Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,126,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
One of the greatest attributes of business as a whole is the way it adapts. The farmers moved to the city for manufacturing jobs. When those positions became a victim of outsourcing, the economy became more service based. Now, citizens in many areas of the country are pushing for green jobs.

Areas of the county have economic turmoil when the entire regional economy is based on one industry. I just don't think that is true in the Triangle. Yes, we do have a lot of IT jobs. But, we have a vibrant medical industry, many colleges in a small radius, state jobs, and many, many other industries. Additionally, the Triangle has some great attributes that will keep people relocating here. Love it or hate it, the relocations will continue to help the Triangle's economy.

Imagine all these positive vibes from an educated gal that was laid-off from Corporate America twice before the age of 30.

On a doom and gloom note (and to be more on topic of the OP).... Isn't Yahoo a big client of Net App? Wonder if those jobs will materialize if Yahoo is sold?
I hope you are right. However, many of the new service (non Tech) jobs pay poverty level wages eg; retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 AM

403 posts, read 351,936 times
Yet another great article on the power of the Triangle economy. The experts expect near record job growth, with excellent paying jobs. Great news for us.

America's best jobs in the hottest markets | 3 | Business 2.0

Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 AM

932 posts, read 1,269,650 times
I think the triangle is better than many markets, but in my line of work (resume writing) I have seen a swing in the past 6 months or so from people who are currently employed and looking for new/higher paying opportunities to primarily people who are unemployed looking for ANY work. And this is across all industries. Tech doesn't seem to be as affected as some I have seen, but I am starting to see more of it. Healthcare seems to be strong, as I see few people in those industries unemployed.

The week after countrywide announced their layoffs I think I saw about 10 clients in the mortgage industry.

Granted, this is just what I see and interpret from my own experiences...

Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,501,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The average home isn't $500,000. It's in the 200's. The price of homes to income ratio is NOT 7:1. Let's not feed hysteria. There's enough of that already on this forum.
Read the thread, I was talking about mcmansions.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 AM

96 posts, read 477,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
Yet another great article on the power of the Triangle economy. The experts expect near record job growth, with excellent paying jobs. Great news for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post

Check out the date on this article - July 2007. Now its March 08 - a lot of things have changed since then. Most of the companies listed are not hiring. Just don't post the rosy articles without relevant facts.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 AM

403 posts, read 351,936 times
Data Domain starts operations in RTP

This is from last month. I call the roses as I see them. Even with a national slowdown, the Triangle is a hot spot.

StockHouse.com : Data Domain Starts Operations in Research Triangle Park N.C.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,563,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpid View Post
Check out the date on this article - July 2007. Now its March 08 - a lot of things have changed since then. Most of the companies listed are not hiring. Just don't post the rosy articles without relevant facts.
Someone before mentioned Rose Colored glasses....I belive a more fitting term would have been rose colored corneas

The Triangle has a resiliant economhy there's no doubt of that. It was able to bounce back from the '01 recession faster than a lot of other areas. But it did have to bouce BACK, because it DID take a major blow to its economy from the recession. So again, resilient yes; recession proof- no.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,633,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
city data stats are old. Money Mag(2007) has Raleigh at 70k.
If the median income for Raleigh was $70k, then I would easily qualify for some of the house purchase programs for lower income buyers under the 60% of AMI for a single buyer rule; however, I most definitely do not. It seems as though the 2008 Area Median Income that these programs are using is closer to $52,000.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,044,842 times
We could all post anecdotes that seem to prove one theory or another. For instance, I know of a software company in the area that recently closed its doors. That could be used as a sign that we're in a downturn. But then again, I know of two other companies in the area that develop the same type of software which are both growing and hiring right now.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,703,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Someone before mentioned Rose Colored glasses....I belive a more fitting term would have been rose colored corneas

The Triangle has a resiliant economhy there's no doubt of that. It was able to bounce back from the '01 recession faster than a lot of other areas. But it did have to bouce BACK, because it DID take a major blow to its economy from the recession. So again, resilient yes; recession proof- no.
Absolutely. I would like to know how many people who are claiming that the Triangle is recession-proof were actually living here during the last recession? If you don't remember a time when Nortel, Cisco, Ericsson, IBM, Glaxo, and even Duke Hospitals were laying people off by the hundreds each, you lack the proper perspective to understand what could happen in the current recession.

And recently in the news - Ericsson to cut 4,000 jobs - Triangle Business Journal:. Watch for news about them moving at least part of their operation out of the Triangle in the next few months as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary