Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,844,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I paid a guy $200 to dig 30" deep with a trencher. It took him 30 minutes to dig 100' in a circle.
If I to pay someone to bring in a trencher, I would choose a different plant. There are plenty of other choices that make a nice screen that are much easier to install and maintain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:04 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,945,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I paid a guy $200 to dig 30" deep with a trencher. It took him 30 minutes to dig 100' in a circle.

Glad you are so negative about something you probably have zero experience with. I'm guessing you saw some wild bamboo or heard some horror stories?

Bamboo if left unattended will spread like crazy, that is a fact.

Properly contained bamboo makes an excellent privacy screen and will not spread. That is a fact.

My bamboo is properly contained, therefor it will not spread. If I don't want to maintain a sand trap, I can remove the sand and put the rhizome barrier in it's place and then there will be ZERO maintenance to the bamboo grove. I chose to have the sand trap for good drainage.

The company I linked above can plant or remove bamboo. If the next owner doesn't want it they can pay to have it removed. The cost would be about $1,000. Or they can do it themselves over a weekend. Take a deep breath and relax, my bamboo is perfectly fine. I'm glad you're so concerned over it though
I moved into a large property where the owners planted bamboo in one spot many years ago. Now there are about 10000 sq ft. Constant headache. I also see other properties that were abandoned by land speculators, where running bamboo covers much more than an acre, running up to the edge of the highway and sneaking over to neighbor properties. So yes, "horror" stories.

Those of us who express ourselves about bamboo are probably more aware that the average guy. I love the looks of bamboo and the ability of it to provide privacy. However I am very high on "stewardship" such that if you plant it, knowing how invasive it can be, you should be responsible for it forever. And if you pass that responsibility to someone else you need to ensure that they are prepared. That is why many bamboo lovers select a clumping bamboo. But, to be fair, some areas of the country are more difficult than others.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,411,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If I to pay someone to bring in a trencher, I would choose a different plant. There are plenty of other choices that make a nice screen that are much easier to install and maintain.
Could you tell me what grows 25' in a year that isn't bamboo, and stays green all year? 10' green giants would have cost 5x the amount I paid (including the barrier and trenching) and they would have taken years to reach the height I want. Also bamboo is way better looking to me.

To install bamboo you dig a hole, put in the plant, mixed fertilizer/dirt and that was it. If you are referring to the rhizome barrier I paid someone to trench, so it wasn't hard on me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I moved into a large property where the owners planted bamboo in one spot many years ago. Now there are about 10000 sq ft. Constant headache. I also see other properties that were abandoned by land speculators, where running bamboo covers much more than an acre, running up to the edge of the highway and sneaking over to neighbor properties. So yes, "horror" stories.

Those of us who express ourselves about bamboo are probably more aware that the average guy. I love the looks of bamboo and the ability of it to provide privacy. However I am very high on "stewardship" such that if you plant it, knowing how invasive it can be, you should be responsible for it forever. And if you pass that responsibility to someone else you need to ensure that they are prepared. That is why many bamboo lovers select a clumping bamboo. But, to be fair, some areas of the country are more difficult than others.
As I have stated several times I have taken the proper precautions to plant and maintain the bamboo. If the next owner doesn't want it they can remove it. Or finish the rhizome barrier and it will never escape. I'm sorry you are having a hard time with bamboo that was never properly enclosed but it's not my problem.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 9,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is there an HOA?

No HOA in the neighborhood.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Is she from NY?

I say this because this is such a huge problem for people around my area. When you're packed into your tiny lots, people will defend their territory pretty aggressively. Do a search on the CD Long Island forum, I'm sure there's tons of topics about encroaching plants and trees, people parking on front of their houses, etc.

I'd just trim what's on my side if necessary, and get more involved with the town/HOA rules if the blind spot becomes a safety hazard. She doesn't sound very open to compromise.
No NY, but Chicago basically the same thing.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I was only asking because in a close driveway situation, Leylands seem an odd choice. You could go with other types of Arborvitae that are thinner and make a better border in that situation.
Yeah I totally agree. I guess they just want to encroach on our property. I may call the town to see if I can do anything.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 PM

22,618 posts, read 36,555,922 times
Asking the town is the best bet, there may be an ordinance about privacy screens that go right to the street. A solid fence would not be allowed so a row of tall bushes usually falls in the same category.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Asking the town is the best bet, there may be an ordinance about privacy screens that go right to the street. A solid fence would not be allowed so a row of tall bushes usually falls in the same category.
I called the Town of Cary and they said that there is a right of way ordinance just saying the 10 feet near the road should not block sight. I will have to wait until the plants are big enough to block to view for the town to do anything. The other thing I read is just to trim them early so as soon as they come over the property line.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:23 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,265,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carylover17 View Post
I called the Town of Cary and they said that there is a right of way ordinance just saying the 10 feet near the road should not block sight. I will have to wait until the plants are big enough to block to view for the town to do anything. The other thing I read is just to trim them early so as soon as they come over the property line.
If I had any affection for my neighbor, I'd probably tell them now so they could relocate the tree(s) closest to the road before they really root, so they don't lose one. But they sound like goobers so...

Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 AM

It just so happens my neighbor also took out all the mature trees on their property. Apparently they lowered their property values in the process. I'm guessing they must have sold the timber so that the removal price was low. They kept asking me for money to pay for the ones removed near my property, and I was like no, but you can remove them. I actually liked the trees near my side of the property but whatever. Here is tree benefit calculator for anyone considering removing trees from their property: National Tree Benefit Calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary