Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 AM

28 posts, read 24,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Just for the record I'm not talking about break-ins. I'm talking about home-invasions where people/families were home. In some instances the victims were held up at gun point and forced to drive to get cash/goods.

I'm not denying that this is a very safe area in comparison to cities of similar population. But outside of the small urban cores, the Triangle is essentially one gigantic suburb. I grew up in a very populated area and a home invasion in the suburban areas were EXTREMELY rare - even those that bordered larger more crime-ridden cities.

We had our car rummaged through within a few months of moving here. Yes the door was unlocked. This never happened to me in 30 years prior to moving here, but yes it could be coincidence. There are a LOT of car break-ins around here, which means there are a lot of people out roaming the streets and potentially entering your property at night.

I'm really not trying to make seem like the whole Triangle is ridden with crime, but depending on where you're coming from, it may take getting used to - that's all.
Okay, but where are these locations that are more prone to crime than other locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,594,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielscars View Post
Okay, but where are these locations that are more prone to crime than other locations?
There is no specific area to speak of.
I think the majority of home invasions (and there are very few) are more a fact of culture/business. I think some families are targeted because they either keep money or jewelry in the home and someone knows about it.
Although, there was a recent break-in where the Grandma and grand-daughter were home in the middle of the night and the perpetrator was shot by police.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 AM

22 posts, read 37,088 times
Hold up. Holly Springs is not boring Cary is suburban fascist at it finest and completely disjointed. Raleigh is expensive unless you move east and south. Apex is so soccer mom it ain't even funny! Your bang for your buck plus some good activities and excellent access to Raleigh and Durham is FV (Fuquay Varina). While I live in HS I truly admire the charm of Fuquay and the direct access to Raleigh via 401 and 30 to 40 minutes to Durham via 55 and NC540 (Tolled). BTW if you like getting stuck in traffic everyday for hours then by all means look at North Raleigh and Wake Forest hell even Rolesville. Crime is not an issue anywhere in wake county but there are parts that are more susceptible. That is not uncommon in any part of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yup they are all safe. One poster mentioned how it takes two hands to count the number of break ins over 2 years...thats exceedingly safe for a town of 160,000 in a metro of 1.8 million. When I lived in Fayetteville, we had more than 20 break ins in ONE night...more than once.

OP, I wouldn't ordinarily recommend Cary to anyone but if those 3 you listed it's the, IMO, best one solely due to its proximity to Durham and Raleigh. Holly Springs is kinda far out and boring, Apex is not bad at all I like it but also a bit far from the city (for me, you might be different). Any particular reason you aren't considering Raleigh? You could probably find something you'd like in North Raleigh, West Raleigh or...NW Raleigh lol.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Crime of the day:

Police: Mother pulled daughter to safety as armed man stole car with child inside :: WRAL.com

I'm not sure if this is considered RTP - if not, just outside it.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:55 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Ummm ... no one in this thread had claimed that crime doesn't exist here, so what's your point? Are we to expect a daily crime report from you?

Old 06-27-2017, 05:18 AM

28 posts, read 24,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Crime of the day:

Police: Mother pulled daughter to safety as armed man stole car with child inside :: WRAL.com

I'm not sure if this is considered RTP - if not, just outside it.
Ummm that's in Durham, not Cary. Also, I'm not looking for an area that has no crime. I know that crime exists in every city. I'm simply trying to research subdivisions within these areas that may have a higher crime rate than other areas.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabrook133 View Post
Hold up. Holly Springs is not boring Cary is suburban fascist at it finest and completely disjointed. Raleigh is expensive unless you move east and south. Apex is so soccer mom it ain't even funny! Your bang for your buck plus some good activities and excellent access to Raleigh and Durham is FV (Fuquay Varina). While I live in HS I truly admire the charm of Fuquay and the direct access to Raleigh via 401 and 30 to 40 minutes to Durham via 55 and NC540 (Tolled). BTW if you like getting stuck in traffic everyday for hours then by all means look at North Raleigh and Wake Forest hell even Rolesville. Crime is not an issue anywhere in wake county but there are parts that are more susceptible. That is not uncommon in any part of this country.
"Suburban fascist?"

I think that Fuquay-Varina would be dreadfully boring and it, along with Holly Springs, is expanding rapidly and won't be any different than Cary before you know it except it'll be farther from the center of the Triangle and RE is about location, so why move there?

I guess you have "suburban fascism" to look forward to?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielscars View Post
Ummm that's in Durham, not Cary. Also, I'm not looking for an area that has no crime. I know that crime exists in every city. I'm simply trying to research subdivisions within these areas that may have a higher crime rate than other areas.

Thanks!
I really think the crime maps are your best bet. We don't really have much in the way of "this subdivision is crime central and the one down the street is not" going on around here.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
My vote is Cary.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:48 PM

22 posts, read 37,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
"Suburban fascist?"

I think that Fuquay-Varina would be dreadfully boring and it, along with Holly Springs, is expanding rapidly and won't be any different than Cary before you know it except it'll be farther from the center of the Triangle and RE is about location, so why move there?

I guess you have "suburban fascism" to look forward to?

Question is you think or you know is boring? They are far different. Also what does boring mean? I am not sure a single town except Raleigh can claim any resemblances of not being boring. Also, my reasoning for the term fascism with Cary is due to everything having to be the same and all built around subdivisions. I cannot argue H.S is heading down that same path. To me the most important aspect when moving in Wake county is location (relative to job and school). Otherwise everywhere is accessible to everywhere and in the end we are all one community (i hope)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary