart of the article I posted earlier in the thread) will be felt more over very short time periods, much more so than they would be felt within the 30-60 year homeownership time frame.

In other words, how big a drop in boomers is felt (or a peak in any other generation for that matter) will depend primarily on the total number of people involved (for schools that's a lot -- almost everybody in fact in the case of the first couple of years of high school attendance, while a rare few, relatively speaking, in the case of 55+ community home owners), and also over what period of time the peak or drop is measured (felt more in short term than long).

None of this takes into consideration special cases, like some folks have mentioned population booms in certain cities during their school attendance could more than offset any generational effect, and I'm certain the number of 55+ communities in a place like Florida is vastly disproportionate to the rest of the USA).

Point being, it pretty much statistically impossible for the dying off of boomers to affect the demand for 55+ housing as it exists today. If we ever got to the point where everyone over 55+ was REQUIRED to live in one of these communities, it would be a different story, but that's not going to happen in any of our lifetimes, and certainly not until long after people are bemoaning the "millennial boom". They've already overtaken boomers anyway (see the link I posted earlier).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary