Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:51 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times

Advertisements

Restaurant cannot survive without the customers. How frequently would y'all actually eat at the ethnic establishments even if they were available? E.g. once we went to Ethiopean place in Cary. Good food, good service but I doubt we'll go there more than once a year.

At least 2 German places closed before we got a chance to visit them. My husband does not eat meat, so he'd be limited to overpriced potato pancakes there. And I can make them even better at home.

We went to Clara's once and it was just average IMHO. There is really nothing special about European food that one couldn't make at home. Asian food, on the other hand, needs special spices or preparations that I wouldn't really want to invest in. Some kind of pan-European dumplings anyone can make with what they most likely already have in the pantry.

There is simply not enough customers who would support such diversity with the frequency that would make it sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Restaurant cannot survive without the customers. How frequently would y'all actually eat at the ethnic establishments even if they were available? E.g. once we went to Ethiopean place in Cary. Good food, good service but I doubt we'll go there more than once a year.

At least 2 German places closed before we got a chance to visit them. My husband does not eat meat, so he'd be limited to overpriced potato pancakes there. And I can make them even better at home.

We went to Clara's once and it was just average IMHO. There is really nothing special about European food that one couldn't make at home. Asian food, on the other hand, needs special spices or preparations that I wouldn't really want to invest in. Some kind of pan-European dumplings anyone can make with what they most likely already have in the pantry.

There is simply not enough customers who would support such diversity with the frequency that would make it sustainable.
I agree, I also think the Triangle is largely suburban and spread out so it makes it harder for some of these restaurants to survive without a constant stream of business. As the density increases in downtown Raleigh, more options may arise there!!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
As someone who is referred to by my friends/coworkers as a "foodie", I think there are a bunch of good options in the Triangle for the size and density of the area. There are only a handful or less of each cuisine but that option at the very least exists if you are willing to drive 20-30 minutes for it. That being said, it'll get better as the population continues to grow and businesses can get a steady stream of customers for different ethnic cuisine if we continue to attract a diverse crowd (usually in the IT/Tech/Medical fields)

Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
At least we have a Brazilian steakhouse...

Old 06-16-2017, 10:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Shoot, I and my crowd go to ethnic restaurants all the time! I'm not a huge meat eater but I'm pretty much game for anything except maybe sheep eyeballs or something.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Authentic Japanese? Where? I haven't found such a thing but admittedly I stopped looking more than 5 years ago.

Hint: if the sushi menu has any expensive/gimmicky rolls on the list, then it isn't authentic.
Dunno how authentic it is, but Hayashi in Wake Forest is about as taste-bud-pleasing as I've had.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Agree with the OP. There isn't much diversity. As far as the foodie scene, it feels like one place opens with a decent concept and then several more follow suit.

I also agree that Durham is handling the food scene much better than Raleigh.

Of course, I'm just back from Seattle where much food was consumed. So, I may be a bit jaded being back in realty.

I love the gems that Raleigh possesses but we need more!!!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Why don't you do a phone survey or a City-Data survey of the favorite type foods people in your area enjoy. That might give you a clue as to why the selection is less diverse or you may find a wonderful new market idea to start a business.

I live in the country about four hours from Raleigh. I had my favorite meal yesterday and leftovers from it today. Roast beef seasoned with salt and pepper only, biscuits, carrots, baked beans, and slaw. Coffee and half and half to drink and ice cream for dessert.

Sometimes we eat different vegetables with this meal but didn't have them on hand right now; potatoes baked in the same pan as the roast, then green beans with chopped onions, chopped cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, chopped pickles and chopped cantaloupe mixed with the green beans that were seasoned with butter. I call it a green bean salad.

I like good country eating. I am really not into strange foods. Most of the restaurants with diverse foods mentioned on this thread would go broke if they depended on me for income.

Last edited by NCN; 06-18-2017 at 09:19 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why don't you do a phone survey or a City-Data survey of the favorite type foods people in your area enjoy. That might give you a clue as to why the selection is less diverse or you may find a wonderful new market idea to start a business.
No need. Just gotta get over this and stop trying to compare Raleigh to Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I like good country eating. I am really not into strange foods. Most of the restaurants with diverse foods mentioned on this thread would go broke if they depended on me for income.
Yea it's no mystery as to why Bunn doesn't have an Indian restaurant but pretty much all of my country friends would agree with you. I can depend on the country for a killer breakfast and good BBQ BTW

Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
My parents are foodies who have travelled the world. They live in Charlotte and LOVE coming to Raleigh to eat. Not because we are better (or worse) than Charlotte, but because we have different options. Te biggest stand-out that comes to mind is Bida Manda (Laotian), but there are many (!) good and unique places in the triangle, and in Raleigh-proper to eat.

And what is this nonsense about "no tapas" in Raleigh. GF and I get small-plates everywhere we go, and we share. Tapas is the word for "small plates", and MANY (!!!!) restaurants have special places in their menu for small plates.

Better to be less hung up on the labels and current trends, and more focused on the food. I love going out to eat in Raleigh and the greater triangle area. (And especially Cary, since I'm on a rant....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary