Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM

144 posts, read 495,503 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We looked around in ther Penny road area houses and they are gorgeous. The concern we have is the private sewerage/ well in those areas. I have heard of stories of either well running out or well contaminated. What kind of price would it be to maintian a well, how much would it cost to redrill a well?. (if contaminated).

If private sewerage drains in the vicinity of your water supply would that cause any issues. Are there any problems in this area (whether specific to this topic or in general).

Also the people live there seem to be very passionate about the area. Spoke to a few and found out interesting details about Cary Annexing and how much they hate it. IM me if you need any further info.

Thanks for the help
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
Are these community wells, or private wells? The area where you are speaking of (Swift Creek watershed) is protected from major development because the water flows into Lake Wheeler, Lake Benson, and eventually a new Raleigh water treatment plant that they are building. We live at the south east tip of this area. We have a well that services our whole subdivision. So far no problems and we've lived there for 9 months.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:11 PM

144 posts, read 495,503 times
Some houses had private wells (pricey ones) some had community wells.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM

932 posts, read 1,264,768 times
This is our second house with a well and septic, and we've never had any problems. Well- lighting struck it once and shorted a wire- cheap fix.

never had a septic problem, but we watch what we flush or send down the drains and a few times a year use something like rid-x. i think they say to do it every month, but 3 or 4 times a year seems to do us well and I see no reason to do it more if it seems to be working fine.

I think you are supposed to have the septic pumped every however many years, but I'm not sure of the time frame. We sold our other house before it needed to be done, and will probably sell this one before this one needs to be done.....so I can't help you on cost. I know its not *that* bad though- a neighbor told me once and it didnt seem bad- maybe $100?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,083 times
We just bought a house in the area you are talking about that has a private well and septic system. One thing I'd encourage you to do is pay to have both tested when you do your inspections. Our inspector didn't point this out to us and we found about it after it was too late to do anything. We went ahead and had them both tested, but we couldn't require the seller to fix anything. Everything in our case was fine except for a distribution box that they said would need to be replaced eventually for about $600.

You are supposed to have your septic system pumped and inspected every 3-4 years I believe. Actually, probably not bad to have it inspected annually, but pumping is 3-4 years. We had ours pumped. If you look at how they work, it will make sense why you need to do this periodically. The more non-biodegradable stuff you put down the drain, the more often you'll need to have it done.

I can't say how much it would cost to have a well re-drilled, but I don't think in that area there have been a lot of problems in the past with this happening.

There are pros and cons to well/sewer vs. town systems.

With the town systems you don't have to pay for any repair costs, but you are paying to use them constantly. With your own systems, you pay nothing for water or sewer on a regular basis and would only need to pay if something broke. If you take care of the system, then it should last a long time. The septic portion has no moving parts so if you take care of it, it should pretty much last a lifetime. With a well, eventually your pump or tank may go. As far a potential re-drilling, I don't think the wells in that area are that deep, and drilling cost is effected by depth.

On the positive side, if you have your own system then the only restrictions are the ones you put on yourself. Obviously you wouldn't want to go crazy with water usage in a drought, but no one is going to swoop in an fine you if you decide to wash your car once a year.

With a generator, you could be totally self sufficient and impervious to power outages and such if you have your own well and septic.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
This is our third house on well and septic. The first one was built without code enforcement and many homes in the neighborhood had problems. The others were properly built to code and work fine. $300 every three years to pump the septic here. One well pump replaced due to lightning strike, one pressure tank bladder leak.
We did have some prospective buyers turn away, but heck, the whole township was on septic!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,533,173 times
Our well has super low CFM and we still never have an issue with running out of water.

IF you need a new well drilled, you're looking at around $5k.

If you use a septic correctly and avoid putting too many solids down the drain, you might never need to pump it. Really depends on how much you put down it.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:33 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
Nine and a half year old thread folks.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:46 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandy View Post
<>If private sewerage drains in the vicinity of your water supply would that cause any issues.<>
Properly designed septic tank systems with a (poorly named) drainfield do not drain liquid water. The Tank contents settle and are treated biologically, and the liquid is moved by gravity or a pump to the drainfield where it is distributed underground and eventually evaporates. Any visible liquid or noticeable smell is an indicator of a problem.
There is a regulated distance between well and septic system.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,533,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Nine and a half year old thread folks.
dang! got me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary