Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 AM

39 posts, read 114,710 times

Advertisements

The Chair of the Wake County Commissioners, Sig Hutchinson, is currently soliciting constituent feedback on the idea of converting over 220 acres from the former Crooked Creek Golf Course into a park. Please go to his post and provide your opinions! https://www.facebook.com/Sig4Wake/posts/1753926224622703 Thank you!!

The southern portion of Wake County is the fastest growing area of the county and the least served by the Wake county parks system. Creating a much needed park on the former Crooked Creek golf course property (220 plus acres, off of Route 401, near the future 540 outer loop) can save Wake County millions of dollars. The park property includes varied terrain: flat, hilly, bluffs, wetlands. The property includes 5 ponds and 2 streams, 4.5 miles of paved trails, 3 restroom facilities, irrigation system throughout the property, 6 bridges, a dam, a tunnel,a community/visitor center, and a maintenance facility.

67 people a day move into Wake County. The majority of that growth is in the Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, Apex, and Cary area. 27-35 acres of open space are lost to development every day in Wake County. A new regional park can be ready by the end of the year. Additional information can be found at https://southwakeparkproject.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,944,284 times
Thank you for sharing this. I am very interested in this project.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
what's it cost to purchase/implement?

what's this about an elementary school is (already) planned on the property?

Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 AM

I'm not privy to the current negotiated cost. Myunderstanding is that the golf course owners have entered into a contract withthe national environmental nonprofit Conservation Fund. The Conservation Fundwould purchase the property and then sell it to Wake County over several years.My understanding is that there is a due diligence period to late July by which,if the County agrees, then the deal would go forward, but if not, then theowners would pursue other development options.

My understanding is that the county is already consideringpurchasing 21 acres of the property (along Hilltop Needmore Rd) to build a newelementary school. This acreage is also on land that formerly comprised thegolf course.

Crooked Creek: Residents to hold stroller walk at Fuquay-Varina golf course Saturday | News & Observer

Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Good, informative living in Suburban Living magazine:

The Birth of a Park By Lynanne Fowle | Suburban Living Magazine

Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 AM

BTW, Commissioner Hutchinson posted this morning in the Park-related Facebook post:"Thanks everyone for your comments and to date, we've had 660 comments, 163 shares and over 500 likes. Wow! As a result, Commission Vice Chair Matt Calabria and I will be meeting with representatives next week to discuss possible partnerships and see if we can make this a reality. Thanks so much for your comments and support!!! Sig ��������*♀️����"

Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 3,573,191 times
I wonder what the existing residents think of it?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I have yet to meet a Crooked Creek resident who isn't enthusiastic about this park. While many have mourned the fate of the golf course, most seem to see a county park as far preferable to significant additional development.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,984,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post

I'm sure they'd be ecstatic, it would be quite a windfall for them, both financially and environmentally. Last I heard there were a small number of residents still trying to force a golf course on the property via the courts - if this does not get resolved then the whole deal with the park falls through. But not sure the latest on this.

I walked the park a few weeks back and it surely would be amazing. But when the county can barely fund the school system, it's hard to see where the money would come from. Perhaps a bond issue?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM

In August, a NC superior court judge issued summaryjudgment in favor of the golf course who were sued by residents wanting to keepthe course open, which gave the owners a green light to develop the property ifan appeal wasn’t filed. Eventually thatdecision was appealed, and is pending on appeal. However, I believe that, should the contractbetween the golf course owners and Conservation Fund continue past its duediligence period at the end of July, the resident litigants will agree towithdraw the appeal as part of the global agreement.

Some fundraising has occurred, and the Clean WaterManagement Fund is providing a $500,000 grant because the proposed parkprovides protection for the Middle Creek watershed. Additionally, the Triangle GreenwayAssociation would donate and additional 80 acres of land to bring the totalacreage to 300 acres. Commissioner chair Sig Hutchinson indicatedthat he and Vice Chair Matt Calabria will be meeting with representatives thisweek to discuss possible partnerships to see if Wake County can make the park areality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary