Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,336,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
In terms of mileage for sure but what about actual roadways designated interstates.
Texas has the most miles of interstate. NY has the most interstate highway designations. NC isn't in the top 5 of either. You lose the bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM

7,186 posts, read 6,771,108 times
Quote:
People have interests in trains, planes and more... you are the first person i met who lives and breathes highways ( nothing wrong with that, just peculiar).
Exaggeration much? It's not like I'm advocating throwing freeways willy-nilly all over the place. I merely suggested upgrading some of the existing ones. I don't have anything against other forms of transportation in areas where it's feasible.

I do have more important interests in life...

Old 09-18-2017, 07:45 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,391,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Exaggeration much? It's not like I'm advocating throwing freeways willy-nilly all over the place. I merely suggested upgrading some of the existing ones. I don't have anything against other forms of transportation in areas where it's feasible.

I do have more important interests in life...
Yeah, im sure you do. How many wrecks happen on 64? It does get tight in the mornings occasionally.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 AM

7,186 posts, read 6,771,108 times
Quote:
How many wrecks happen on 64? It does get tight in the mornings occasionally.
I never drove US-64 that much east of Zebulon, so I can't say firsthand. The majority of my commutes were on US-264, US-70, I-795 and US-117.

However, this recent feasibility study for US-64 between Rolesville Road east of Knightdale and Williamston contains crash data as well as traffic counts.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2017.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 09-18-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 09:34 PM

768 posts, read 616,481 times
I'm sure history plays a part. Back then, Raleigh wasn't that big of a city, so I suppose there wasn't a reason for a major interstate. In addition, Raleigh might be a little too far inland for I-95. Most stretches of I-95 are close to the coast, in general. In a way, it would be nice for Raleigh to have that connection, but it might be for the best that it never happened. Raleigh seems to be doing fine without it.

It is a little annoying if you want to reach Virginia or areas further north, though. You would think there would be a better route from Raleigh to Richmond, but I-40 gives Raleigh a stronger connection to areas further west (Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, etc.) and areas further south (Wilmington). On the contrary, I-85 from Durham is better if you want to reach Virginia or the northern part of the state (Oxford, etc.).

Old 02-24-2021, 04:01 PM

The weird thing about I-85 is that it ends (or begins) in Petersburg and not Richmond. You'd think I-85 would connect Durham with Richmond proper, although I know that Petersburg and Richmond are only 20 miles apart and I suppose it's close enough.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:48 PM

18 posts, read 15,454 times
Interestingly, there's a historical reason for I-85 terminating in Petersburg. The highway that is now I-95 between Richmond and Petersburg was originally built as the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike back before the interstate highway system was established. So the interstate planners decided there was no reason not to just reuse that (just like the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a bunch of other pre-interstate freeways). Connecting I-85 to the southern portion of the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike was an easy way to terminate I-85.

Fun fact: That last couple miles of I-85 in Petersburg where the grass median disappears and the highway suddenly becomes much curvier? That's an old stretch of the R-P Turnpike.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:15 PM

4,256 posts, read 4,685,704 times
Yes, there was a tollgate on I-85 just east of US 1 until tolls were abolished in 1992.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail16 View Post
Interestingly, there's a historical reason for I-85 terminating in Petersburg. The highway that is now I-95 between Richmond and Petersburg was originally built as the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike back before the interstate highway system was established. So the interstate planners decided there was no reason not to just reuse that (just like the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a bunch of other pre-interstate freeways). Connecting I-85 to the southern portion of the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike was an easy way to terminate I-85.

Fun fact: That last couple miles of I-85 in Petersburg where the grass median disappears and the highway suddenly becomes much curvier? That's an old stretch of the R-P Turnpike.
Interesting! It makes sense from a historical perspective, as Petersburg served as a transportation link for Southside Virginia and North Carolina, which is part of the reason why it was such an important location during the Civil War. It's crazy how the present-day highways still mirror those old routes to an extent.

Driving around Durham, you see so many signs to Petersburg via I-85 that you'd think Petersburg was a much larger town, although there isn't much between the two cities.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:36 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,920,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRAMAL View Post
Ive always wondered why these two major arteries missed the capital city. Was it the geographical location or was it "not in my backyard" politics. I also wonder what type of impact it would have had on the size and development of the city. Does anyone know why these two East Coast llifelines were built decidedly around instead of through Raleigh? This area may have rivaled Charlotte or Atlanta if it weren't so far off the beaten path.
Raleigh wouldn't be like it is if I-95 had come through it, and thankfully they said no thanks to it many years ago.

It would be a much more transient, crime-plagued stop like Henderson unfortunately has become.

Be glad Raleigh was insulated a bit from the interstate corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary