Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Coming from the northeast, this phenomenon of driving around cars that are stopped at a red light in order to turn right is a new one for me. Maybe the roads where I used to live were never wide enough to do that, but the first time someone drove around me at a red here was a surprise.
I think that's it - plus I now live in ITB Raleigh where the roads are older than other parts of the Triangle and thus are narrower. Might explain why I have a completely different view on this subject than other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 04:43 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
I'll bite on this one - there's a lane like this at Dillard/Walnut in Cary....and if I KNOW i'm going straight, I'll try to stick to the straight-only lane...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I try to avoid blocking the right lane if I'm going straight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I always pull up far enough to allow people behind me to turn, should that lane allow them to. That's just common sense.
I try to do the same... to hell with the "flow" ... or any perception of it.

Good on y'all for your mindfulness.

Obviously, no one's required to do it, however. And the guy was out of line, CapitalBlvd.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Northern m378 used to do the speed up thing all the time. Because people would constantly shift lanes and cut me off in order to save 0.5 seconds on their commute. Cause you know, they're far more important than I am. It was fun to not let them in - sort of like a game. What can I say - it's part of why I moved. Now I let everyone in unless they're just being an a-hat and weaving in and out of traffic making it dangerous for everyone else.

I think a lot of it is again people just being oblivious. I don't think they do it on purpose, a lot of people just subconsciously go the same speed as the people around them. It's a horrible habit and obviously one of people that don't really pay attention.
Funny as when I was commuting 'up there' I rarely saw this (there are butt-heads everywhere however).

But in Singapore, this is quite the phenomenon. There is a word in one dialect of Chinese called kiasu which translates roughly to being afraid to lose.

Drivers in Singapore are remarkably kiasu in that if you put your signal on, they will speed up to not let you in, because of course, they will lose face, and you will win. Some stray over the adjacent lane so as to block you passing them. It's very emotionally un-intelligent but pops up in everyday life events every day in everything from getting on or off elevators or escalators to opening doors to driving.

So, are we here in the US afraid of losing face? Over such petty stuff? Sheesh.

Because that is what this kind of thing is - petty.

In Japan, with driving and most everything else, people bend over backwards to give way. It's a Good Thing and everyone feels good. This is how I drive here when I can.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
I was recently thinking about this thread while I was in St. Martin. Even though the speeds are very slow in St Martin, the style of driving makes Raleigh look like the tamest ever! The few inconsiderate people are pretty small in comparison to the total number of drivers and it certainly is a pleasure to come back home with drivers that are mostly considerate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary