Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Again, look at the actual layout. It was a golf course. Mostly Long narrow strips of land that might work for a street and houses, not anything big, except maybe one area, but that isn’t large enough or sited well for anything like what you are saying. Plus some people don’t really want commercial so close to the or houses, especially suburban people.
The ATT is shaped like a railway line, but that doesn't stop people from using it.

It's actually not that uncommon to convert a golf course to a park:
https://www.tpl.org/blog/when-privat...avhn1831wzusp9

What shape is a park supposed to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,946 times
I have started following this with interest

I think the truth is it's all true

Monied interests probably did lobby to bail a failing course
That neighborhood probably smells blood in blocking development and being next to a great asset

And south wake does need a park

I think in perspective there probably isn't another park of such size in far flung quadrants and it probably is a boondoggle of tax payer monies

I think they should parcel it off and make a smaller portion a park instead of having a mini Dix way out in fuqay

Old 01-08-2019, 07:03 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,207,883 times
I haven't followed the issue in great detail, but I'm wondering why it has to be an "all or nothing" proposition? In other words, why couldn't the parcel(s) have been divided with some zoned for housing and some for a park?

Looking at the lot lines there are areas of the parcels that seem to be sized for development as well as a good chunk of land that could be converted to a park of some type.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 AM

It looks like in the same meeting the commissioners endorsed a different park in the region so what's the issue

Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I have started following this with interest

I think the truth is it's all true

Monied interests probably did lobby to bail a failing course
That neighborhood probably smells blood in blocking development and being next to a great asset

And south wake does need a park

I think in perspective there probably isn't another park of such size in far flung quadrants and it probably is a boondoggle of tax payer monies

I think they should parcel it off and make a smaller portion a park instead of having a mini Dix way out in fuqay
I think you are close to the truth here, except for the part about "way out in Fuquay". This property is quite a bit north of Fuquay - to give you some perspective, it's about 5 minutes from TPAWL, 15 minutes from Lochmere and 20 minutes from the beltline.

The location is actually fairly central and would be convenient for Cary, Apex, HS and FV.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
It looks like in the same meeting the commissioners endorsed a different park in the region so what's the issue
Now that location is "Way out there"!

Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there's 143 acres, and it's owned ON THE CHEAP by the County. they could certainly retain a lot (50 acres?) of the high land for an elementary/middle school site and still have a park. they could even work in affordable/subsidized housing if they want.

I just haven't seen how/why they'd need to commit 20MM more to "developing" a park.
I know. Throw some Frisbee Golf cages up, maybe a basketball hoop or a tennis court, map the cart paths as Greenway, stock the ponds with catfish and call it good.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 AM

634 posts, read 912,791 times
Here's a map of the rather tenuous segments, along with some concepts and/or proposals for the areas:

http://fuquay-varina.suburbanlivingm...p-623x1024.jpg

In my opinion (and as others have said), at the right development price this would be a good location for a walking park, something useful for those driving home after work, or for weekends with the family - maybe the southern half, below Hilltop-Needmore Road.

Sell the upper portion to their respective HOA on the cheap, for a community pool and the like.

Southern Wake County needs parks, plural.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 AM

indy actually has good articles about this
https://indyweek.com/news/wake/wake-...-resell-the-c/

Crooked Creek’s neighbors have fought that possibility for years. In 2015, they sued the defunct golf course when its owners tried to build housing on the site. Then they took their case to Wake County, showing up to public hearings in the hundreds to make their case for a park. (They dropped their lawsuit when the county bought the land.)

It seems the neighbors are acting like penultimate nimbys and refusing to let the free market play on that land to give them a tax payer subsidized park seems unfair

those residents will have privileged access to that park and just because they have covenants restricting fair economic use of the land it doesnt justify reverting to the wake county tax payer

Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Again, how many parks are shaped like a golf course? Adding acreage doesn’t tell the whole story. Where will the parking go for half of Wake Co to use it? Next thing you’d see is all the residents complain about that. I’m all for parks. But this deal stunk from the beginning as catering to a few people. Maybe they can raise the money and buy it.
I feel like you're stretching here. Why would it need parking for half of wake county, does the entire city of Raleigh show up at Yates Mill at the same time? There is already parking onsite at the existing clubhouse.

Look at the land south of Hilltop Needmore, that area alone is 17 acres (the square area if that fits your idea of a traditional park).

Exiting home owners had to release covenants for this land to be purchased. Now that the county has gone back on the original vote it's exposing us as county tax payers to a lawsuit which is going to add money to this.

A park near 401 between Fuquay and Garner is a lot easier than a proposed park on the border of Harnett County (and hasn't that land been sitting for over a decade?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary