Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM

122 posts, read 98,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well the article DID focus around the mope with the attitude:

"...Professor Bauer asserted that the real beneficiaries of the Housing for Older Americans Act of 1995, that allows 55-plus communities to fail to provide supportive facilities and services, are the real estate developers that built and sold them. Even if communities that exclude people younger than 55 merit some exemption from fair housing laws, Professor Bauer asserted that additional protections are needed, particularly for the most vulnerable elders. He suggested reforms that could include changing the law to require that 55-plus communities to provide services that elders need, requiring developers to provide ample disclosure that these communities are not suitable for people with infirmities, requiring units to have accessibility features, and encouraging the development of naturally occurring retirement communities. These are the informal communities with high percentages of elderly who have stayed in the homes they occupied for many years that bring in needed supportive services."

Go to Carolina Arbors, Carolina Preserve, Heritage Pines, to name a few. Talk to happy and elderly residents.
There are plenty.
Tell ljd1010 that the developer did great and she did lousy with her choice. Imma makin popcorn now....

And, if one becomes incompetent, they clearly had the right to make arrangements for a guardian before onset of said incompetence.
And, we have a plethora of communities, Waltonwood, Searstone, where folks can make good decisions for lifestyle futures.
I think 55+ communities are an excellent idea! Think about how much trouble it is getting elderly people to move into a retirement home, or assisted living place. Here they are, all voluntarily moving in all by themselves, because someone had the foresight to market the retirement home/assisted living place as a 55+ community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Unfortunately, the article is incorrect.
No it's not.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yet_another_userid View Post
I think 55+ communities are an excellent idea! Think about how much trouble it is getting elderly people to move into a retirement home, or assisted living place. Here they are, all voluntarily moving in all by themselves, because someone had the foresight to market the retirement home/assisted living place as a 55+ community!
These are most certainly NOT assisted living. The only "assistance" that is usually included is cutting the lawn.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
No it's not.
Yes, it is. The article says "Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, the Fair Housing Act, prohibits age discrimination in housing."

That is an incorrect statement.

You're welcome to look for age mentioned as a protected class in the document:

http://www.fairhousingfirst.org/docu...housingact.pdf

Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yes, it is. The article says "Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, the Fair Housing Act, prohibits age discrimination in housing."

That is an incorrect statement.

You're welcome to look for age mentioned as a protected class in the document:

http://www.fairhousingfirst.org/docu...housingact.pdf

Old 04-25-2017, 09:45 PM

72 posts, read 91,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
As a mid-30's childfree people, my husband and I have sometimes considered what we'd do if there were childfree neighborhoods to choose from for people our age. It's not that we don't like children, but others in the thread have listed quite a few reasons why it could be nice to live somewhere without quite so many. Same reasons I wouldn't want to live in a lot of apartment complexes in Raleigh that are aimed at students. I'm glad they're there, but it's not our speed.
Same here: I'm mid-30s, husband is mid-40s, childfree. The most important thing we look for in a living space is lots of space between us and children. We moved out of our last house because the houses were arranged so that the kid noise on both sides came in through both the bedroom and living room. I don't see why it should be controversial to ask for recommendations for childfree neighborhoods. It's like people asking for family-friendly neighborhoods.

So, yeah, there are plenty of people who don't want to live around children. I live very close to where they're putting in the 55+ community, and I'm very glad it's age restricted. Welcome to Clayton, new 55+ neighbors!

Old 04-26-2017, 05:00 AM

122 posts, read 98,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
These are most certainly NOT assisted living. The only "assistance" that is usually included is cutting the lawn.
Still gets them out of the general population so to speak, and into an area where it's more readily noticeable if they start struggling.... retirement homes as I said. Or senior daycares. Excellent places!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yet_another_userid View Post
Still gets them out of the general population so to speak, and into an area where it's more readily noticeable if they start struggling.... retirement homes as I said. Or senior daycares. Excellent places!

I live in a small community that is not age restricted but was marketed to seniors. As a result of that marketing and the home designs, 90% of homeowners are 50+. I have several friends who live in Del Webb communities, and we considered them before purchasing our current home.

My observation is that these 55+ environments provide a place where seniors that are "struggling" often receive a great deal of assistance from their neighbors, which may help them to avoid or delay a move into assisted living

Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My observation is that these 55+ environments provide a place where seniors that are "struggling" often receive a great deal of assistance from their neighbors, which may help them to avoid or delay a move into assisted living
This is really far from anything I've observed here at Carolina Arbors. DH and I still work > 40 hours a week, both in jobs that require us to be "on the go" the entire time. My husband either runs 3-5 miles or swims a mile in the indoor poor every morning before he leaves for work. On the weekends, we walk 3-4 miles and I enjoy working out in the gym. While most of my friends (50's - 60's) here are retired, they are all extremely active - walking, biking, hiking etc etc.

Our clubhouse is busy!!! The gym is well used as are the greenways. We have a running club, a biking club as well as a hiking club. Definitely not a bunch of senior citizens needing assistance trying to delay admission to an assisted living facility.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
This is really far from anything I've observed here at Carolina Arbors. DH and I still work > 40 hours a week, both in jobs that require us to be "on the go" the entire time. My husband either runs 3-5 miles or swims a mile in the indoor poor every morning before he leaves for work. On the weekends, we walk 3-4 miles and I enjoy working out in the gym. While most of my friends (50's - 60's) here are retired, they are all extremely active - walking, biking, hiking etc etc.

Our clubhouse is busy!!! The gym is well used as are the greenways. We have a running club, a biking club as well as a hiking club. Definitely not a bunch of senior citizens needing assistance trying to delay admission to an assisted living facility.
I thinl ypu and I are saying the same thing - that these communities have little o do with nursing homes or assisted living. Go back and read he comments that I was replying to and I believe you will find we are on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary