Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

I had to read this three times - what a bizarre and ridiculous story:

Good Samaritan: 'I was doing the right thing, and it turned out bad for me' :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I had to read this three times - what a bizarre and ridiculous story:

Good Samaritan: 'I was doing the right thing, and it turned out bad for me' :: WRAL.com
Why would an intoxicated passenger flee?

Bizarro.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:00 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
That is crazy. I wonder what she was thinking?

My car with push button start won't start unless the key is IN the car.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why would an intoxicated passenger flee?

Bizarro.
My first guess is they had something illegal on them?

Second guess it was just a panicked "oh crap this is a really bad situation" moment.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:57 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
This sounds like one of the stories they'd run on "Did it happen in Florida!" segments on the bobby bones show.

Except it would be the wrong guess...because it happened in NC.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
My first guess is they had something illegal on them?

Second guess it was just a panicked "oh crap this is a really bad situation" moment.
Really weird that she was a nurse and not even bothering to check and see if everyone was okay. She must have been plastered.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That is crazy. I wonder what she was thinking?

My car with push button start won't start unless the key is IN the car.
Neither will mine. I'm glad!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 AM

I don't understand push-to-start at all. It's such a huge security hole, there's already signal scanners that people can use to start your car. It's also annoying, the car constantly beeps at me if I'm too far away, or if I took the keys out while it's running ,etc.

Why is it so hard to put a key in and turn it? Ugh sometimes technology is annoying.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 AM

188 posts, read 151,626 times
Quote:
I don't understand push-to-start at all. It's such a huge security hole, there's already signal scanners that people can use to start your car. It's also annoying, the car constantly beeps at me if I'm too far away, or if I took the keys out while it's running ,etc. Why is it so hard to put a key in and turn it? Ugh sometimes technology is annoying.
Curious if you've owned a car with it yet? I ask because everyone I know that has owned one for more than a month or so cannot fathom the thought of buying a car without it.

It's not "hard" to put a key in per se, but it wasn't hard to drive in a car without A/C back in the days when they didn't have it either. It's just a technology upgrade that's becoming the norm.

The disadvantage of a key is that if it's on any kind of key chain (usually), it can knock against the steering column making annoying rattling noises and scratching the finish over time. Also, carrying a physical key on a key chain of any kind tends to take up more space in pockets for guys, or requires females to fumble around in their purse for them (can potentially even be a night time safety risk for them). Cars with push-to-start usually just unlock when someone touches the door whenever the key fob is detected within a few feet, so its incredibly convenient when the car just "knows" that its owner is nearby and acts accordingly, no need to dig things in and out of pockets or purses, just open the door and push to start when needed. Push to start doesn't increase the security risk, and all security mechanisms can be defeated (particularly physical key locks).

Yes, it's a bit annoying if you happen to be the .000000001% of the population that encounters a nutty drunk nurse that steals your wheels on the very night you decide to help an accident victim , but for everyone else it is a must have once you've gotten used to the benefits.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Curious if you've owned a car with it yet? I ask because everyone I know that has owned one for more than a month or so cannot fathom the thought of buying a car without it.

It's not "hard" to put a key in per se, but it wasn't hard to drive in a car without A/C back in the days when they didn't have it either. It's just a technology upgrade that's becoming the norm.

The disadvantage of a key is that if it's on any kind of key chain (usually), it can knock against the steering column making annoying rattling noises and scratching the finish over time. Also, carrying a physical key on a key chain of any kind tends to take up more space in pockets for guys, or requires females to fumble around in their purse for them (can potentially even be a night time safety risk for them). Cars with push-to-start usually just unlock when someone touches the door whenever the key fob is detected within a few feet, so its incredibly convenient when the car just "knows" that its owner is nearby and acts accordingly, no need to dig things in and out of pockets or purses, just open the door and push to start when needed. Push to start doesn't increase the security risk, and all security mechanisms can be defeated (particularly physical key locks).

Yes, it's a bit annoying if you happen to be the .000000001% of the population that encounters a nutty drunk nurse on the very night you decide to help an accident victim , but for everyone else it is a must have once you've gotten used to the benefits.
No I just made up those things I posted above :P

Yes we have push-to-start cars. Yes I guess I'm in the apparent minority that hates them.

Modern physical keys that fold in take no more space than a push-to-start FOB. I have never ever been annoyed by keys knocking against the steering column.

Since my wife doesn't have the "need" to find her keys before leaving to get in the car, we're constantly getting in the car and realizing that my wife left her keys inside.

They're an ENORMOUS security hole. There was a story on 60-minutes or something that showed people using devices to simply steal your car in seconds. At least with a key it's a little more complicated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary