Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 AM

15 posts, read 24,520 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to NC and have been house searching since November. We didn't find anything worth bidding on until the spring market kicked in, but since then we've bid on 5 houses. And somehow we lost all 5!

The houses have all been in North Raleigh (except one in Durham) and range from a listing price of $450-510K. We've bid an average of $30K over, offered $3000 in due diligence and $5000 earnest. But no success -- all have had multiple offers (up to 11) and we keep coming in second. I'm starting to worry that we are going to be homeless when our house in DC sells.

So two questions. Is this normal? Are others experiencing the same thing? And if not, what are others doing to be successful?!

Buying in NC has been much harder than buying in DC, which is historically a tough market. Appreciate any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,532,253 times
We had the same problem back in 2007. The market was probably similar to how it is now. We kept offering asking price and were always outbid. We finally got a house, at asking price, but it took us 9 months.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:55 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,510,473 times
Disclaimer:
Rhetorical questions to follow. Don't reveal too much of your personal stuff in public...

Is price the only reason you are losing out on your Offers?

Any other terms, such as contingent on sale of your DC house?
An unappealing closing date?
Asking for appliances that are not listed as conveying?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM

We have no contingencies, are pre-approved for well above the price of the homes, and have gone with whatever closing date the seller desires. We really are being as flexible as possible and I have no idea what else we could do.

I suggested an escalation clause which is often used in DC, but our realtor says that isn't common in this market.

Any other ideas on terms we could adjust to help?!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtwinmom View Post
We have no contingencies, are pre-approved for well above the price of the homes, and have gone with whatever closing date the seller desires. We really are being as flexible as possible and I have no idea what else we could do.

I suggested an escalation clause which is often used in DC, but our realtor says that isn't common in this market.

Escalation clause?
Your agent is right. We are strongly dissuaded from using them by NCAR and the NC Real Estate Commission.
Far too many potential issues, ethically and legally.

Otherwise, I would defer to your agent for advice.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:44 AM

Thanks, Mike. We're definitely looking to our realtor to guide us here. I'm mainly curious about whether we've had a particularly bad stretch of luck or this is what other buyers are experiencing as well.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,584,014 times
Were the winning bidders cash buyers? That can make a big difference.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:04 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,916,035 times
Sometimes I think the sellers or the selling agent already has a favored buyer in mind when they open up to receiving offers. Then they just read subsequent offers to see if they are missing something amazing. The seller does not need to take what the rest of us might consider to be the "best" offer. And a buyer can't make a formal objection since no one except the seller and selling agent possess all the details.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:04 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
If you're going up against cash buyers or people who have no house to sell, you're not going to win a bidding war. Period. Why would you? If people are matching your offer or coming close and ready to go, they are going to win the bidding war. There is just no reason to sell to someone who has a house to close on when others don't.

If that info is being given out, that's your answer.

It is a tough market though...I don't live in North Raleigh but there are no homes for sale in my neighborhood. Zero. That's pretty unusual for April.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,062,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtwinmom View Post

Are you using a VA loan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary