U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,118,929 times

Advertisements

We bought a trampoline several years ago. Our homeowners insurance promptly cancelled us and we were forced to go with another more expensive company. Still, we kept the trampoline and the kids really enjoyed it. My daughter would do everything from jump on it to bring out all her Polly Pocket dolls and play on it. My sons would jump on it too. When we sold the house, we stayed in it for a while and the new owner told us he couldnt' get insurance unless we got rid of it. So we sold it. My daughter still misses it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:41 PM

108 posts, read 448,140 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions.
I would never have thought about the homeowners insurance issue. better to know now than to be surprised later. I'll post what I learn from my insurance company.

I too saw trampolines in CA with a big hole underneath so the tramoline was almost at ground level I don't know if that would work here or not.

Any ideas who might have experience with installation?
Thanks again I really appreciate the advice.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM

578 posts, read 2,773,324 times
I recall reading somewhere that trampolines, pools, and dogs are the biggest insurance company issues. Keep in mind the insurance companies don't make up the rules without good reason. With that said I personally wouldn't buy a trampoline at all. If you kids want to go jump around sign them up for gymnastics and let them jump and vault on someone else's insurance and with the proper training and supervision.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM

11,772 posts, read 27,291,177 times
I must say, it never occurred to me to inform my insurance company when I purchased the trampoline. But then, I didn't tell them when I bought the new leather sofa for the den either!

I'm sure they know I have a trampoline since a few years ago, during an ice storm, a tree feel across the trampoline and they paid to have it fixed!

Vicki

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 PM

55,169 posts, read 71,991,367 times
without careful supervision very very dangerous.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 PM

2,408 posts, read 9,629,218 times
I am not sure that the fun outweighs the risks involved; especially after an acquaintance became completely paralyzed from the shoulders-down due to a trampoline accident. I realized am not without biased here.

However, each person needs to assess that risk for himself/herself and that of his/her children.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,087,426 times
Don't tell your insurance company, they will drop you in a heart beat. Happened to my son-in-laws brother last summer when they wanted to increase their coverage after finishing their basement, and the agent came by to look. Saw the trampoline in the back yard and told them their policy would not be renewed.

Should that not tell you about the wisdom of purchasing one. As a volunteer firefighter we have responded to number of accidents on trampolines. One left a child in a wheel chair for the rest of their life. Others with some serious compound fractures, to lesser injuries.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,371,277 times
Please don't buy one. Many paralyzing injuries have been reported.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 AM

108 posts, read 448,140 times
I thank you all so much. I really have a very careful mom. I think others think I'm excessively protective sometimes. Our kids don't eat junk food, watch very little television, helmets always when riding bikes. They'll never ride motor bikes.
I had never heard of the tragedies associated w/ trampolines until now. I know many responsible families have them and enjoy them. But it sounds like serious accidents can happen even with appropriate supervision. I will pass on a trampoline and again I thank you all very much for your input.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,371,277 times
You are very wise and a good Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary